Sign in to follow this  
king canary

Overrated/Underrated

In attempt to spark a debate on here...

Who are your most overrated and underrated players you''ve seen play for Norwich in your opinion?

For me-

Overrated- Elliott Bennett. Seems a lovely chap but pretty bang average. Ran up and down a lot and did good social media so people bought into him yet never really impressed me. Unlike...

Underrated- Anthony Pilkington. Proper talent. Could use both feet well, generally excellent delivery both from dead balls and open play and could beat a man yet never got the appreciation he deserved.

Who ya got?

Underrated: Andrew Surman - people gave him a lot of stick, but was a solid, consistent midfielder for us, showing it with over 9000 minutes played in the prem over the last 3 seasons, with a bournemouth team consistantly buying new players.

Overrated: Snoddy; only rated by probably 50% of the fan base, but was quite greedy with the ball. however when he did decide to cross they were quite good.

[quote user="Redders Right Foot"]Underrated: Andrew Surman - people gave him a lot of stick, but was a solid, consistent midfielder for us, showing it with over 9000 minutes played in the prem over the last 3 seasons, with a bournemouth team consistantly buying new players.
Overrated: Snoddy; only rated by probably 50% of the fan base, but was quite greedy with the ball. however when he did decide to cross they were quite good.[/quote]
Can happily agree with those two, I was ashamed at several matches I went to where Surman was given abuse, once even as he was about to take a corner.  Snodgrass.....well don''t start me on that one.....

Wouldn''t disagree with Snoddy, was one of the key reasons for our failure (along with Hughton''s dire tactics) that we failed that season.
Underrated - I''d be doing myself a disservice if I didn''t say RvW [:D]

Totally agree with Surman, a true pass and move player that made the whole team look better always looking to create a passing option even if he knew he would receive the ball. Some fans cant see a decent player unless he''s dribbling past 3 players, cracking the ball into the top corner or spraying 60 yard passes about.

Tettey until last season I would also say was in that boat, the amount of fans who whine about him in the stands yet see none of the dirty gritty work he''s doing to protect the whole defence.

Overrated - Current set up Pinto the guy cant defend and cant cross he does however run fast and comes across a decent guy so lots of fans love him. Past players i think Goss was alittle overrated, some brilliant volley''s, a super famous goal and that''s what people remember, I''m not saying he was poor but nowhere near as good as the goals against Bayern and Leeds let history believe.

Yes have to agree with Benno, lovely guy and his goal at Spurs was wonderfull, but really, apart from that, he failled too often to deliver performances comensurate with his reputation.
As for undervalued, well it has to be his namesake, gained promotion last season and did a good job, took far to much critisim from "supporters"

[quote user="lake district canary"]Snodgrass.....well don''t start me on that one.....[/quote]
[quote user="Indy_Bones"]Wouldn''t disagree with Snoddy, was one of the key reasons for our failure (along with Hughton''s dire tactics) that we failed that season.[/quote]Worth noting: neither of you rarely attend matches at Carrow Rd because if you did, I think you both may have had a different view of him. [N]

Overrated (by me): Keith O''Neill. On first viewing I thought we had a real star on our hands.Underrated: Gordon Bolland. In the large shadow cast by Ron Davies.

"neither of you rarely attend matches at Carrow Rd"
are you sure thats what you meant lappin

Benno (Elliott) didn’t really recover from his injury did he?

[quote user="lappinitup"]
[quote user="lake district canary"]Snodgrass.....well don''t start me on that one.....[/quote]
[quote user="Indy_Bones"]Wouldn''t disagree with Snoddy, was one of the key reasons for our failure (along with Hughton''s dire tactics) that we failed that season.[/quote]Worth noting: neither of you rarely attend matches at Carrow Rd because if you did, I think you both may have had a different view of him. [N]
[/quote]
Please don''t bring that one out Lapps.  I was at several matches early in the season after Eliot Bennett was injured and Snodgrass was awful, not at the races at all.  Then came the penalty incident and he couldn''t contain himself to get to take that penalty. His whole persona relies on him thinking he is the main man - and it was totally obvious he tried to be that after Holt left. Good managers that they are, Warnock and Bruce massaged his ego enough to get the best out of him. He was unhappy at Hull after Bruce left then Bilic at Wet Spam didn''t massage his ego enough and he was worse than rubbish there. Hughton, once Bennett was injured, had little option but to play Snodgrass and the consequences were a poor season all round. Yes, Snodgrass scored a few goals, but his cry baby histrionics at free kicks not given, usually after him falling over at the slightest touch after he had held on to the ball too long, was amateurish, his attitude to the penalty incident against Villa was criminal and overall his holding on to the ball too long was one of the main reasons we looked so pedestrian.  Now I didnt have to be at CR to see and know all that, but I also understand that people liked him because he "wore his heart on his sleeve" but then you look at it like me - was the team successful because of the way he played - and no it wasn''t. Overated. Imo [;)]

I totally respect that you disagree with myself and LDC in regards to Snoddy, and I also know that no matter what I post you''ll still probably disagree anyway, but let me point something out.
That season almost all of our play was focused down the right hand side through Snoddy, on the left we had a fairly raw Redmond and Pilks coming back from injury, so you''d expect a player who was apparently an integral part of the side to really have performed, yet in many of the key metrics - he was poor.
Take crossing, for every 2.1 accurate crosses he sent over 7.1 inaccurate crosses which is a 21% success rate - a pretty poor conversion level, now compare this to Redmond who sent over 1.1 accurate crosses for every 3.3 inaccurate ones which is a 33% success rate - far better than Snoddy in this respect. Pilks also converted at a 33% rate for that matter.
Snoddy also had a lower overall pass success rate than either of Redmond or Pilks, and in terms of assists, both of them again outperformed him in conversion rate vs minutes played per assist.
The only real area he had either of them beat was in terms of goals, yet that''s not suprising considering he was on most of the set pieces, hogged the ball and rarely made a good pass to a striker.
Say what you will, but I saw a selfish, overrated player who wasn''t as good as either of the other wingers on the opposite side, but saw WAY more of the ball...

Most overrated? There are too many I''m afraid.

The most underrated to me was the late Terry Anderson. Silky skills on the ball and always fitted in wherever several managers played him.

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="lake district canary"]  Snodgrass.....well don''t start me on that one.....
[/quote]
Well that didn''t take long.
Lapps casts the bait at 5.07pm and at 5.44pm he has a bite....[:D]
[/quote]Going down the pub now Smithy, I''ll check my line in the morning. [:D]
Hate to think I''d foul hooked a couple. [;)]

Underrated Jason Shacknell

Overrated .....Player Russ Martin when he played CB

Overrated Manager Daniel Farke ( hope i am wrong ! )