Sign in to follow this  
kick it off

Just back from the game

" Should we all pretend he isn''t so we don''t hurt his feelings?"
That would suggest your not taking part in it might be construed by him as he is not shit... as far as you are concerned
However the game often sees some of the most mild mannered folk work themselves up almost uncontrollably - verbally that is.
And a scapegoat is a good pressure release for some.

[quote user="curious yellow"]Thanks KIO , I might just write him that letter, even if I don''t think he played well, you could call it a letter of support-it could help the club. I could also tell our manager I don''t think he''s an idiot - which I don''t.

Also Leitner played really well when he came on- wasn''t that his cross for Rhodes- no impact?[/quote]
Fair shout on the cross, didn''t realise that was him.
Not sure how you think writing a "letter of support" to one of the worst players we''ve had in the last decade who likely won''t play for us again after yet another shambolic performance today, will "help the club" but if that''s what you want to do, go for it buddy. [Y]

[quote user="Ben"]

" Should we all pretend he isn''t so we don''t hurt his feelings?"
That would suggest your not taking part in it might be construed by him as he is not shit... as far as you are concerned
However the game often sees some of the most mild mannered folk work themselves up almost uncontrollably - verbally that is.
And a scapegoat is a good pressure release for some.
[/quote]
He can construe it how he likes, but if he were to take that view then he''d be sorely mistaken. I don''t think painting this as a scapegoat situation is particularly valid. People booed because he would have looked out of his depth in a U12 girls game not because they were looking for a focal point for vitriol. He offers absolutely nothing to the team. Can''t defend, can''t attack, bottles challenges left right and centre etc.
Some of the folk around me were fairly well lubricated and the booing would have been a welcome relief for him if he heard some of their comments. No idea if they''re usually mild mannered, but one guy kept punching the seat in frustration at the game, it was a bit odd tbf.

I''ve been accused of going on too much about ex-players, but to see someone go on about one of our present players who did his part in a creditable team performance is a step too far.  So Husband might not have had the best game, but he did contribute some link up play and got himself forwards when he could.  To villify him to the extent you have shows more about your state of mind than that of his performance.   Ranks up there with the worst of the rubbish spouted about Russell Martin the last few seasons - do we boo the players we don''t want to see on the pitch - has it come to that?? 
It is frankly shameful that you come on here and talk about one of our players like you have.  He did his part and the regular left back is injured - what do you expect, Roberto Carlos??    And don''t tell me its because of last season, because I read that Husband put in some good performances last season after the early difficulties - and he did ok in the match I saw at Sheef utd when he came on.
I can understand people wanting to let off steam at and after a football match, but this booing of our players is getting ridiculous.
Yay, on second thoughts lets rubbish our players, boo them when we think they are not doing the business, lets treat them like toys we can throw away when we have had enough of them, after all, that is the mentality of it. Childish - and if that is the way some people think is how to support their team and players - which it plainly is - then they are thick as two short planks and have NO idea how to SUPPORT their players.
To anyone - just f*** o** if you are going to boo our players at a match, don''t bother going, stay at home and play with your computer games where you can live in the fake fantasy world you live in.   Footballers are real people and Norwich players need supporting.

Or better still.....just watch the games on a bootleg stream at home - where one can boo, grunt, snort, fart, wheeze and belch, whilst eating pizza, guzzlin'' fat coke and chomping curly wurlies and haribo. Then flick one''s bogies at the screen to your hearts content.....Footballers aren''t real people, they''re actually Daleks and Cybermen....FACTISSIMO!.....

Was also there.

It''s not possession that is the problem it is the desire to keep it without any thought of doing anything with it. In the first half nobody seemed willing to turn, face and drive forward with the ball apart from Marshall. Because we were playing slow and often playing backwards Hernandez, Pukki and Rhodes were struggling to get in the game.

That changed once McLean and Leitner came on who were both very positive and looked to move the ball forwards when possible. Liked Marshall''s willingness to cross from a bit deeper too.

Didn''t actually think Husband was that bad but Steipermann was better.

Rhodes is interesting. Clearly much more disciplined in terms of his positioning than our other strikers but if you don''t offer much outside the box then you absolutely have to take your chances which he failed to do today.

All in all I''d start the next game with the lineup we had after the first two changes.

The man has told it as he saw it. And he believes the style of play for the majority of the game was not good enough to win it. So I cannot see how anyone can argue with it.

It seems to be a recurring theme that we pass for passing sake at times. And when we saw the starting line up, I think we all understood that was what would happen.

If that is how we will play away from home, I have no argument with it. We did appear to play better away from home last season when teams had to come at us.

I think we will have to wait and see how we set up at home, certainly what our intent will be. Personally, at home, I like to see my team put the opposition constantly under pressure and add a bit more power than just possession.

It is easy to criticise too early but you also have to say what you saw. And KIO''s report seems familiar.

I wasn''t at the game but do think people are being a bit harsh on tippy tappy football. When away from home if you can keep possession on or around the middle of the pitch then the longer that goes on for the more desperate the home team become to get the ball back as the crowd turn etc. Thus would then open up the gaps for us to play into and exploit. Unfortunately this only works if the home the are trying to get the ball back, which they don''t if they either feel no pressure from the crowd, accept that they will play on the break and have patience or already have a lead.

I don''t know which it was for the first 55 minutes, but imagine how our crowd would react if we had only had 30% possession at home!

I presume it was a hot day ? Surely it was better to have possession and to make Brum chase the ball rather than the other way round ? Yes we need to show more purpose with the ball but but for me calling it stupid tippy tappy football can’t be right.

An away draw playing with Steipermann and Husband in the team isn’t bad, and we were pretty successful with Tettey and Trybull playing together, although I have to say I was surprised Tettey was played and neither Godfrey or Thompson were on the bench.

[quote user="hogesar"]Yes, Srbeny was involved in both goals. Physically powerful and ran with the ball. Til will be gutted.[/quote]
I now make that two posts on two different threads aimed at me and to cap it all i have not even posted on here. Just let me say one swallow does not make a summer as far as Srbeny is concerned and he does not even come close to bothering my top twenty strikers i have seen in a City shirt over fifty years or so. Just my opinion of course which is something that seems to bother you.....opinions different to yours that is.

[quote user="lake district canary"]
It is frankly shameful that you come on here and talk about one of our players like you have.  He did his part and the regular left back is injured - what do you expect, Roberto Carlos??    And don''t tell me its because of last season, because I read that Husband put in some good performances last season after the early difficulties - and he did ok in the match I saw at Sheef utd when he came on.
[/quote]
You read that he put in good performances? Where? Which games? I went to several of the pre-Christmas games, and watched all the others, and I don''t recall any of these alleged decent performances. I was also at Sheff Utd away last season, and you''re right, he looked OK there. He did manage to fall over when given a chance to shoot from 6 yards which would have been a goal if he''d put his foot through it, but aside from that he was adequate. If you''re basing your opinion of him being Messi on that one solitary half hour of being adequate (note - he wasn''t especially good, he just didn''t look atrocious like he has every other game) compared to every other performance though then I think your argument is pretty wafer thin.
He did his part yesterday? Yes, he did it so badly he was subbed to be replaced by a player who has spent his entire career as an attacking midfielder. Does that sound like he was doing OK yesterday, or does it sound like he was having yet another abysmal game?
Just because he is a current player doesn''t stop him being sh*t, and I''m perfectly entitled to say the game as I saw it. Why is it shameful? I went yesterday and supported the boys for the full 90+ minutes. In my opinion it is shameful to keep making excuses for a guy who clearly isn''t up to par and wouldn''t get in many other squads in this division (or League one I''d wager).
Why do we have to pussyfoot around the subject when it was patently clear to all who saw it that Husband was woeful, yet again?

Couple points king.

The reason we didnt have the turning, facing and driving forwards was because we played two holding midfielders (which you strongly advocated and questioned if Farke would do so), its not in either of those two games really. However it is something Marshall and Pukki are capable of and hence they were the ones doing it in the first half.

As for Rhodes. He did do things out the box. He won more headers than NO or Srbeny did for us on average, held the ball up and well and made good runs to give us a long ball option. On another day he would score those and his career stats back that. Nice to see commitment and lots of running from him after some of the comments by Wednesday fans that hes a greedy lazy player. The fact hes come here for less money suggests they are wrong. As does yesterdays performance.

This is a good thread- ''I wasn''t at the game but I think you''re wrong.''

Adding Fenway giving his informed opinion without noticing Thompson was on the bench is a cherry on top.

Do agree with Fenway and CornishSam to an extent, but it''s the lack of purpose with the ball, not the possession element that was the issue. Yes it was a hot day, yes it was the opening day of the season, and keeping possession was a good idea but we looked like we''d be happy to roll it round the back 4 for hours at a time if given the chance. We didn''t show much intent for much of the game, which was a shame, because when we did show intent then we looked very capable and competent. I get that the players couldn''t do it for 90mins and were also trying to tire Birmingham out, but also it looked like we were just devoid of ideas of how to break Birmingham down. 
Certainly not a bad performance by any stretch, and lots of causes for optimism, particularly around Pukki, Rhodes, Hernandez and Srbeny. Typical early season game in many respects, but moving forward, if we can incorporate a bit more intent into our play and maintain the possession element then we''ll be competing for a top 6 spot. If we keep playing possession football with no end product, and no thrust going forwards which we did for large spells yesterday then teams will contain us and we will be getting more draws than wins and have another midtable season.

[quote user="hogesar"]As for Rhodes. He did do things out the box. He won more headers than NO or Srbeny did for us on average, held the ball up and well and made good runs to give us a long ball option. On another day he would score those and his career stats back that. Nice to see commitment and lots of running from him after some of the comments by Wednesday fans that hes a greedy lazy player. The fact hes come here for less money suggests they are wrong. As does yesterdays performance.[/quote]
I can vouch for that. Also he chased down lost causes, made life difficult for defenders and keeper, and linked up beautifully with Pukki, Hernandez, and Srbeny when he came on. I made the point in another response on this thread, one thing which was really good to see was he doesn''t just flick on goal kicks aimlessly like Jerome/Olive, he actively seeks out another city shirt, which in turn helps us retain the ball. He had a good game, and he will score goals.

[quote user="kick it off"]Do agree with Fenway and CornishSam to an extent, but it''s the lack of purpose with the ball, not the possession element that was the issue. Yes it was a hot day, yes it was the opening day of the season, and keeping possession was a good idea but we looked like we''d be happy to roll it round the back 4 for hours at a time if given the chance. We didn''t show much intent for much of the game, which was a shame, because when we did show intent then we looked very capable and competent. I get that the players couldn''t do it for 90mins and were also trying to tire Birmingham out, but also it looked like we were just devoid of ideas of how to break Birmingham down. 
Certainly not a bad performance by any stretch, and lots of causes for optimism, particularly around Pukki, Rhodes, Hernandez and Srbeny. Typical early season game in many respects, but moving forward, if we can incorporate a bit more intent into our play and maintain the possession element then we''ll be competing for a top 6 spot. If we keep playing possession football with no end product, and no thrust going forwards which we did for large spells yesterday then teams will contain us and we will be getting more draws than wins and have another midtable season.
[/quote]
It is only one game but the signing I was most worried about was Krul, given how crucial that position is, and his lack of serious action over the last couple of years.Also it sounds as if Rhodes has more of an all-round game than I had imagined, and can easily play up front by himself, albeit with support coming from midfield?

As I said in the original post PC, Krul looked very calm, confident and assured. He will grow into it with more regular football, but made a couple of decent stops from close range and didn''t have much else to do, couldn''t be blamed for either goal. The first was a rocket, and the second he was sold short by Hanley misjudging the flight of the ball. I have no concerns about Krul, he will be a solid keeper for us. Showed his experience a couple of times by chasing it down and diving to keep the ball from going out for a corner, and was very impressed when he collected the ball under pressure - the way he put his body between the player and the ball guaranteeing he''d either get the ball or get fouled. It was the mark of a seasoned pro, as lesser keepers would have caught the ball head on and risked dropping it under pressure etc. Was impressed with him.

Yeah, Rhodes can certainly play up top on his own. A lot of the Grant Holt elements to his game. He needs the midfield to support though, but his hold up play was very good and when the team starts to click a bit and they start hitting him when he''s making the clever runs, we''ll have a real striker on our hands. 

[quote user="kick it off"]As I said in the original post PC, Krul looked very calm, confident and assured. He will grow into it with more regular football, but made a couple of decent stops from close range and didn''t have much else to do, couldn''t be blamed for either goal. The first was a rocket, and the second he was sold short by Hanley misjudging the flight of the ball. I have no concerns about Krul, he will be a solid keeper for us. Showed his experience a couple of times by chasing it down and diving to keep the ball from going out for a corner, and was very impressed when he collected the ball under pressure - the way he put his body between the player and the ball guaranteeing he''d either get the ball or get fouled. It was the mark of a seasoned pro, as lesser keepers would have caught the ball head on and risked dropping it under pressure etc. Was impressed with him.

Yeah, Rhodes can certainly play up top on his own. A lot of the Grant Holt elements to his game. He needs the midfield to support though, but his hold up play was very good and when the team starts to click a bit and they start hitting him when he''s making the clever runs, we''ll have a real striker on our hands. 
[/quote]
Thanks, kio.

@hogesar

Both Tettey and Trybull are capable of carrying the ball forward when needed but the tactical set up seemed to be that they needed to both sit and screen the back 4.

Early signs suggest though that you can play McLean next to Tettey or Trybull and still have enough steel in the middle.

I don’t think playing two holding midfielders is necessarily the problem if they have a bit of creativity ahead of them which is why playing Stieperman instead of Leitner or McClean was very strange.

[quote user="kick it off"] People booed because he would have looked out of his depth in a U12 girls game.[/quote]

A slight exaggeration?

I think you''re underestimating u12 girls football STFU. No coincidence David Freezer said exactly the same in less blunt terms about husband (although he was far more glowing about Leitner than I was so maybe I was a bit harsh on moritz). If Lewis isn''t fit soon then we need another left back as husband is not fit for purpose.

Plus points -

Hernandez and Rhodes

Substitutions changed the game

Did not lose after going behind on 89 mins

McLean

Negatives

Team selection too negative

Birmingham there for the taking but Farke played safe

Hanley but will get better as fitness grows

Overall an ok result against a team that will be down the bottom again this season

[quote user="kick it off"]
Just because he is a current player doesn''t stop him being sh*t, and I''m perfectly entitled to say the game as I saw it.
[/quote]
You make some good points about the game itself, but to single Husband out for the kind of over the top treatment that you have done, is going too far.  As was the booing at the game.  I''m getting seriously fed up with whenever I get to a game it is spoiled in some way by over the top barracking of our players.  I can shout and compain with the best of them if a player messes up in some way - I notice that Hanley was excused his several c*ck ups yesterday - but Husband is being given a chance to play in the team - and he''s one of our players FFS.
If one of our players has tried his hardest and is subbed, then traditionally at Norwich he gets at least a round of applause, not a chorus of boos.  If you want the players as a whole to appreciate the fans and mean it when they come over and wave to you at the end of a match, people need to learn how to support the team - ALL the time.
You supported for 90 minutes, as did I, but inflammatory comments like yours on this thread is doing nothing to help Husband, who might be needed next week - and will no doubt have his name booed when called out and/or subbed - or whatever, because the scapegoating bandwagon will be truly up and running for this season. We''ve had this with Russell Martin and it is utterly utterly self defeating.  I do not want to see another player hounded like Martin was on social media and at matches. Your inflammatory comments are not helpful, except to those who want some kind of villain in the set up. 

I would assume our away support apart from those in the Midlands area yesterday, are the most able and keen to watch us.

If a handful of them booed Husband, so be it. What else do you expect? A chorus of "Husband is a Wnaker!"?

Ever since I can remember, certain players have received the wrath of some if not all of the crowd.

To those not doing it, it must seem awful. But to those doing it, I assume they have a reason and don''t see it as anything more than showing displeasure.

Where did I excuse Hanley? I think you''ll find I said he was very poor, right there in the opening post, and he was undoubtedly at fault for the second goal. The difference is Hanley has proven he is capable of playing to a decent standard at this level, and had a bad day, Husband has a bad day every game he plays because he isn''t good enough.
Onel Hernandez seemed to appreciate the fans yesterday, he was straight over to us when he scored, both times, and nothing but positives in his interview so he seems to appreciate the fans regardless of Husband being booed off.
Inflammatory comments like this are doing nothing to help Husband? No, but they''re hardly harming him either. If he chooses to come on to the forum after yet another poor performance then he has nobody to blame but himself if he reads it. In fact, he has nobody to blame but himself for people commenting on him being sh*t. If he played to a higher level then he wouldn''t get the comments, if he isn''t capable of that then he should never have signed a contract for several thousand pounds per week. 
To applaud Husband off yesterday would have been criminal. What sort of message would that send to the team? Play like absolute garbage and we''ll still be happy with it? Maybe it will give him the impetus to work a bit harder and improve his game. The appropriate response imo would have been a neutral silence, but thats never going to happen in a game as polarised as football.
If Husband is needed next week then we''re already in trouble.
Nobody needs a villain, but if a player is crap then there is absolutely no reason whatsoever that we can''t say they''re crap. I wouldn''t expect a pat on the back from my boss if I did an atrocious job.

If there was anything I''d like to boo at it was in the first half - Tetty to Trybull to Klose to Hanley to Krul to Tetty and start all over again !

[quote user="kick it off"]Where did I excuse Hanley? I think you''ll find I said he was very poor, right there in the opening post, and he was undoubtedly at fault for the second goal. The difference is Hanley has proven he is capable of playing to a decent standard at this level, and had a bad day, Husband has a bad day every game he plays because he isn''t good enough.
Onel Hernandez seemed to appreciate the fans yesterday, he was straight over to us when he scored, both times, and nothing but positives in his interview so he seems to appreciate the fans regardless of Husband being booed off.
Inflammatory comments like this are doing nothing to help Husband? No, but they''re hardly harming him either. If he chooses to come on to the forum after yet another poor performance then he has nobody to blame but himself if he reads it. In fact, he has nobody to blame but himself for people commenting on him being sh*t. If he played to a higher level then he wouldn''t get the comments, if he isn''t capable of that then he should never have signed a contract for several thousand pounds per week. 
To applaud Husband off yesterday would have been criminal. What sort of message would that send to the team? Play like absolute garbage and we''ll still be happy with it? Maybe it will give him the impetus to work a bit harder and improve his game. The appropriate response imo would have been a neutral silence, but thats never going to happen in a game as polarised as football.
If Husband is needed next week then we''re already in trouble.
Nobody needs a villain, but if a player is crap then there is absolutely no reason whatsoever that we can''t say they''re crap. I wouldn''t expect a pat on the back from my boss if I did an atrocious job.
[/quote]
A player knows when he has not performed at his best - he doesn''t need to be told - and he doesn''t need to be booed off the field in the first gme of the season and he doesn''t need someone to write over the top rubbish about him, as in -
"James Husband is not a footballer. He just isn''t. There is not one ounce

of footballing intelligence in that guy''s brain, and even less talent.

Useless. He was useless every game last season and he''s determined to

prove he really is that shyte.
"
As has been said elswehere by others, not just me, he was not rubbish all last season so this is just inflammatory, bordering on bullying - as in "let''s get on the back of the weakest link and give him as much sh*t as we can".   Learn how to support I say, give the guy a break and hope that if picked next week he has a bit more confidence and plays better.  Looks like he''ll have to do it against a backdrop of negativity - Aaron Wilbraham got the treatment too when he was here and he answered the critics on the pitch with good displays - hope JH has the character to play through it and win people over.

Get a grip LDC. Bullying somebody without ever speaking to them 😂😂😂 . He was gash all of last season. Teams specifically set out to target him because he was that obviously poor.

The problem is it''s not over the top rubbish. He won''t play better because he''s rubbish as he has demonstrated time and time again. If you want to hope he miraculously turns into a footballer then that''s your lookout. I prefer to work on the evidence in front of me. I''d be delighted if he sorted it out and stopped being crap but until then I will have no problem with saying he''s shit when he is shit.