Sign in to follow this  
Saint Canary

Taxi for number 27

Bye Bye Doc, your career at Norwich City is over.  It appears that there is nothing you can do to get a first team place.  You can lose all the weight in the world, play well in preseason but after just one game in the Championship you are no longer needed.  Norwich City have decided we need a new defender which puts you even further down in the pecking order.

I really would have liked to have seen the Doc given 5 games with Shackell before we gave up on him.  His physical presence could have been useful in this league against the type seige warfare style tactics that are employed but it will not happen.  I have nothing against Ian Pearce but I would have liked to have seen the Doc with Shackell first because of the possibility of them being able to form a partnership that could last 5 or 6 years.  Surely it was worth trying?  Maybe not.

Not giving the Doc a chance this year seems a real waste and not just for the potential Shackell partnership.  We must have paid £500k+ for him and he is probably on of our highest earners as he was on Premiership wages when we signed him.  We are simply not (and haven''t been) getting enough for our money. I say give him a chance to earn his wages!

[quote]Bye Bye Doc, your career at Norwich City is over. It appears that there is nothing you can do to get a first team place. You can lose all the weight in the world, play well in preseason but after ju...[/quote]

Have you never seen Doherty play before...

I can''t believe the man is a proffesional footballer

[quote]Bye Bye Doc, your career at Norwich City is over. It appears that there is nothing you can do to get a first team place. You can lose all the weight in the world, play well in preseason but after ju...[/quote]

You may have seen my earlier post saying the same thing. Doherty has proven that he can find form if given a run in the team - he did it last season and was then dropped like a stone after his best game.

I''m not saying he''s the rock we''re looking for but he can do no worse than Fleming and he deserves a chance to strike a partnership with Shackell.

After all, this is a step down in quality for him so he may suprise us all if given the chance, but Worthy can''t seem to see past Fleming, who has played in every game and is the only constant in our poor defence this season.

i cant believe people are writing off the doc when he has hardly played a game in his preferred position, poor guy must feel he has to play his socks off every game other wise he is going to be dropped like a stone afterwards, not the greatest way to get the best out of a player

why did worthy spend so much money on a player he is not willing to give a decent run to, if any body needs any convincing on his potential he has played a vital part in one of the hardest to beat international sides in football the irish, surly if he was that bad he would not be getting any where near a side as good as this?

I have seen Doc play and when he is at the back is has ALWAYS played better than his partner, including in the Coventry game at the start of this season. 

He is never going to be the most skillful player or look elegant on the ball, but doc has all the attributes to do well in this league if only he was given a reasonable crack of the whip.

Doc looked OK at the right of defence against leeds and won all his headers when that has been a problem for us. He should be able to partner shacks there too but worthy simply wont give the partnership a try.

He is destined to be a derided player who never actually got a chance to show what he could do.

The club has far more combinations in defence beyond Fleming &... A N Other - we should try them out BEFORE we sign another player... 

OTBC

Too many people have never given the guy a chance and just read all the rubbish from the spurs message boards he was on a loser from the start , ive seen him play and i wouldn''t say he is no worse than half of our side just like all the flemming knockers who just use him as a scapegoat everytime we lose .

The guy has been useless ever since he got here. I hate to speak ill of the City players but this guy isn''t good enough for Norwich. He can''t make a clean tackle, in other words always concedes a foul whenever trying to make a tackle, he''s slow, even though he''s lost 10 stone, and he just isn''t good enough for the Championship, let alone the Premiership, which is where we are trying to get to but we can''t with him along as baggage. Waste of money, waste of wages, waste of place in pecking order. GET RID OF HIM!!

[quote]The guy has been useless ever since he got here. I hate to speak ill of the City players but this guy isn''t good enough for Norwich. He can''t make a clean tackle, in other words always concedes a foul...[/quote]

I couldn''t disagree more with everything you''ve said.

I can only think of one occasion when Doherty has been given an extended run in the team in his preferred position of centre back. In that instance, he played his way into form and was looking like a decent defender, then our injuries eased and he was dropped.

Give the guy a run and he will perform. He hasn''t been given a chance.

I have mixed feelings about Doherty.

I think he can do a job as an emergency striker. Not from the start or regularly but perhaps as a substitute/replacement when needed.

As a central defender, he makes me nervous. Perhaps this is his problem - lacking confidence. Perhaps a run in the team would help but it is a risk. I disagree with ZLF about the Coventry game. I thought he was truly awful and deserved to be dropped. He looked so clumsy and gave away too many freekicks close to our penalty area. Oddly, I thought he was much better when he came on against Leeds as the right-sided part of a back three. I thought he passed the ball well and was willing to push forward.

Sadly, I think many fans have already made up their mind about him - and Doherty is unfortunately too close to donkey to get this out of their mind. Unless of course he goes and scores one or more goals against Ipswich! Then perhaps everything could change...

[quote]The guy has been useless ever since he got here. I hate to speak ill of the City players but this guy isn''t good enough for Norwich. He can''t make a clean tackle, in other words always concedes a foul...[/quote]

Couldn''t agree more NCFC - here my comments made in a post about Doherty after he was signed just over 12 months ago.

"My mate Ken has been, & still is, a lifelong season ticket holder at Spurs

He phoned me the day after we signed Doherty just to let me know that we had bought a complete dud.

Now Ken, for all his other faults, knows his football and if he says Doherty is no good the in all honestly, he''s probably worse than that, given Ken''s tendency to be over generous in his comments"

I think my mate was right as I''ve seen nothing in the past 12 months that questions his analysis.