Sign in to follow this  
dylanisabaddog

£8m for Waghorn!

One thing we could learn from that lot down the road is how to sell a player. £8m for Waghorn is ridiculous.

Derby going for the most expensive ever 7th place 😂

?

I''d suggest the fact we''ve got north of £35m reportedly for two players with basically no top flight experience this summer suggests we know how to sell a player...

16 goals and 11 assists last year would suggest that Derby are getting him for a pretty fair price. Will hit the binners massively.

Fair enough. Derby will be in the promotion mix and this player has some of the best stats in the league. I agree with Mike. Even with £8m to spend those goals and assists will be hard to replace especially from a midfield position. Relegation beckons.

Decent business by Ipswich for a forward that, although performed well under McCarthy, doesn''t really fit into the new boss'' way of playing football.

More intriguing is Derby again splashing the cash. If they don''t get promoted this season, then surely their spending will catch up with them very soon.

Derby also getting Marriott from Peterborough. Believe this is then spending the Vydra money before they confirm that deal. Waghorn and Marriott for Vydra seems okay on paper.

Does sound like the headline £8m for Waghorn includes a substantial promotion clause though, so Ipswich May never see a lot of that money.

Good deal for Ipswich. Hurst will look to do things differently, they''ve signed Ellis Harrison from Bristol Rovers for under £1 million and sold Waghorn for £8 million, can''t argue with the business sense there. If Harrison settles in and gets a few in their first few games that''ll be very tidy business from both a financial and a football point of view.
Derby and Forest are going to be big rivals this season in more ways than one. Plenty of little sub plots through the Champ, going to be a very interesting season again.

Shows how valuable strikers are at this level though- £8m based on one good season at this level.

I''m still convinced we can get a decent fee for Nelson based on this.

[quote user="A Load of Squit"]
I think we should judge the price for Waghorn when he is sold and not by the inflated figures discussed in transfer speculation.
[/quote]
transfer fees are always what speculation is in the media, not an actual report on the signed contract
look at how Wildschuut''s £7m fee was backed up later...........or not, as the case now is

Perhaps Delia should open one of her restaurants at Portman Road as all their signings are being described as ''hungry'' (and lower league.)

We have frequently benefitted from plucking players from L1 etc, particularly under Lambert, so it could work.

Lambert had Grant Holt though, whilst Hurst has just lost his Holt type influence in Waghorn and all his replacements are from the lower leagues.

The league development system suggests that these players are plying their trade in the basement areas for a reason but that is not set in stone and we have reason enough to believe that it hardly applies to the Bundeslegia.

Let''s all hope that Paul Hurst''s lower league mentality fails to bare fruit at Championship level.

Waghorn is the one player from the binners that I wouldn''t have minded in the yellow, but £8m would be stretching it a bit and I am quite happy with our Summer dealings in any case.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]Perhaps Delia should open one of her restaurants at Portman Road as all their signings are being described as ''hungry'' (and lower league.)

We have frequently benefitted from plucking players from L1 etc, particularly under Lambert, so it could work.

Lambert had Grant Holt though, whilst Hurst has just lost his Holt type influence in Waghorn and all his replacements are from the lower leagues.

The league development system suggests that these players are plying their trade in the basement areas for a reason but that is not set in stone and we have reason enough to believe that it hardly applies to the Bundeslegia.

Let''s all hope that Paul Hurst''s lower league mentality fails to bare fruit at Championship level.

Waghorn is the one player from the binners that I wouldn''t have minded in the yellow, but £8m would be stretching it a bit and I am quite happy with our Summer dealings in any case.[/quote]
Wasn''t Bryan Gunn our manager when we signed Grant Holt?

[quote user="Old Shuck"]
Good deal for Ipswich. Hurst will look to do things differently, they''ve signed Ellis Harrison from Bristol Rovers for under £1 million and sold Waghorn for £8 million, can''t argue with the business sense there. If Harrison settles in and gets a few in their first few games that''ll be very tidy business from both a financial and a football point of view.
Derby and Forest are going to be big rivals this season in more ways than one. Plenty of little sub plots through the Champ, going to be a very interesting season again.
[/quote]

Although I must admit i''ve never seen him play, relying on this guy from Bristol Rovers to replace Waghorn would be a big risk for the sc*m in my book. He''s 24 and has been playing at that level for a few years and even last season was not prolific. Its a big ask for him to come in and score 15 plus in the championship looking at his past record.

Personally i would be more concerned facing a sc*m side with Waghorn and McGoldrick in it than with any of the players they have left or have brought in.

We know that, but Lambert still had him.

Where do Derby get all their money from? Perhaps we could get BJ back cut price. Not much of a footballing superstar, but what an influence.

While I don''t disagree in principle it is worth remembering that quite a few of us (myself included I think) had a good chuckle at the idea of Waghorn and Garner as a strike force yet they both outperformed our strikers.

I''m assuming the Bristol Rovers lad has attributes they liked as his stats don''t jump off the page.

Maybe meaningless numbers are not what players are judged by
if only that they give no context
about as much use as judging a cake solely by the ingredients listed

I haven''t bothered with anything TWTD for a few weeks now but with one of my Monday golf group being a ''Town'' fan (albeit a plastic like me) and the heat denying that extra 9 we delved into that site with due diligence and with the assistance of Bombardier Bitter

It does seem that the Paul Hurst revolution down there is becoming the equivalent of our own last season but with an English league emphasis instead.

Let''s hope that it is as under whelming as our own season turned out to be.

[quote user="king canary"]?

I''d suggest the fact we''ve got north of £35m reportedly for two players with basically no top flight experience this summer suggests we know how to sell a player...[/quote]
A fact?...sorry king but i suggest that "north of 35 mill" is anything other than a fact. Best or nearest non factual figures i saw quoted are around 22 mill for Madders and around 10 and half mill for Josh. Take away Coventry''s couple mill slice of the Madders deal, then the figure would be around 30 mill, but non of us know the exact factual amount.
But i agree with you that in general, over the past few seasons to, we have more often than not got a good fee for selling our players. If 8 mill is to the be the figure for Waghorn, then fair dues, he is likely worth it based on his stats for last season. Good money for Town, likely enough to keep their buying power afloat for the next 10 seasons

Waghorn has been a decent player at every club he''s been at, so no surprise he could command this level of fee - hardworking, and scores goals.

Derby have a novice manager; Leeds have a nutter; Ipswich have a young upstart; QPR have an old fart; we have a German with a plan.

Who knows what the season will bring - but it''s a lot more entertaining than the boring Premier League.

[quote user="kick it off"]Fee being reported for Marriott is 3m rising to 5m with add ons. That''s a steal if true[/quote]Still a gamble on a guy with a single good season at L1 level tbh, but with the current prices is absolutely a risk worth taking IMHO.

Does this mean Ipshit are in transition? As ever it will be an interesting comparison between us and them and who can progress the fastest.

On paper we seem to have developed the squad well. Farke now needs to deliver. No excuses now.

Looks like the Waghorn move is on hold at the moment as Vydra has priced himself out of a move to Leeds.
Waghorn hasn''t played in any of their pre-season games so will be interesting to see if he starts on Sat, if he''s not moved before then.

The news of Waghorn''s possible £8 million move was met with some surprise. Rangers fans were never really convinced by him.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/martyn-waghorn-8million-latest-moves-12985378

Apples

Waghorn certainly did well for McCarthy and you sometimes get a player that is ideally suited to a managers way of playing. Not entirely sure he would do well under Lampard but with Vydra not going to Leeds, I would suggest this deal is in serious doubt now.

Not sure if they would have let McGoldrick go, if they thought that Waghorn might slap in a transfer request.

Vydras wage demands have certainly upset a few, Leeds have been negotiating for weeks and now he isnt keen on moving to a "club that finished below Derby last season"; (yes - it is all about wages)

Derby seem to be in a similar position to ours over the last couple of seasons, want to move plenty of players on but are hamstrung by the high wage bill that their aging squad are on meaning buyers are very thin on the ground.

Derby need to move Vydra on for both FFP purposes & to enable them to sign Waghorn - which looks increasingly unlikely. Sheff Utd will look to step in but probably at a cheaper valuation as there is less interest.

Ipswich clearly expect Waghorn to go; like Nelson he hasnt featured in pre season and doesnt seem like a Hurst type of player - they do need his fee to enable them to complete some other business incl. an Accrington striker.

Getting most of our moves completed early does seem increasingly sensible and we can still strike for a couple of loans yet - its gonna be a manic few days.