Sign in to follow this  
Derby Canary

Remi Matthews

Daniel Farke''s five minutes of bullshitting to explain that Remi is not up to the job;

http://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/canaries-farke-matthews-talks-after-krul-signing-1-5625587

Hope he is a tad briefer and a hell of a lot more direct in his message to players!

[quote user="Derby Canary"]Daniel Farke''s five minutes of bullshitting to explain that Remi is not up to the job;

http://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/canaries-farke-matthews-talks-after-krul-signing-1-5625587

Hope he is a tad briefer and a hell of a lot more direct in his message to players![/quote]
and people suggest you don''t really like our club
I wonder why they think that ?
ps any news on Waghorn ?

[quote user="Derby Canary"]Daniel Farke''s five minutes of bullshitting to explain that Remi is not up to the job;

Hope he is a tad briefer and a hell of a lot more direct in his message to players![/quote]

Daniel Farke was spot on, and has clearly handled the situation superbly 👍

Derby Canary is one of those posters who you never consider even exists until he comes up with one of his absolute BS posts. Can we not get him banned?

Isn''t the point, though, that this suggests Matthews will not even be on the bench (possibly because he will be loaned out again), which at the moment leaves McGovern. Unless that talk of scouting Bundesliga 2 had something behind it.

Very honest assessment from DF. Tough message for the lad to take but we must have confidence in the keeper if we want to have a decent season.

Agree with PC that it looks like Matthews won''t be on the bench.

Somewhere as first choice, and with a bit of pressure (and noise).
Farke has set the bar high and I suspect it will about points being lost rather than gained as the season progresses.

[quote user="Gordon Bennett"]No bullish!tting that I can see.[/quote]
As others have said, above
This was about Farke being tactful
He was asked a quite direct question and replied quite openly
Well done him and good luck to Remi

Well done DF. As a coach, goalkeeper is probably the only position he would find difficulty in judging.

No doubt he has seen himself and had to make a decision quickly as I think we all believed Remi was going to be the number one.

A loan must be the way to restore his confidence.

[quote user="keelansgrandad"]Well done DF. As a coach, goalkeeper is probably the only position he would find difficulty in judging.

No doubt he has seen himself and had to make a decision quickly as I think we all believed Remi was going to be the number one.

A loan must be the way to restore his confidence.[/quote]

No room for pussyfooting in this game/league. Decent as the lad is may as well be honest. If the pressure is too much in friendlies/preseason at aged 24 one more season out on loan will make little difference. He received lots of plaudits from his Ln Manager last year which should have set him up for this year. Probably best for all concerned for him to look to his future at a lower level.

Wonder if he''ll go back to Plymouth.

Shame as I was really pulling for him to take his chance but he just hasn''t looked good enough in pre-season.

Funny that the idea of McGovern being number one is never mentioned- what a waste of wages he''s been.

[quote user="king canary"]

Funny that the idea of McGovern being number one is never mentioned- what a waste of wages he''s been.[/quote]Would you have dropped Gunn last year to give him some games?
Or.....
If Gunn had been suspended or injured McGovern is an able deputy and would have been ready to take his place.
Which keeper did you have in mind who would do it for free?

DF has put his faith in Krul instead of Remi which is fine thats is what he is paid to do

i just Hope Krul can find some of his old form Fitness or this could leave us with McGovern as No1

Absolutely agree with Lappin. The way KC has put that is if McGovern sits on his bum doing nothing, when of course the fact is that he has to train every bit as hard as any other player at City, obviously having to be as fit and ready to deputise at a split second in case injury crocks the No. 1. In fact, to have a guy at the club, be it GK or anyone, who knows hes not no.1 for his given position, but is realistic in knowing he will likely have to wait  his chance for an injury to the main guy to be able to take over, is as important as the main guy himself. McGovern has been in this scenario for 2 or 3 seasons now, im sure like most professionals he would much rather play games, so fair dues to the man as regards this.
For Remi...well yes there is the scenario that he could go to Plymouth or elsewhere on loan again, but what a shame that would be. In my opinion, he should stay at City as no. 2, play him in the Cup games, and , like McGovern above, wait his chance. We were very fortunate last season that Angus played pretty much the whole season with no injuries, i am not convinced Tim Krul will go thru a whole season unscathed, in which case i would love to see Remi then get his chance, i rate him higher than McGovern. So having him out on loan again, he would miss his chance and yes despite pre season, i think Remi would do a decent job...but im not DF so my opinion counts for nothing.

[quote user="Essjayess"]
Absolutely agree with Lappin. The way KC has put that is if McGovern sits on his bum doing nothing, when of course the fact is that he has to train every bit as hard as any other player at City, obviously having to be as fit and ready to deputise at a split second in case injury crocks the No. 1. In fact, to have a guy at the club, be it GK or anyone, who knows hes not no.1 for his given position, but is realistic in knowing he will likely have to wait  his chance for an injury to the main guy to be able to take over, is as important as the main guy himself. McGovern has been in this scenario for 2 or 3 seasons now, im sure like most professionals he would much rather play games, so fair dues to the man as regards this.
For Remi...well yes there is the scenario that he could go to Plymouth or elsewhere on loan again, but what a shame that would be. In my opinion, he should stay at City as no. 2, play him in the Cup games, and , like McGovern above, wait his chance. We were very fortunate last season that Angus played pretty much the whole season with no injuries, i am not convinced Tim Krul will go thru a whole season unscathed, in which case i would love to see Remi then get his chance, i rate him higher than McGovern. So having him out on loan again, he would miss his chance and yes despite pre season, i think Remi would do a decent job...but im not DF so my opinion counts for nothing.
[/quote]
But if the judgement is that he is not up to speed for the first team, giving him the odd go at it is not going to help him. Far better to go to club at a level he can learn more from and come back a better player and temperamentally better placed to challenge.  He looked pretty nervous in the pre-season match I saw, poor clearances and a soft goal - and that was presumably in front of just a few hundred people.
How you bridge the gap, I don''t know - he has to go away and sort out in his own head why he hasn''t made the step up to be able to take the number 1 shirt - another loan to Plymouth would be ideal imo. They have lost his replacement with a broken ankle, so are looking for another keeper and they know Remi did a good job last season.

@Lapps

I wouldn''t have signed him in the first place as we already had the more than capable Declen Rudd in our squad who could have been number two.

McGovern wasn''t signed like a Jake Kean or Paul Jones to sit on the bench and I''d take a decent gamble that his wages reflect that.

"The way KC has put that is if McGovern sits on his bum doing nothing"

No, no I didn''t.

I said waste of wages- my understanding is he''s paid pretty well and yet has never really staked a claim for the number one job.

[quote user="CANARYKING"]What did you expect him to say “ Remi you’re a rubbish keeper, buggor off “[/quote]

Sometimes CANARYKING being frank and of course honest is all part and parcel of the most successful Manager''s job! Although put in a marginally more eloquent style than your attempt. How do you think Messrs Clough,Ferguson,Revie and even Shankly went about it.........not by pussyfooting I assure you!

[quote user="king canary"]"The way KC has put that is if McGovern sits on his bum doing nothing"

No, no I didn''t.

I said waste of wages- my understanding is he''s paid pretty well and yet has never really staked a claim for the number one job.[/quote]
He did in the 16/17 season.

I don''t count being a bit shit for 15-20 games to be staking a claim.

He''s yet another gold star for Alex Neil in the transfer market.

Loan yes, but can’t agree that sending him back to Plymouth would be ideal.

Surely he needs to be sent somewhere else outside of his comfort zone for his next loan if he is to develop further.

Agree with Essjayess and Lappin on McGovern''s attitude. He seems well liked within the squad, and it must be hard knowing you''re not first choice, yet have to be on your game to step up if required. However, Farke hasn''t ever considered him for the first team in a competitive match (did he even play cup games last year?), so I really don''t see what future he has here.

Personally, I think McGovern''s an OK shot stopper, but doesn''t seem comfortable with the ball at his feet in the same way Gunn was. And that''s an important part of how Farke wants to play. I haven''t seen enough of Remi or Krul to know if they are either.

With Krul as number one, surely McGovern or Matthews will go out on loan. The conveyor belt continues of course with Aston Oxborough, who might be in Remi''s shoes next season looking for a loan.

[quote user="king canary"]I don''t count being a bit shit for 15-20 games to be staking a claim.

He''s yet another gold star for Alex Neil in the transfer market.[/quote]
Maybe we should petition all the stats web sites to delete his details from thier records then, just put a note in that says ''some bloke on the internet says it''s not valid so we''ve left it blank''. [:D]

Yes, I said delete his stats. Well done.

People on here truly cannot read today...

From the Cambridge Dictionary...

"If you stake a claim to something, you say or show that you have a right to it and that it should belong to you"

In my opinion McGovern didn''t show enough in those games to show the number one shirt should belong to him.

Hope that helps.

Imo McGovern represents a good stand by goalkeeper.  He probably knows what he needs to do to break into the team and probably been working at his game behind the scenes to improve - being a good pro. In the end it all depends on the individual - some would just want to go out and get games, others happy to work in the background to improve and then try and take their chance when it comes. 
If he is to be the second keeper this season, he will almost certainly get games at some point and we know he is a good shot stopper, so isn''t without ability and won''t let us down.  So maybe he wasn''t so good coming off his line, but maybe he has been working on that in the last two or three years.