Sign in to follow this  
Saint Canary

The Big Question

If as expected we sign Ian Pearce on loan he is without a doubt being promised first team football.  The big question is at who''s expense will he be in the team? 

Personally I can''t see how Worthy can drop Flem so I expect to be seeing a Pearce/Flem partnership.  If Pearce was or could become a permanent or long-term signing it might be different but for this moment I expect Shackell to be dropped and the he and the fans will be a bit unhappy about it.

Put quite simply, Worthy cannot drop Flem for a short-term loanee.  How can you drop Flem (and at the same time remove the captaincy) and then put him back in the team two months later when Pearce goes back to Fulham.  The only way Flem can be dropped is if he has no future here.

On performances tihis season I would drop Fleming.  Stoke aside Shackell et all have been in good form.   I think we need someone else alongside Shackell in the heart of defence.  Fleming has not been any good for some time now and I think it is time we perhaps dropped him (to make him realise he is not indispensible). 

You cannot drop Jason Shackell who for me has every chance of becoming as talismanic as John Terry.  If the guy clears the ball he puts his foot through it.  If he heads the ball he sticks his head through it.  If a player is in on goal Jason has the speed and presence of mind to get goalside and stop the attack. 

Craig Fleming (however long he has served the club) was caught painfully short in the Premiership and proved he is not up to the standard Norwich City fans are looking for in 2005 onward. Both Fleming and Simon Charlton look painfully out of position in any defensive situation.  Both always seem to be on the wrong side of the attacker and neither can muster a clearance of any power or purpose.  This grants the opposition more possession in and around the defensive third and allows the opposition to get more shots in. 

So the answer to the question is "Drop Fleming and bring in someone who can actually defend"

Make Youseff Safri the captain and your problem is solved. 

STev