Sign in to follow this  
kick it off

Waghorn going on the cheap.... shame

Absent from their squad today and Hurst said they''re letting him go on the cheap. Sure he''ll get all the money to spend though and Evans won''t line his grubby little pockets with the proceeds of the sale....
!Waghorn''s future has been uncertain for a number of weeks but Hurst now accepts Town''s star man from last season will leave, and wants the deal confirmed as soon as possible so he can press on with signing replacements.

“That looks like it’s edging more to a conclusion,” Hurst told the East Anglian Daily Times.

“Let’s not kid ourselves, we all know what that conclusion will be. As a result, I didn’t think it was fair on the player, or fair on my group of players, or us as a football club, for us to involve him.

Asked which club Waghorn looks set to sign for, Hurst added: “I don’t think that’s my place to say in all honesty. You’ll find out soon enough."

Ipswich are understood to value Waghorn at around the £8m mark and rejected offers of £5m earlier in the summer.

After being asked whether Town will get the fee they were holding out for, the local newspaper reports that Hurst puffed out his cheeks as he considered his response, then said: “Erm... look I think we have to make a decision that we think is right.

“Whether or not it is quite the valuation we really feel...Ultimately, as I’ve said from the start, we’ve got to make decisions that are best for this football club. Not everyone is going to agree with them - I understand that - but people are not in my shoes or the owner’s shoes and understand all the intricacies around people’s situations."

That''s interesting re: Waghorn - I saw the EADT a couple of days ago and he seemed much more bullish saying stuff about ''not blinking first'' and getting the very best deal.

Seems that''s changed pretty quickly, which is obviously a big shame!

[quote user="kick it off"]Not to mention their "best in the division" keeper who agreed a contract then refused to sign it as he was hoping for a better offer made a peach of a howler for their first today[/quote]
A case of ''flapper'' Marshall.
Watch Blackburn''s second. Hapless defending with their No 4 ball watching as were all the defenders, completely unaware of where the two Blackburn players were.
As to selling on the cheap, a player is only worth what another club will pay for him. Unfortunately the dimwitted farmhands had been looking up the A140 too much and have worked themselves into a lather of stupidity and were talking of £10m-£12m.
Lets hope they are not in the position where they have to clear their higher waged players off the books and replace them with lower league players.
What would King Binno say about that.

[quote user="Ben"]

[quote user="kick it off"]Not to mention their "best in the division" keeper who agreed a contract then refused to sign it as he was hoping for a better offer made a peach of a howler for their first today[/quote]
A case of ''flapper'' Marshall.
Watch Blackburn''s second. Hapless defending with their No 4 ball watching as were all the defenders, completely unaware of where the two Blackburn players were.
As to selling on the cheap, a player is only worth what another club will pay for him. Unfortunately the dimwitted farmhands had been looking up the A140 too much and have worked themselves into a lather of stupidity and were talking of £10m-£12m.
Lets hope they are not in the position where they have to clear their higher waged players off the books and replace them with lower league players.
What would King Binno say about that.
[/quote]

I’m still waiting for you to spend the 30m you’ve received in transfer fee’s this summer? Where has it all gone?!

We''ve spent a bit of money and plugged the gap in finances as we are self sufficient club, King Binno. We''re not bankrolled as a tax dodge facility by an arms dealing ticket tout to embarrassed to show his face publicly.

I think this is the season you end your LOOOOOONNNNNNNGGGGGGGG stint in the championship.... at least your bargain bin squad will feel at home in league 1 though.

As long as we beat you in September, which should be a mere formality, then it''s a full DECADE since you''ve beaten us. Let that sink in.

And with the 30mill in fees being mentioned, didnt you tell us waghorn was worth more than them all put together and now hes gojng for less than half a josh murphy?

[quote user="King Keano"]I’m still waiting for you to spend the 30m you’ve received in transfer fee’s this summer? Where has it all gone?![/quote]
The sensible answer is that assuming Cardiff and Leicester paid £10m +addons for Murphy and £22m+addons for Maddison, each player is going to get a 10% cut of that as a "loyalty payment" for not asking for a transfer. The headline figures would have to factor in a hefty agent payment as well. Then Coventry have a sell on clause, rumoured to be around 10-15%. All the transfer fees won''t be paid upfront, but over a longer period of time.
In terms of players coming in, Buendia was paid for from the Pritchard money, and the Rhodes deal was rumoured to be helped by the Gunn sale sell on clause. So the Murphy/Maddison money was spent on Leitner, Marshall, sign on fees for Pukki, Krul, and a loan fee for Passlack.
Also without parachute payments, there''s a shortfall in the wage bill, with Naismith, Jarvis, McGovern, Martin, Klose and Pinto in their final year of contracts (and Oliviera having two years left), so money needs to be set aside to balance that out.
Also at the last AGM it was forecasted that whilst we were debt free, the cashflow position would be -£7million now, so we''d want some cash in the bank as well, to avoid overdraft charges.

Loyalty payments for not asking to leave, surely that’s a made up thing?!

A player leaves the club, moves for more wages and we have to pay them £1m and £2m respectively to allow them to leave because we wanted to sell and they presumably didn’t want to go........really?!

"   “Sometimes it’s because of the structure of the contract being such

that a lump sum is paid to players, providing they’re not asking to

leave the club,” he explains. “That’s why so many players often leave it

as a very last resort, in order to avoid losing that amount of money.”

So, despite the claims of loyalty to the club, respect for the fans,

and forthrightness with the manager, it could be said that the biggest

cause of modern footballers’ shyness for transfer requests is the

lucrative contractual bonuses they forego by submitting one. In short, a

loyalty bonus tends to be spread incrementally over a player’s contract

– i.e. 20 per cent each year on a five-year deal.

The same goes for a signing-on fee, but if a player does not directly

ask to leave the club, they’re usually still in line for the rest, or

at least a fair portion of the sign-on fee, which let’s just say tends

to be a tad more profitable than Jobseeker’s Allowance.

But, on the rare occasions where transfer requests have been

administered in recent years, they’ve seemingly been used as a ploy by

player and agent to snare a bumper new contract, such as with Wayne

Rooney in 2010 and Christian Benteke in 2013. And although in the case

of those players such high-stake posturing appeared to pay off, Silkman

is adamant a top player needn’t bother being quite so indirect."

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/there-any-point-handing-a-transfer-request-fourfourtwo-investigates

"Loyalty payments for not asking to leave, surely that’s a made up thing?!"

Very much a real thing.

Players have bonuses in their contracts based on seeing them out- if we accept a bid when they haven''t formally asked to leave then legally it us who is stopped the player from making those bonuses so we have to pay them.