Sign in to follow this  
kick it off

Dean Ashton needs to shut the hell up

Twice in a week he''s been spouting ill-informed shyte to the media.
Firstly it was that we should be in for Vydra when the move to Leeds collapsed, and now today he is at it again, suggesting he is worried for us because we haven''t replaced Maddison''s creativity and "Wes Hoolahan isn''t going to play every game" (which I''m sure is absolutely shocking news to all at the club).
If you don''t know what you''re talking about, then just shut up. Simple.

[quote user="Time to go Delia"]Well said Dean , woefully weak squad that will do nothing this season .[/quote]

Really!? We''ve got a stronger squad than last year! If your not gonna get behind the team and support then pi$$ off down to portman road we don''t need fans like you!

Not replacing Maddisons creativity is a very legitimate concern.

It felt like in a large number of games last season, we were only going to get anything if Maddison stepped up with some magic. Going back a few months further and we also had Pritchard who was very capable of conjuring something up. We''ve got neither now.

Obviously it''s very difficult to replace them, but I have reservations about the creativity of the current squad. Hopefully there is someone who can step up.

Nothing to see here. Other than the Hoolahan comment I can’t see anything wrong in that

Not really sure what’s wrong with him suggesting that we should be in for Vydra?

[quote user="Clint"]Not really sure what’s wrong with him suggesting that we should be in for Vydra?[/quote]
Apart from betraying a complete lack of knowledge of our financial position and how the club needs to be run.

Given that both Webber and Farke have reiterated several times about having a more balanced squad this season I''m fully expecting us to NOT replace Maddison directly. We already have a number of creative players in our squad with Leitner and Vrancic plus the newbies,

We have replaced Murphy with Buendía, Watkins with Pukki, Wildschut with Marshall, Reed with Passlack/Mclean, Oliviera with Rhodes.

Krul for Gunn which is possibly experience over promising ability.

So on the face of it, no, we haven''t truly replaced Maddison or Wes for that fact but I certainly think we do indeed have a much more balanced squad on the face of it.

How the club needs to be run is a board decision and can be challenged 100% if you happen to think there is a better way / better people out there. Buying a proven striker is a must to getting promotion as you need to score goals. Happy with Rhodes as he could be one of those again... Ashton is perfectly entitled to his views. Luckly this is not North Korea.

As AJ says, I think the whole point is that we relied far too heavily on Madders last season, and as such we shouldn''t be thinking about replacing him directly but getting the balance right so that the team steps-up. Anyone with insight would know we appear to be far more balanced going into this season.

We haven''t seen any of our new signings play a competitive game yet so we can''t judge anyone or compare them like for like.

It is indisputable that we will miss Maddison. And it would be nigh on impossible to find another like him within the close season. These players are rare.

If we have set out our stall to play a measured passing game then I doubt anyone will argue. But I think we mostly agree that it has to be done with a greater intent.

We must hope that the new players are better than who they replaced and we may not know for a few games.

I was already worried yesterday when DF kind of alluded to Rhodes not playing but just travelling.

Last season, too many times we kept delaying players debuts or returns from injury in my opinion. We have a large squad and cover. So if we have injuries or suspensions, I am assuming replacements will dovetail in.

Sorry if not clear - my point wasn''t that we have/haven''t replaced Madders adequately (unknown at this point) or that Ashton is wrong in having the opinion we may struggle (we might).
The point was that if you are so clueless about the club that you think we could afford to spunk 11mill on Vydra and pay higher wages than Leeds were offering, and you haven''t even realised Hoolahan has left the club (and given the send off he got, it was hardly a secret), then you''re probably not well informed enough to be running to the press every 5 minutes to give an opinion on how we will fare this season. If he doesn''t even realise Hoolahan has gone, then how on Earth do we expect him to even know who we have signed to replace Madders, let alone know anything about Pukki, Buendia etc.
I''ve no issue with Ashton having an opinion, but if he wants to voice it publically, he probably shouldn''t say such stupid and misinformed rubbish about Hoolahan and Vydra, as it loses all credibility.

[quote user="keelansgrandad"] ......... I was already worried yesterday when DF kind of alluded to Rhodes not playing but just travelling.

Last season, too many times we kept delaying players debuts or returns from injury in my opinion. We have a large squad and cover. So if we have injuries or suspensions, I am assuming replacements will dovetail in.[/quote] So why were you worried at Farke''s suggestion yesterday that Rhodes might not feature much today? You think people should be brought back more quickly, hence risking further, very possibly more serious, injury, because you assume "replacements will dovetail in", then get worried about Rhodes being kept on the sidelines today?? 

So why were you worried at Farke''s suggestion yesterday that Rhodes might not feature much today? You think people should be brought back more quickly, hence risking further, very possibly more serious, injury, because you assume "replacements will dovetail in", then get worried about Rhodes being kept on the sidelines today??

Because I believed too many times last season, players were injured and we were told so many times that they were ready but wouldn''t be risked.

I think it is down to the player to know if he is ready and I think we need to play our best eleven as often as we can.

It is called risk, and personally I would risk Rhodes knowing that we do have cover should he get injured gain. But he may not get injured and we would have missed an opportunity.

[quote user="Mike "]How the club needs to be run is a board decision and can be challenged 100% if you happen to think there is a better way / better people out there. Buying a proven striker is a must to getting promotion as you need to score goals. Happy with Rhodes as he could be one of those again... Ashton is perfectly entitled to his views. Luckly this is not North Korea.[/quote]
As kio has said, Ashton''s views might be worthwhile if he had a clue about the club in general and how its finances dictate how it is run and whom it can afford to buy and whom it cannot. Since, and not just because he hasn''t even realised Hoolahan has left, he plainly doesn''t have the slightest inkling of anything at all, and specifically why we couldn''t possibly afford Vydra, his views deserve the rubbishing they''ve received.

[quote user="First Wazzock"]We need another Mal Lucas...[/quote]
Ashton probably thinks the original is still playing for us...

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]
[quote user="Mike "]How the club needs to be run is a board decision and can be challenged 100% if you happen to think there is a better way / better people out there. Buying a proven striker is a must to getting promotion as you need to score goals. Happy with Rhodes as he could be one of those again... Ashton is perfectly entitled to his views. Luckly this is not North Korea.[/quote]
As kio has said, Ashton''s views might be worthwhile if he had a clue about the club in general and how its finances dictate how it is run and whom it can afford to buy and whom it cannot. Since, and not just because he hasn''t even realised Hoolahan has left, he plainly doesn''t have the slightest inkling of anything at all, and specifically why we couldn''t possibly afford Vydra, his views deserve the rubbishing they''ve received.
[/quote]

Pundits make mistakes just as you and I do... He is entitled to his views as as an ex professional people want to hear them..nothing more nothing less

the only way we are going to find out if this squad gels and plays better is by results

The Team is Farke''s now so not playing with other Managers players either Farke / Webber signings or players they want to keep so no Excuses

Ashton is paid to give his views on football, not club finances. It’s not his place to say whether clubs can or cannot afford players and he certainly does not know.

Nor does anywhere on here really, you just think we do. We’ve signed many players historically who we ‘couldn’t afford’, we had several in the team today.

How upset would you all be if he said ‘Vydra’s a great player and would be a good fit but Norwich can’t afford him!’

Did I imagine it or did I read that Vydra wants 40k a week. Where does that come from in the championship is rediculous.

Wasn’t at Brum today but sounded like JR had a good game despite not scoring and apparently he took a pay cut to come here.

Know who I would want but if 40k a week guaranteed promotion guess that isn’t bad value.

[quote user="Clint"] How upset would you all be if he said ‘Vydra’s a great player and would be a good fit but Norwich can’t afford him!’[/quote]
Not very, I''d have felt that was a fair comment, because it''s accurate. Say what you like, but we aren''t spending 11million on any player this week, I''d put my house on it.
He''s paid to give his views on football, yet can''t be bothered to check who is in the squad? If he wants to comment on Norwich, he''s welcome to, but to do it with such obvious lack of any idea is embarassing. 

[quote user="Clint"]Ashton is paid to give his views on football, not club finances. It’s not his place to say whether clubs can or cannot afford players and he certainly does not know.

Nor does anywhere on here really, you just think we do. We’ve signed many players historically who we ‘couldn’t afford’, we had several in the team today.

How upset would you all be if he said ‘Vydra’s a great player and would be a good fit but Norwich can’t afford him!’[/quote]
Of course it is because the two are intimately connected. You would have to be extremely dense not to understand that finance is the usually the  key determinat in pretty much everything to do with football, and certainly with transfers. Why, for example, does Ashton think he ended up being sold by Crewe Alexandria to Norwich City and then by Norwich City to West Ham Unted if money was not relevant?
If he had said  we couldn''t possibly afford Vydra because we are having to cut our wage bill then no-one would be complaining about how stupid his comment was that we should have gone for that player. I liked Ashton as a player but that doesn''t mean he has bothered to take the time and trouble to become an informed pundit.

Of course it is because the two are intimately connected. You would have to be extremely dense not to understand that finance is the usually the key determinat in pretty much everything to do with football, and certainly with transfers.

I suggest you share this revelation with the owners of the club....