Sign in to follow this  
ron obvious

Team v Brum - Tettey! Yay!

Feels like a win.

Not happy with the amount of shots we allow. 70/30 possession but same amount of shots.

Excellent spirit. A bit of last year''s problems at times but we left most of our attacks until last 20.

Big shout out to Srbeny. He has one or two posters critical of him on this forum, but he was brilliant in his brief performance.

[quote user="JF"]FenwayFrank wrote the following post at 04/08/2018 4:58 PM:

They’ll be a lot of disappointed “ supporters” on here tonight

No there won’t you tool[/quote]
JF is right you know. We didn''t lose........

There’ll be a lot of supporters wondering how B’ham had 16 shots from 29% of the possession!

When we had to go more direct we scored the goals, before that it was largely poncing about outside their box.

Yes STFU ....We looked best when we were more direct. Just hope we learn from this game.

Great minds Ricardo. We faffed about far too much today. But feels like a win and must give heart

Personally I think we’re going to be in for a good season. Srbeny really impressed during his brief spell on the pitch, Marshall and McClean I think will become crowd favourites and look classy operators, McClean full of direct and dangerous running, with Hernandez proving to be another astute signing. Sure, it wasn’t all good, away from home and opening day of the season, but my overriding feeling is that we won’t be quite as pedestrian in attack as last season, and will find our feet. Bring on West Brom 👍

I think we did Nutty. He''s a big awkward lump, but he''s our big awkward lump & was very effective.

We looked sooo much better when McLean & Leitner came on. Both could be key players for us this season.

And a certain Cuban gentleman ...

First day, there has been some shocks.

I thought it was on the cards for us to lose.

Birmingham stayed up on the last day last season. Had a transfer embargo until a few days ago and their best player was out injured. Just conspiring against us.

Sometimes on the opening day, things happen.

Let''s see if we play the same way at home before judging too much too early.

Agree ricardo. Hate to say it, but I thought Hanley had too many errors today. Tim always has a Bassongesque moment or two.

I couldn''t understand how many times we had two players beaten by one of theirs - it looked like we''d won it back, only for a Brum player to emerge with the ball. Almost like we lacked basic physical strength.

Hard for me to have an opinion on the performance as I gave up on the impossible to watch stream fairly early on, But I would have taken a point before hand so can’t be disappointed with that. Slightly concerned to see our possession so high again which suggests most of it was slow passing around in our own half? If that’s the case it’s the same approach that didn’t work last season and won’t work in the Championship

Really pleased for Srbeny. Pukki won an important header just inside our half to keep the ball in play that finds Srbeny. Great run past a couple of challenges and just before the ball to Onel, Morrison, I think, the Brum right back, goes down having ran into Rhodes. Loved Onel''s reaction - just made a beeline for the unassuming Srbeny after the goal.

Well that was fun. Morning at Edgebaston then jumped over to St Andrew''s.

Very impressed by Marshall, Hernandez, Leitner and McLean. Less so by Hanley today.

Would start with the team after the first two changes by Farke.

Re defence - yes there were some mistakes, but on the other hand there were also a number of decisive excellent blocks and tackles from both Timm and Grant. Think I’ll keep my glass half full ta 👍

Marshall and MacClean, at least until he was weirdly moved to defence, stood out for me. Special mention for Srbeny too, there were a couple of moments when he looked unstoppable.

I love reading, after a comeback, some of the negative posts on here making assumptions whilst ''watching'' on the radio.

We mixed up our play all game, not just at the end. Stiepermann had to go off injured and Mclean had to fill in at LB. Srbeny came on and was very positive on the ball.

Despite Hanley having a poor game, Husband having a poor game and Stiepermann beinf ineffective we still scored two and drew away from home.

Great day. Shame some of you missed it moaning on here :)

Those saying about Hanley, he got absolutely clattered at one point in the first half. I suspect he may have played on with a knock.

I don''t think a knock explains playing square balls to players in blue tbh.

But he''s a good player who had an off day. Not a huge deal.

I think David Freezer in the EDP has got a good point.The team was determined not only by injuries but the home grown player rule.Had Lewis been fit I think Cantwell might have been replaced by Buendia and Godfrey would have been in the squad instead of Steipermann.

That doesn''t make any sense. Steipermann started so why would he have dropped out of the squad? If he''d wanted Godfrey in there he could have had him over Thompson or Cantwell without any issue.

Steipermann was the flexible back up player. Was back up left back, midfielder, striker and so on. If Lewis was playing husband would of been on the bench.

I believe Cantwell was the home grown player,which Lewis would then have been and I think Steipermann was played to help out Husband.He did fall back to LB when Husband went off but then got injured himself.