Sign in to follow this  
Derby Canary

Misplaced pessimism?

Whatever you say about the pros/cons of preseason friendlies the object is not to go all out and risk the kind of long term injuries that we incurred last year. However the real purpose is to ''gel'' the new ''intake'' and test the shape etc the team intends to employ.

Does not sound as though there was a lot of that going on on Sat:

http://norwichcity.myfootballwriter.com/2018/07/29/a-non-descriptive-80-minutes-followed-by-a-late-encouraging-flurry-but-two-big-questions-remain-unanswered/

Is it still felt that my pessimism regarding our owners/management committee remains misplaced? I am sure you will let me know although you might wish to give it the previously mentioned 10 games!

I would like to think after 50 years of watching Norwich City that I can take a balanced view of the current regime. Despite the clear evidence from last season that Farke''s desired style of play doesn''t work in the Championship there is no indication from pre season that he is about to change. I think we have enough good quality players to comfortably finish in the top 10 but we won''t.

How the players can have any confidence in Farke is beyond me. We have been told that some of them are too tired from training to actually play. But I''ll be at Birmingham in the hope that I''m wrong. As long as I''m not too tired after a week at work.......

[quote user="Derby Canary"]Whatever you say about the pros/cons of preseason friendlies the object is not to go all out and risk the kind of long term injuries that we incurred last year. However the real purpose is to ''gel'' the new ''intake'' and test the shape etc the team intends to employ.

http://norwichcity.myfootballwriter.com/2018/07/29/a-non-descriptive-80-minutes-followed-by-a-late-encouraging-flurry-but-two-big-questions-remain-unanswered/

Is it still felt that my pessimism regarding our owners/management committee remains misplaced? I am sure you will let me know although you might wish to give it the previously mentioned 10 games![/quote]
The poster is coming across as pessamistic about his pessimism.

I watched the Derby/Wolves game on Saturday to see what changes Frank Lampard

had made to a team with a poor attitude in the short time he has been there. Young, intelligent

manager with excellent connections in the game that he has put to good use with some

very positive recruits already. The team exhibited the attitude and ''shape'' that I referred to in my original post. Before you tell me to **** off and watch Derby full time, (that bothers me little) I am

no more a Rams fan than I am a ''Tractor Troll''. Merely a long term follower of my home town Club

with deep concerns about its inevitable demise under an incapable leadership.

If you want further evidence of our problems just listen to Farke in the latest video praising

his newly appointed captain. I assume he and the other four potentials that were on display on Saturday

(or Farke) could do anything about the ''we only have to turn up'' attitude that was apparently

exhibited, nor the continued inconsistency that is such a part of our performances in recent times.Sadly

both Leitner and Trybull (two that we were so ''optimistic'' about!) put in the kind

of performance that suggested that last year was about playing for contracts.

I ''have the feeling'' that it will be more of the same again this year!

[quote user="hogesar"]Uhhh... f*ck off and watch Derby full time?[/quote]

Should n''t you be at school hogesar so that you can construct your own sentences?

Meh, preseason. It all means so little in reality.

I was actually at the game rather than judging it from 2nd hand accounts and while Norwich weren’t great, they certainly weren’t as dire as that report in MFW.

The team looked lethargic, but it was confirmed after the game they had already trained that day as well as a double session the previous day - so they were always going to be a little less than 100%.

Luckily that was the last friendly so everyone can stop tying to read too much into them and the real football starts soon. Although if Leitner or Trybull misplace a pass or aren’t Messi-esq then I’m sure some on here will be out with the knifes sharpened. If Norwich should manage to somehow win I expect there are a lot of posters who won’t even appear (until a loss of course).

"The team looked lethargic, but it was confirmed after the game they had already trained that day as well as a double session the previous day - so they were always going to be a little less than 100%."

Out of interest, what is the point of doing this?

I think it is about getting them to peak fitness for the start of the season and not really worrying about their energy levels for friendlies, which makes sense really. But I have expressed my concerns in the past that it can lead to increased injuries in pre-season.

This year there were a fewer injuries so it looks like things have been better managed by Farke and sports scientists. Impact injuries in games are also more likely if players are over fatigued.

It should be remembered that many of our signings have come from leagues where the game is not played at such an intense pace - including the U23s.
I don''t doubt that the idea was to replicate an average Championship game over the training and friendly.
I suspect at the moment it is about developing the correct ''mental strength'' as Farke outlined after the game - over confidence.
Criticism of goals conceded have often focused on what is perceived as lapses of concentration - something our opponents suffered in that glorious equaliser against the binners.
Personally I am ok with the players being pushed. Now let''s see how it works out in League games

It was pre-season.
The players were in full training the day before. 
They were playing away to a team who, being lower league than us, would be more up for it than we would be. 
I don''t know how it works, but many of the starters would be thinking they will be in the team next week, so may not be trying too hard in case of injuries.
The best part about it was that there were some good displays late on in the game by subs who maybe thought they have to do extra well to force themselves into the reckoning for next week - and may well have done enough to give Farke some selection headaches for Birmingham. Marshall, Thompson, Buendia and Godfrey particularly.

It really is daft to read anything much into preseason, but that doesn''t stop us looking for signs - clearly getting hammered each game wouldn''t be good for morale, winning might bring complacency. IMO our record was decent enough, losing to Charlton was perhaps a good kick up the backside.

The main thing this season is surely that we don''t have long-term injuries to 2-3 players like we did last time.

As to pessimism, if you really can''t get at all enthused at the start of a new season you should perhaps look for something else to pass your time doing.

It depends on you''re perspective.

Realistically, we have little money, have had a huge turn over of players and left with a squad of promising youngsters and underachieving older players.

Realistically mid table is what we should expect.

No doubt there are still some who think we should be walking away with the league so if you have unrealistic expectations you should be pessimistic.

I''m optimistic personally..but in general don''t most fans hope for the best and expect the worst?

[quote user="Derby Canary"][quote user="hogesar"]Uhhh... f*ck off and watch Derby full time?[/quote]

Should n''t you be at school hogesar so that you can construct your own sentences?[/quote]
I really hope we win on Saturday. Won''t hear from you for at least a week.

[quote user="Derby Canary"]Whatever you say about the pros/cons of preseason friendlies the object is not to go all out and risk the kind of long term injuries that we incurred last year. However the real purpose is to ''gel'' the new ''intake'' and test the shape etc the team intends to employ.

Is it still felt that my pessimism regarding our owners/management committee remains misplaced? I am sure you will let me know although you might wish to give it the previously mentioned 10 games![/quote]

Fake news !

[quote user="Jim Bell"]Why are people always so beastly towards Derby

He always has a sensible view point

Engage in constructive debate rather than personal attacks[/quote]
It strikes me that Derby is likely the real-life ''Jim''.

At least the crowd got to see the new turd strip.

No wonder the players were lethargic wearing that.

[quote user="Jim Bell"]Why are people always so beastly towards Derby

Engage in constructive debate rather than personal attacks[/quote]With a picture of Mark Heap as your avatar I had always rather hoped that you''d be an intelligent fellow. Of course, Heap has been involved in various comedies and his favourite thing to do is weird satire so... I can only hope your posts follow this viewpoint [;)]

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="Jim Bell"]Why are people always so beastly towards Derby

Engage in constructive debate rather than personal attacks[/quote]
It strikes me that Derby is likely the real-life ''Jim''.
[/quote]

Sorry to disappoint you guys, "Jim Bell" is not me in disguise. He is merely a decent bloke willing to consider an alternative point of view. Your insults etc are no bother to me although occasionally and as an alternative it might be refreshing to hear some constructive responses to the points raised.

Why would someone respond constructively to your regularly deconstructive posts?

Well Derby, Bethnal responded to you, pointing out that he was at the game and didn’t agree with the report that you’d read, but you didn’t make any further comment on that so why would anyone else bother to respond to you?

[quote user="hogesar"]Why would someone respond constructively to your regularly deconstructive posts?[/quote]

The whole problem is Hogesar you (and your like with a blinkered view) regard anything that does not back the ''regime'' as ''destructive''.

As I have said previously the proof of the pudding etc so let results/performances be our judge and discuss again in 10 games. I''ll return to you again then for a review if you have stomach for it!

I don''t think it requires much intelligence to sniff out a binner