Sign in to follow this  
Colourful Canary

Could Internationals scupper homegrown plans?

As I understand it, we need to have 7 homegrown players in every matchday squad. In today''s Pinkun interview, Daniel Farke names 8 players and says he is not worried about fulfilling the quota.

But what if say Hanley, Gofrey, Lewis, or Cantwell are called up by their countries. There is no guarantee that the League would grant a postponement. Are we sailing dangerously close to the wind on this issue, would academy starlets be promoted or are we about to see a couple more homegrown loans coming in?

What happens if, say because of injuries, we can''t muster up the seven required?

Presumably we would just name one or two U23''s on the bench. The subs options would be weakened but other than that???

Internationals obviously aren’t a concern as the Championship has international breaks. Farke as named 8 players there, but also missed off some - Krul and Matthews make 10 homegrown players.

While I think it is still a bit close, it shouldn’t cause any major headaches through the season.

Yes it is looking much better than it was.

I''d expect Krul, Lewis, Hanley and Rhodes to start most games.

If Matthews is backup keeper then we only need to add two more to the bench.

You''re right, I forgot that the Chamionship had international breaks......I have noticed that the top clubs, who like us, have a lot if foreign players are taking this issue seriously, as evidenced by the at first glance odd signings of goalkeepers Lee Grant by Manchester United and Robert Green by Chelsea..

Bethnal what would happen in the unlikely event say our 10 homegrown players were injured ?

would you then go to the league a protest the case or would it just be have to use homegrown under 23''s ?

So why has Robert Green been bought by Chelsea exactly? It seems that he''ll get his premiership wages just for fulfilling his role as a homegrown player in the 25 man squad and probably won''t ever even make the bench.

Exactly that Colourful.

Chelsea need 8 ''homegrown'' players in their squad.

The 3rd choice keeper is a perfect spot to fill one of those quota on the cheap if you don''t have enough players.

If Norwich have zero homegrown players I believe they would be able to play, but with no substitutes. So in reality you’d just pack the bench with U23 players to make up numbers (not Idah of course as he isn’t homegrown).

As for Green, he is there as 3rd choice keeper as you say he’ll almost certainly not play but no club seems to dare only have 2 keepers - Chelsea don’t want to ‘waste’ a non-homegrown slot on 3rd choice keeper. Richard Wright did this for Man City for years - be there just in case but ultimately not appear. I would imagine Green would also help with coaching and work towards his badges while at Chelsea.

The 8 homegrown slots don’t have to be filled, you can just leave a blank space in he registration instead.

Most teams don’t reach the 25 man limit as players under 21 don’t have to be register at all.

Football was so popular because it was so simple. Very few rules. 92 clubs and players bought and sold. Players not up to it were placed on the transfer list and moved on.

Now we have to check whether we have enough home grown players and in which age category etc.

I do yearn for football to become simple again.

It is all a bit complicated but luckily we don''t have to worry about it. By the time we see the match day squad it will be sorted.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]If Norwich have zero homegrown players I believe they would be able to play, but with no substitutes. So in reality you’d just pack the bench with U23 players to make up numbers (not Idah of course as he isn’t homegrown).

As for Green, he is there as 3rd choice keeper as you say he’ll almost certainly not play but no club seems to dare only have 2 keepers - Chelsea don’t want to ‘waste’ a non-homegrown slot on 3rd choice keeper. Richard Wright did this for Man City for years - be there just in case but ultimately not appear. I would imagine Green would also help with coaching and work towards his badges while at Chelsea.[/quote]

Idah surely would count as homegrown as he has spent more than a year with us before his under 19 year, or doesn''t that count until he''s over 19.