Sign in to follow this  
mr footy

Mid table squad

Getting top half at the end of the coming season will be a realistic target. There is nothing wrong with wanting top six but this squad is mid table at best.A lack of funds means loans which are always hit or miss.I have seen little in the friendlys to think otherwise.It will take years for our academy to produce enough players to make a difference. But there is nothing wrong with staying in this league. It is a very competitive league with plenty excellent teams.we are where we are.

Thing is, we all know that how a teams looks on paper does not always reflect how well it performs as a unit. After all, no one expected us to storm to promotion under Lambert so soon after promotion from League One.

This season is going to be a big test of Farke''s style of football.

Yes it is true that a group of average players can make a great team,sometimes. But this is not the norm so I can only go on the friendlys which were nothing great,ok,but not great.We have ok players who will compete.But in midtable unfortunately.

A lot depemds on Rhodes and Krul finding old form but I think a lot of clubs would take our spine.
We have players that underperformed last season as opposed to a bad squad.

Consolidation season for me. Finish a strong mid table, shift a few big earners in January, buy well next summer and it will have been a decent season based on how I rate the squad currently, with some potential to make more of a go of it next season.

The squad has some depth and is fairly solid across the board but is lacking any real quality.

Far too many unknowns to judge.

If McLean hits the ground running, Hernandez keeps his form from pre season up, Buendia adjusts quickly and Rhodes finds the net then we could make real progress.

My concerns are more around how Farke uses them than the quality in the squad.

Sky sports news website has put up a predicted championship league table with us in 14th. They don’t seem to rate us (or Farke) and suggest that whilst they “can’t tip us for relegation they can’t see us being any better than last season”.

Clearly means very little in reality but interesting to see that (some) outsiders seem to see us as “mid table with an outside chance of relegation” rather than outside bets for a playoff push.

i think the squad is ok for the season ahead

like others have said if Rhodes brought his old scoring boots with him he will score plenty

Krul another old form he was fantastic

can they regain their form ? who knows

some other unknown signings if they adapt then top 6 is possible

Farke is my biggest worry if he plays like last season we will be mid table if not worse

Middle table squad it is, will be a good season to make top 8 then, poor season 17th or lower and par elsewhere.

Time to enjoy the ride.

The manager will..as ever ...play a big part.

Neil Warnock managed to get an incredibly ordinary side promoted last season and would have had us higher in the league too and I''d still have him over Farke with our squad going into this season.

Still a lot of smoke and mirrors surrounding Farke , I''m just not convinced.

On paper it’s hard to see it as anything other than a mid table squad. Another poster refers to the team that Lambert got promoted, but that team had the belief and momentum of the previous season behind it, and a club and fans driving in the same direction, when a team has that then anything is possible, look at Leicester. I think the question that needs asking is can Farke as a manager get a team playing beyond its collective capabilities and turn a mid table squad into promotion contenders? So far you would have to say no on that.

Absolutely Gjl. I always think the manager is the single most important indicator. Most of us remember how Bond, Stringer, Walker, Lambert and to some degree Brown got largely journeyman pros to over-perform. This squad is to me pretty much par against last season. Trade the creativity and inspiration of Maddison for a goalscorer in Rhodes. We need to look at Farke, frankly I thought we underperformed last year with what we had at our disposal. Has he learned? Can he turn a bang average squad into promotion hopefuls through masterful tactics and man management? One season in and I''ve no idea. Can''t blame Sky for thinking as they do, it''s about right. Of course we all hope there is some way we can elevate ourselves above some very competent and decent clubs all trying to do the same. But, maybe, just maybe, Farke is the magic ingredient...........that is the key to our immediate destiny not so much the names on the squadlist.

I think we will finish in the top half, perhaps 8-9th, but it could be pretty-much anywhere; as Millwall and Cardiff proved last season, there''s always unfancied sides that do better than anticipated and hopefully we can be one of those. If we get off to a decent start, confidence will increase in supporters which would help a lot.

Sky have rightly said we''ll miss Maddison, but they have also said we haven''t signed many, conveniently missing (or probably not bothering to research) the point that we have signed Krul, Marshall, MacLean, Buendia, Passlack, Rhodes, Pukki and have Leitner back, plus Thompson and Godfrey in the squad.

I agree that if Farke can harness/use the attacking potential of Pukki, Marshall, Rhodes and Buendia, we''ll do OK.

[quote user="Cantiaci Canary"]For me it''s all about two things ...

1. How much will we miss Maddison

2. How much has Farke learned

I would predict us to finish around 12th.[/quote]

Everyone seems to forget that this time last year no-one knew how important Maddison would become - yet we were still as hopeful as ever. I think we became too dependent on him and several other players allowed him to take on the role of star player once he had scored a couple of crackers.

It was a bit like Argentina saying give it to Messi - he scored a couple of brilliant goals but couldn''t carry the whole team.

This year we don''t know if we have a gem or not - I hope Maclean and Buendia could be almost as good between them but I do think that overall we have a better squad with more depth. At the moment we don''t have a game changer that we know about, but there are plenty of possibilities.