Sign in to follow this  
hogesar

Webber today

It''s on the official site, but for those who don''t venture:

13:06

SW: The progress of the Academy building work has been good. The new pitches will be used in September. 

We''re ahead of schedule. We''re due to finish in June 2020 but that could be brought forward to the end of next year.

There''s floodlights on pitch one which helps everyone - the Under-23s will be playing on that this season.

13:03

SW: Matt [Jarvis] had a little operation to clean up part of his knee over the summer. He''s back in training on his own.

I hope for his sake he can get back. He''s a fantastic pro and really good guy.

13:02

SW: Remi will be the most likely to go out, sooner rather than later. He needs to play and it''s not going to happen here.

Russ had a slight back problem but I''m sure something will happen with him. The loan window is open past the deadline next week.

13:00

SW: I had an honest chat with Nelson at the end of the season. We agreed that he would move on. 

He''s a good guy and a excellent pro. He''s thoughtful as well.

We then had the same conversation when he came back. We always agreed he wouldn''t play the pre-season games. 

But the door is always open. He trains every day with the group and has a squad number - the same goes for Russell Martin.

Let''s see where it leads in the next four weeks.

12:58

SW: We''re really happy with the lads that are here now. We have great characters in the squad - Jordan Rhodes has given up money to come here!

People want to be part of this special club.

12:56

SW: We''re not quite done yet [with transfers]. The James [Maddison] deal is the biggest one I''ve ever been involved with.

I was relieved that he and Josh were done early. We miss them but it enabled us to put some work in.

We haven''t sat and counted the money. We had our targets lined up.

The window has gone pretty well so far and we should be happy with our business. 

It''ll be nice going into a board meeting this season and talk about other things, like how we develop the club, rather than how much money we have.

12:52

SW: We have to be realistic. We have to fight against inconsistency because there''s been lots of change over the club in the summer.

The league is tough but we have to believe in our way. We''re not chucking the cheque book at it, we''re focusing it on hard work.

It''s a big club with big expectation but all we''d ask is supporters to stick by us, like they did last season.

12:49

SW: Every club in the country wants a quick start. The key for us is we show a step forward.

We have to show that the squad and club is developing. We''ve worked hard on and off the pitch.

12:46

SW: It''s not an issue for us [Daniel''s contract]. With Daniel, me and him have an extremely good relationship.

We speak every day. We both talk about how we have to leave Norwich City in a much better place tan we found it.

I''m excited to see how Daniel tackles the league this season. In terms of his contract, he''s relaxed and we''re relaxed. When the time is right, we will talk.

12:43

SW: We''ve found a really good balance this summer and it will be tested over the next 9/10 months. 

It''s nice to have a year of working and having a summer of being well-prepared.

12:42

SW: Losing Josh and James is a massive blow for our sporting goals but it was essential for our club that we did it. 

We''ve tried to rectify it with the signings of Rhodes, Pukki and McLean who can all score goals.

We''re not stupid. Last season, scoring was the area we needed to develop. We need to become a better team, rather than a team of individuals.

12:40

SW: Pre-season has felt a lot more smooth. We''re certainly better prepared and closer to where we want to be.

12:39

SW: In general, we''re in a better place [than last season]. Last season we had two big injuries with Klose and Pritchard, so it''s nice not have that problem.

Given the comments about Oliveira and more potential transfers (I assume including in) I would expect us to be looking to bring in one more striker.

An interesting article however I do wish the club would stop patronising the fans.

We are not a special club just a football club hoping to improve just like every other. We are not "the greatest supporters in the world" as Delia has it. We are just fans hoping we have a really good season just like any other group of fans.

An interesting article however I do wish the club would stop patronising the fans.

I too find it a bit cheesy to keep hearing how wonderful everything is.

Just keep to the facts and that will keep the fans happy.

Are they patronising the fans or the customers. We may have top fans but do we have top customers?

[quote user="Crafty Canary"]

We are not a special club just a football club hoping to improve just like every other.[/quote]
Therein lies your problem. We are a special club, no other like it. Name a hundred clubs and I could tell you why Norwich is special as compared to them.  The most important element is where the city of Norwich is situated and the lifestyle and character of the county - very few clubs can match that - none in fact that I can think of. 

Cutting through that, though, I don''t think there''s too many clubs where you''d get anything like this level of information from those running the club.

lake district canary wrote the following post at 03/08/2018 4:27 PM:

Crafty Canary wrote:

We are not a special club just a football club hoping to improve just like every other.

Therein lies your problem. We are a special club, no other like it. Name a hundred clubs and I could tell you why Norwich is special as compared to them. The most important element is where the city of Norwich is situated and the lifestyle and character of the county - very few clubs can match that - none in fact that I can think of.

On the basis of location, lifestyle and county characteristics then Carlisle United are special, God forgive me, Ipswich Town are special, Yeovil Town are special. In fact on your basis most clubs are special. That makes a mockery of the term special.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]Cutting through that, though, I don''t think there''s too many clubs where you''d get anything like this level of information from those running the club.[/quote]
yep, a very open piece
I don''t think there is too much of a surprise in anything SW said but it''s good to have it confirmed
as far as I am concerned we are heading in the right direction and we can look forward to a promising season ahead (and beyond)

On the basis of location, lifestyle and county characteristics then Carlisle United are special, God forgive me, Ipswich Town are special, Yeovil Town are special. In fact on your basis most clubs are special. That makes a mockery of the term special.[/quote]
You''re having a laugh now, Crafty.  Carlisle?  Carlisle and the surrounding area are nothing like Norfolk.  Even the edge of the Lake District is over 30 miles away  and Carlisle, as a City, sadly cannot match Norwich in any way whatsoever.
And Ipswich????  Have you been there?????  Parts of Suffolk are nice of course, but the club........
Yeovil?  A tiny club compared to ours and a fanbase that can''t muster anywhere near 10,000 except for exceptional occasions. Nice club, nice area, but not a patch on Norwich.  
All subjective of course, there are some special places all round the country, but combining football and the area, none - imo - can match Norwich.

Yes we are one of the best clubs in England but can we improve that by having the best possible football team,time will tell.

Your most important criteria were location, county characteristic and lifestyle. Is Norfolk so much better than Suffolk, Somerset, Cumbria etc. Each have much to commend them. Are the lifestyles in those and other counties so inferior to Norfolk? You didn''t include the size of attendance in your criteria. Had yo done so we''d look very unspecial compared to the Machester, Liverpool, North London clubs etc.

Of course to us City are special but the so is every club to its own fan base.

[quote user="Crafty Canary"]Your most important criteria were location, county characteristic and lifestyle. Is Norfolk so much better than Suffolk, Somerset, Cumbria etc. Each have much to commend them. Are the lifestyles in those and other counties so inferior to Norfolk? You didn''t include the size of attendance in your criteria. Had yo done so we''d look very unspecial compared to the Machester, Liverpool, North London clubs etc.

Of course to us City are special but the so is every club to its own fan base.[/quote]
No, if I didn''t make myself clear, my criteria were the club, the location, county characteristic and lifestyle - so that includes fanbase, size, community spirit and everything else. It was not just the area - it is the club within that area. I kind of assumed people would realise that.

What is lacking from me is we have worked hard over the summer and have a competitive squad that will challenge at the right end of the table

I think this interview is all about the 12 finish place and the improvement on last season

You really couldn''t make this stuff up

[quote user="Jim Bell"]

You really couldn''t make this stuff up[/quote]
You seem quite able to
A latter day Jeffrey Archer so it would seem

Surely the whole ''special'' thing is down to who sees anything as special, not what the criteria are for being so. Ipswich are just as special to the people who misguidedly support that team. I don''t mind. The Mighty Yellows are special to me because I remember buying my first rosette and rattle v Cardiff the year we first got promoted to the top tier. The night the fog came down against Chelsea in the semi final of the League Cup. The pain of two lost League Cup finals. The greater pain of two lost FA Cup Semi Finals. Barren Munich. The punch up on the pitch versus Arsenal. Steve Grapes. Michael Theoklitas. Special isn''t better. It''s just different. And I love our love all of it.

I agree, a temporary Sporting Director saying we''re special is a bit blaaaah, but just because we don''t believe him doesn''t mean we should not wallow in and celebrate our weird kind of uniqueness.

And our colours will always make us special.

COYY

Not sure we''ve learnt an aweful lot from this that we didn''t already know to be fair. I would like to know what targets have been set Farke in terms of promotion. If the goal is just to leave NCFC in a better place than when SW/DF started, then it''s underwhelming to say the least.

I would expect them not to tie themselves down to specific targets

but I would think it safe to assume they and the club will be bursting a gut to get back into the PL
something I don''t see too many clubs who have lost parachute payments doing

the club is in a better place due to the fee''s we got from Maddison and Murphy without that we would be really stuffed !

Webber has bought some good players cheaply and got rid of some of the deadwood etc

But the football has suffered as last season showed now is the time he has to get the football right

Has he done any better than a good CEO and A good Manager would have ?

Farke’s Heralds Angels - I’m thinking that you don’t have permission to use the Death Head logo in this way.

Please change your avatar

[quote user="lake district canary"]

We are not a special club just a football club hoping to improve just like every other.[/quote]
Therein lies your problem. We are a special club, no other like it. Name a hundred clubs and I could tell you why Norwich is special as compared to them.  The most important element is where the city of Norwich is situated and the lifestyle and character of the county - very few clubs can match that - none in fact that I can think of. 
[/quote]

Hmmm... Sorry but that is nonsense in my opinion. Other fans would laugh at your suggestion and find it arrogant in the extreme. Certainly on the pitch we are like lots of clubs.

And before you ask... Middlesbrough, Charlton, Porstmouth, Blackburn and Bristol City who won community awards this year.

Webber has yet to prove he is anything more than an arrogant loud mouth and he will be judged by his three transfer window quote.

[quote user="norfolkngood"]the club is in a better place due to the fee''s we got from Maddison and Murphy without that we would be really stuffed !

Webber has bought some good players cheaply and got rid of some of the deadwood etc

But the football has suffered as last season showed now is the time he has to get the football right

Has he done any better than a good CEO and A good Manager would have ?[/quote]

Due to our business model, yes we are financially better off having sold our key assets but on the pitch we have failed miserably (can not remember watching such dull uninspiring rubbish as last year) and it remains to be seen if this bunch of players will provide better entertainment. Colin proved at Cardiff what can be done with limited resources as did Harris at Millwall on a tiny budget. Farke and Webber need to deliver far better this year.

[quote user="Mike "]Webber has yet to prove he is anything more than an arrogant loud mouth and he will be judged by his three transfer window quote.[/quote]

I totally agree with this. And not a very charismatic or intelligent loud mouth either. I hope he’s able to back up the swagger.

If he quietly went about his job then fair enough but his Bolton quote about following another team (this from a Leeds fan) plus his ease at slagging off players that leave (Howson) shows he his a bit thick , as it doesn''t endear himself to the paying punters... Jury well and truly out.

Mike - "And before you ask... Middlesbrough, Charlton, Porstmouth, Blackburn and Bristol City who won community awards this year."

It''s about everything combined. Would you want to live in Blackburn or Middsbro or any of those places? I certainly wouldn''t.