Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

Balls in Trumpland

[quote user="Rock The Boat"]There was a seminal moment in Episode One where I thought that our Ed was going to come back from the dark side.

He was just coming to a set of traffic lights having just visited the Vets ca,p. Veterans who, Ed Balls asked, should dislike Trump because he was against the foreign invasions in which the military served. Nope, came back the reply. The President is a straight-talking guy and we appreciate that.

Earlier, our Ed was amazed to meet a Mexican illegal immigrant of some thirty years standing who voted for Trump. Presumably somewhere along the line this lady must have received an amnesty but for her Trump was a guy that got things done.

The programme was shattering all the beliefs that Balls had presumed about Trump and America. At the Rednecks with Paychecks festival he asked what they had in common with a super-rich, city slicker. Trump, said the Good Ole Boys, believed in hard work and family.

As Ed Balls slowed down at the traffic lights, I thought he was going to pull off the road and burst into tears. All those foolishly-held beliefs destroyed by the evidence straight from the mouths of home-town America.

But Ed didn''t get to be a senior Labour politician for nothing. No Siree! He blinked back the tears and up popped his thoughts in the form of a voice over. ''My worry is that Trump''s rhetoric is making ALL migrants feel illegal''

Ah the joy of cognitive dissonance. Despite all the interviews I''ve done, despite all those folks telling me how they think Trump is doing a good job, I''m going to make up a new strawman argument, without having any proof whatsoever, because just like those Good ole Texas Rednecks I gotta think about paychecks, too!

Can''t wait for Episode 2.[/quote]
It is not cognitive dissonance and it isn''t a strawman argument. I am very happy for this one illegal immigrant (who may have had an amnesty somewhere along the line, almost certainly, I would wager, before child-separating-from-their-parents Trump became president), but there are serious surveys and reports backing up exactly what Balls (who is not so stupid he didn''t realise the president has many supporters) says - that even legal immigrants are now afraid for their future.
As a report from March 2018 had it:Two new studies offer evidence for a disturbing reality: The fear is

real - but it isn’t limited to unauthorized immigrants. It’s affecting

other immigrants who have reason to feel their immigration status isn’t

secure. And it’s trickling down to US citizen children

of immigrants, and even their children’s classmates. It’s shaping their

behaviors and weighing down their inner lives.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]
[quote user="Rock The Boat"]There was a seminal moment in Episode One where I thought that our Ed was going to come back from the dark side.

He was just coming to a set of traffic lights having just visited the Vets ca,p. Veterans who, Ed Balls asked, should dislike Trump because he was against the foreign invasions in which the military served. Nope, came back the reply. The President is a straight-talking guy and we appreciate that.

Earlier, our Ed was amazed to meet a Mexican illegal immigrant of some thirty years standing who voted for Trump. Presumably somewhere along the line this lady must have received an amnesty but for her Trump was a guy that got things done.

The programme was shattering all the beliefs that Balls had presumed about Trump and America. At the Rednecks with Paychecks festival he asked what they had in common with a super-rich, city slicker. Trump, said the Good Ole Boys, believed in hard work and family.

As Ed Balls slowed down at the traffic lights, I thought he was going to pull off the road and burst into tears. All those foolishly-held beliefs destroyed by the evidence straight from the mouths of home-town America.

But Ed didn''t get to be a senior Labour politician for nothing. No Siree! He blinked back the tears and up popped his thoughts in the form of a voice over. ''My worry is that Trump''s rhetoric is making ALL migrants feel illegal''

Ah the joy of cognitive dissonance. Despite all the interviews I''ve done, despite all those folks telling me how they think Trump is doing a good job, I''m going to make up a new strawman argument, without having any proof whatsoever, because just like those Good ole Texas Rednecks I gotta think about paychecks, too!

It is not cognitive dissonance and it isn''t a strawman argument. I am very happy for this one illegal immigrant (who may have had an amnesty somewhere along the line, almost certainly, I would wager, before child-separating-from-their-parents Trump became president), but there are serious surveys and reports backing up exactly what Balls (who is not so stupid he didn''t realise the president has many supporters) says - that even legal immigrants are now afraid for their future.
As a report from March 2018 had it:Two new studies offer evidence for a disturbing reality: The fear is

[/quote]
And now this today:The Trump administration is expected to issue a proposal in coming weeks that would make it harder for legal immigrants to become citizens or get green cards if they have ever used a range of popular public welfare programs, including Obamacare, four sources with knowledge of the plan told NBC News.
Seems Ed did know what he was musing about.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[/quote]
And now this today:The Trump administration is expected to issue a proposal in coming weeks that would make it harder for legal immigrants to become citizens or get green cards if they have ever used a range of popular public welfare programs, including Obamacare, four sources with knowledge of the plan told NBC News.
[/quote]
Children of illegal immigrants were always separated at the border long before Trump became President, but it never behove you to talk about child-separating-from-their-parents Obama. We all know why that is.
You also never mention tht the kids are separated so that their stories can be checked out as it needs to be ascertained that the adults accompanying the children really are family members and not people traffickers. If these checks are not made then children end up either being sold to or kidnapped by people-traffickers to enable illegal aliens to cross the border. But you would rather risk child abuse in order to score political points.
Secondly, it would seem that Project Fear is alive and kicking in liberal MSM USA, just as it is in the UK. Well, an unnamed souce says whatever it likes doesn''t it. Probably a story that originated from the interns on the newsdesk at NBC News.
And what''s the problem with tightening up the immigration laws? Every country has them and every country is entitled to have whatever immigration laws they see fit, except the UK of course, as we have sold that right to the EU.

[quote user="Rock The Boat"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[/quote]
[/quote]
Children of illegal immigrants were always separated at the border long before Trump became President, but it never behove you to talk about child-separating-from-their-parents Obama. We all know why that is.
You also never mention tht the kids are separated so that their stories can be checked out as it needs to be ascertained that the adults accompanying the children really are family members and not people traffickers. If these checks are not made then children end up either being sold to or kidnapped by people-traffickers to enable illegal aliens to cross the border. But you would rather risk child abuse in order to score political points.
Secondly, it would seem that Project Fear is alive and kicking in liberal MSM USA, just as it is in the UK. Well, an unnamed souce says whatever it likes doesn''t it. Probably a story that originated from the interns on the newsdesk at NBC News.
And what''s the problem with tightening up the immigration laws? Every country has them and every country is entitled to have whatever immigration laws they see fit, except the UK of course, as we have sold that right to the EU.
[/quote] You probaby should stick to the WTO, RTB. There is a chance - I have no idea - you may have a clue what you''re talking about there, and might even make sense. None of that is relevant to your failed attack on Balls, which was based on him saying this:''My worry is that Trump''s rhetoric is making ALL migrants feel illegal.''
The reports I quoted before show that Balls was quite right - that even legal immigrants fear for their future. And this latest report (by an experienced reporter  from FOUR sources, some and possibly all of which will be in this most leaky of White Houses, telling one of the world''s more reputable news organisations the same thing) is that Trump plans  to make life even harder for legal immigrants.So nothing to do with illegal imigrants or with reducing the numbers of new immigrants, as you tried to make it out to be. But just what Balls said - scr*wing with the lives of people already living legally in the US.

Whenever I see Trump, it reminds me of this guy from "The Running Man" set interestingly in 2017.  A dystopian world where a twisted leader runs things as a huge game show of distorted goodies and baddies to distract the repressed people from their lot. Spooky.

The Running Man at 30: Arnie vs. Fake News

I still think they missed a trick in not calling the series ''Balls Deep in Trumpland''.

I loved our Chairman''s virtual dismay in episode 2 that a Black Gay with a Mexican boyfriend would vote for Trump.

And that the reason he did was based solely on guns and gun laws.

I think he is doing a good job of setting these people up for us to view with our own beliefs and fears.

Although it is still none of our business who USA voters choose even though it affects us.

I''ve only watched episode one so far, watched it last night in fact, it was really good viewing.
The Mexican lady that voted for Trump, the black "red neck", probably not difficult to find but harldy typical of their peers I would suspect.
Popularism is appealing to those that have felt politically ignored in society, they have been alienated for so long it didnt take a genius to see there was a deep vein to be tapped in terms of support.
It seems to me that many of the posts on this thread, particularly from our left of centre friends, abhore the damage that Trump is causing and go on to provide an intelectual analyisis of all that is wrong with the way Trump exploits the down trodden.
What they all fail to address is why the downtrodden feel the way they do! Its because the ideology they support has ignored the very people it set out to protect. The current phenomen is something that has been created by the ideology they support so instead of turning their noses up at the nasty smell, they would be better served by applying their intelect  to an introspective look at what has gone wrong!

Or maybe why we still have ''downtrodden''. But never mind hand crank next gives us this witless guff
"because the ideology they support has ignored the very people it set out to protect."
yes it is all the fault of those nasty lefties in the metropolitan elite circles slurping lattes at cocktail parties. - and folk like me, Herman and other class traitors who have turned our backs on our industrial working brothers
which rather overlooks the fact that the majority of Brexiteers are thought to be die hard Tories
ps hand crank I hope you are not espousing the view that these brexit voters did not decide their vote on the basis of them considering the argument but were swayed simply because ''our sort'' neglected them - if so, seems rather patronising

which rather overlooks the fact that the majority of Brexiteers are thought to be die hard Tories

Yes, they are why Labour constituencies in the North voted leave in the main. There must have been an influx of die hard Tories just before the referendum.

You really haven''t got a clue about this have you? 😏

Erm........I think your biggotry has strayed off the Brexit thread Le Coq.
Its amusing to watch....but not funny, if you get my drift👍
Anyway, do explain why the working class voters of America have seen Trump as representing them, after two terms of Obama?

[quote user="Crafty Canary"]which rather overlooks the fact that the majority of Brexiteers are thought to be die hard Tories

Yes, they are why Labour constituencies in the North voted leave in the main. There must have been an influx of die hard Tories just before the referendum.

You really haven''t got a clue about this have you? 😏[/quote]
oh dear
are you sure you are not hand crank ?
try reading it again ... the bit containing the word majority might help

[quote user="TIL 1010"][/quote]
stop making a pig of yourself

Le Coq
"the bit containing the word majority might help''
When you resort to this sort of pathetic pedantry response those of us that have had the unfortunate experience of trying to engage in any meaninfull debate with you appreciate that you have already lost the arguement.
The next response will involve twisting the meaning of your words.
Still I have to say I admire your good works and keep it up, probably time better spent than abusing posters on here 👍

changing the subject slightly, I think Balls has done really well with this documentary series and will be more popular as a result. He shows his human side more than once, tearful when with people who have suffered in each episode

Now watched episode 2 Ralph. He is a decent bloke, no doubt about that, and comes accross really well. He has had to tread a fine line between challenging views and also seeking to understand their origins. Excellent series.