Sign in to follow this  
Grumpy

Team for Brum

I think they will go with a 4-1-4-1 formation.I am not quite sure how this home grown player malarky works but for me the possible team would be -

Matthews - I have a feeling there might be a loan deal done here

Passlack Hanley Klose Lewis

Thompson

Buendia Leitner McLean Hernandez

Pukki

That would leave Steipermann,Pinto,Vrancic,Marshall,Rhodes,Trybull,Aarons,Godfrey,Tettey,Raggett,Cantwell,Srybeni,Oliveiraand McGovern to contest the other places.

.I suspect that there might be a couple move on and another couple might go out on loan.

I''d say

Matthews

Klose, Hanley, Zimmerman

Passlack, Trybull, Leitner, Lewis

McLean, Rhodes, Hernandez

Bench of McGovern, Godfrey, Thompson, Buendia, Srebeny, Pukki, Marshall

[quote user="ron obvious"]You forgot the Zimm for some reason. Pretty important for us I suspect.[/quote]

Yes you are correct-that was a bad miss.Another one to the list

I also missed out Martin and Wildchut as I don''t think they will feature

KC

Isn''t that only six for the Home Grown rule?

That rule is certainly close to causing problems for DF naming a match day squad.

I havent seen anything that suggests a back four will become successful for us; neither the fullback s nor the centre backs seem good enough to perform adequately in that formation. The only exception may be a 4231.

I think we may yet see signings to change things but currently, & subject to fitness, I would prefer a 3331

Matthews*

Hanley* Zimmerman Klose

Passlack Tettey Lewis*

Hernandez Leitner Pukki

Rhodes*

Subs

McGovern, Thompson,* Godfrey*, Marshall* Trybull, Srbeny, Buendia

Apart from the keeper the hardest position to fill is the holding midfield.It seems the player in that role is going to be one of the following, Godfrey,Thompson,Trybull and Tetley

I think the midfield is easily the toughest part of the team to put together.

Will we just play one of Tettey/Trybull/Thompson?

What about McLean or Leitner? Also Vrancic when he comes back.

If we play a 3-4-3 who plays either side of the main striker?

Of our wider players, is Marshall a winger or a wing back primarily? What is Buendia like? Is Yanic in the plans as he seems to have had minutes this pre season?

It is really good to see options there. From early preseason it seems like McLean and Hernandez are making strong cases to start. Godfrey looks like he might be used in defence as part of a back three at times. Thompson has been surprisingly involved, as has Yanic.

Think we will start to get more clues from today’s friendly. Farke said the early ones were fitness and now it’s onto tactics - so I expect less players out of position we will start to see what Farke has planned.

Buendia mainly plays on the left and cuts inside, he would be perfect as the left sided forward in a 3-4-3, like Hazard plays for Chelsea.

I think 5-3-2 will make a few appearances again this season, so Pukki and Rhodes up front, McClean or Leitner behind and Trybull/Godfrey/Vrancic/Tettey/Thompson holding.

I also think if Thompson continues to impress then the Godfrey may end up on loan to Rotherham this season.

@Bethnal

I can see Godfrey being used mainly as a central defender in the back 3 above Raggett in the pecking order- he''s naturally more comfortable on the ball and can step out with it.

I think it is 7- Matthews, Hanley, Lewis, Rhodes, Godfrey, Thompson, Marshall

Isn''t Hanley a Scottish international?

He is but that isn''t what determines it- Rhodes is also a Scottish international.

It is about where you trained between 16-21. So if you trained at an English League club for three years in that spell you count as homegrown. Hanley was at Blackburn so meets the criteria.

As has been mentioned before, Cesc Fabregas counts as ''homegrown'' as he was at Arsenal in those years.

I wonder why they chose 21. In everything else 18 is a bench mark?

For me I want to see a solid back ''5'' with Godfrey or Trybull protecting the back 4 all game until Tettey is back in contention. And then a flowing forward thinking ''5'' that support Rhodes as much as possible.

. Matthews/Loan Keeper

Paaslack Hanley Klose Lewis

. Godfrey/Trybull

. McLean Leitner

Hernandez Pukki

. Rhodes

For me I would like to see a 5-3-2

Matthews

Passlac-Klose-Hanley-Zimmermann-Lewis

Trybull-Leitner

McClean

Rhodes-Pukki

Bench take your pick. The one great thing reading this is the options we have at the moment and good options at that as well. At times I''ve looked at Norwich and thought who could change it from the bench but we have players to change tactics and or personal if games aren''t going well. I for one am excited for the season, it''ll probably change by October! lol

If we Play 5-3-2 then the wing backs Must attack more if we play with a DM that means we have 6 defending players on the pitch so we must have allow the attacking fullbacks to get forward as much as possible

i feel that was our problem last season we had only 4 attacking players who were isolated so if the ball was played to them they we swamped a lone striker is only any good if you get bodies around him

so 5 -3 -2 but a attacking mindset for me

Interesting changes against Charlton, some of the players that came on maybe forced their way into the team?
On merit of that game, it might suggest the line up could be something like this, with Lewis and Rhodes in the reckoning too...
                     Krul
Marshall Hanley Godfrey Lewis
                 Thompson
Hernandez Leitner  McLean Pukki
                     Rhodes
Buendia to come on later to add pace late on. 
I guess Klose and Trybull would be in there for Godfrey and Thompson, but the team above could well emerge during the season.

Wouldn’t want to see Godfrey in defence when playing a back 4, would be too easy to isolate him. Hanley and Klose the nailed on centrebacks.

Monk will look to dominate the ball in midfield so would be surprised to see both Pukki and Hernandez on the wings. Farke will keep everyone, including the opposition, guessing his final lineup. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Stiepermann start at left back though.

[quote user="Midlands Yellow"]Would take a point right now .[/quote]Love seeing some optimism [;)]We do look a bit sketchy at LB. I''m not sure why we haven''t brought in quality cover for this position.

Must say I''m less confident if we line up in the 4-1-4-1, I just don''t think it really suits the players we have.

I think 4-1-4-1 would be fine, as long as it is Trybull, Leitner + one of Thompson, Tettey or Godfrey. In the holding role. Probably Godfrey is the best option as he seems to have the best passing range right now.

If we see Trybull, Leitner and McClean as the central three I would worry that Farke is still plugging away at a formation and players that struggled to control games in the Championship.

I would now be very surprised if it is not a 4141 starting formation. As I have said for some time Trybull is not strong enough to deliver the holding role, which is essential to address the weaknesses in the back line - so the choice seems to be either Godfrey or Thompson.

For me I would be tempted to start with

Krul

Marshall Hanley Klose Steiperman

Thompson

Onel Leitner Trybull Buendia

Rhodes

Will be a fascinating opening week.

I agree with Bethnal. Leitner and Trybull are too lightweight in the holding role. Tettey, Godfrey or Thompson + Leitner, Trybull or Vrancic (when fit) should be much stronger.

We can then use Maclean, Hernandez, Buendia and Pukki further forward.

I''d go with;

Krul

Marshall Hanley Klose Stiepermann/Husband

Godfrey (Tettey if fit)

Hernandez Leitner MacLean Pukki

Rhodes