Sign in to follow this  
rich

kevin lisbie signed

on a month''s loan. what do we think, should do good for
a month I think, strong powerful direct, though jarvis and
mcveigh must wonder what they have to do to get a game
up front.

I''m 50/50 over this. His scoring record is far from impressive for a striker, and Charlton fans don''t rate him at all.

But he''s quick, capable and he can''t do much worse than Deano and McKenzie have been doing

Been slated on Charlton boards. Two comments that stand out:

''headless chicken''

''Prem''s least threatening forward''

Doesn''t sound good- but let us hope he comes good and proves them wrong....

....here''s hoping!

I have no opinion on Lisbie at all, it''s just such a shame than McVeigh cannot get a game.  He is such a clever little player and could be a really good partner for Deano.  If we played McVeigh just off Ashton between the opposition midfield and defence I really think he could do lots of damage.

Mmmmmm not sure about this one

He only scored one goal for Charlton last year and is injury prone....should fit in quite well at Carrow Road!

If things dont go well tomorrow presumably Worthy will make the excuse that he has to ''settle'' in the team blah blah blah

Don''t think we''ll see Lisbie from the start tomorrow due to lack of match fitness, sadly I don''t think we''ll see McVeigh either though.

[quote]I''m 50/50 over this. His scoring record is far from impressive for a striker, and Charlton fans don''t rate him at all. But he''s quick, capable and he can''t do much worse than Deano and McKenzie have ...[/quote]

Given the paucity of strikers at the club and the mid term injuries to Thorne & Leon this makes good sense.

No he does not have the greatest strike rate but most of his football has been at the top level and Charlton have renewed his contract during that time so they clearly see something in him. 

Hopefully he will be keen to please and playing in the champs may suit him greatly.  His is not a novice learning the game and so represents less of a risk than the likes of Luke Moore.  If it does not work out we will soon see the back of him, and during games the likes of Jarvis and Hendo should get some match time as subs.   It is a shame that Jarvis was not a little more match fit but there you go.

As a one month stop gap I fail to see anyone else that would have been any better - well done worthy.  The list of players I posted as possible loan signings as strikers was particularly thin on the ground beyond Lisbie. 

Will worthy play him in right midfield like many ther recent strikers?!

OTBC 

What a kick in the teeth for the likes of hendo. mcveigh & jarvis. They would probably respect worthy for bringing in a good player, but Lisbie has "16 league goals in 141 league appearances for the club", which frankly would be a poor return from a half decent attack minded midfielder. 

We shall see what this goal machine can do at championship level...

[quote]Don''t think we''ll see Lisbie from the start tomorrow due to lack of match fitness, sadly I don''t think we''ll see McVeigh either though.[/quote]

its much more likely that we''ll do somthing stupid like play Doherty up front with Ashton, instead of in defence where he should be playing with Shackell imo - can''t be worse than Fleming can he.

Give squiz a go, I say!!

Norwich needed a new player to ''spark then off!''

This player could be brilliant for the canaries! Lets hope he plays Saturday. I would have thought so, as he signed b4 noon.

Lets face it..... IF HE SCORES AND WE WIN SATURDAY, THEN WIN TUESDAY AND HE SCORES, AND THEN HE ''SCORES AGAINST THE SCUM'' HE MAY HAVE THE LOAN EXTENDED TO 3 MONTHS AND THEN EVEN SIGNED IN JANUARY?

THEN AGAIN ....

I''LL SEE WHAT HE''S LIKE TOMORROW WHEN I WATCH''EM.

THANK GOD WE GOT SOMEBODY! and prem league!

Sheeesh - he is not Wayne Rooney but just who else is available to sign as a striker on a short loan????  The time when we could chose who we could sign has gone so the options are limited.  Name me one better alternative? 

Is anyone surprised McVeigh has been overlooked - worthy has always used him as a scapegoat?  His committment against MK Dons was hardly inspiring and this from a fan who likes squiz.  While Hendo does deserve a go in his proper position he is far too lightweight for the cloggers inthis league and our habit/tactic of hoicking high balls forward as out attacking strategy.

Jarvis is better placed but has played 60 mins reserve football after being out for 6 weeks. 

As the only viable options Lisbie stands favourable comparison with these three for tomorrow game, he has played successfully despite what the addicks fans think at the top level even as a lone striker.  From starts his strike rate is one in three, the majority of his starts are as subs so what a surprise he does not score from those - the same applies to peter thorne.  

Give the bloke a chance.

OTBC

Give him a chance before slagging him off, will you? Ok, he isn''t Wayne Rooney or Micheal Owen but who did we realistically expect? It was always going to be a prem striker who can''t get in the first team, that''s the level we are at now, get used to it, get over it and get behind him, if and when he plays.

I also would have liked to see McVeigh given a chance, let''s hope Worthy thinks he can do a job.

i am a season ticket holder/barclay boy/city bot through & through/blah blah blah...but i live in Charlton and have done for 15 years...and i can safely say i can''t think of a weaker CAFC striker in that time...and that is saying something!

My mobile hasn''t stopped ringing with local CAFC "friends" laughing at this deal! i just hope i can laugh back when he returns in a month.

i try to be positive and i''ve never been a canary boo-boy, but this just reeks of "panic" from Worthy, i can''t stress how poor a signing this is. i know the CAFC have been trying to off load him for years. Personally i''d rather have any of our strikers up with Deano, with Jarvo edging it for me. A few "local" palace fans did the same when we signed Leon, as you always get a bit of that, but this is in a different league.

I''m really trying to see a positive in this deal as i know worthy hasn''t had much time and there aren''t many stikers we could have got...i''d even get Dean Coney back!!!...yes, that bad!

sarf london canary

[quote]Give him a chance before slagging him off, will you? Ok, he isn''t Wayne Rooney or Micheal Owen but who did we realistically expect? It was always going to be a prem striker who can''t get in the first ...[/quote]

Well said. everyone on here is moaning at worthys lack of signings. now he gets prem forward in.Now its seems the same moaners are saying he is no good it seems to me there are some very fickle fans on these boards.to all the whingers on here let lisbie play and judge him and worthy after his loan spell is up.I have seen lisbie play he will be a great addition well done worthy.

What is it with people. Every one at the moment is moaning about everything involved at the club. yes it was a bit dissapointing that we did not sign any one before the deadline. but worthington has now got a striker in. lets get behind Lisbie, lets get behind worthington, lets get behind the whole team. Were these moaners still moaning when we won the league,and in the prem. Support the yellows. ON THE BALL CITY.

40 league goals in 134 appearances.

Let''s give the guy a chance and see what he can do, it could be just the sort of 1st team football he needs to lift his game.

Do you think he''ll start on the bench?

Its part of the reason I dont use the board so much now.  The amount of moaning is absolutely incredible.  Moaners cos we havent signed anyone permamently, moaners cos we havent got anybody on loan and then surprise surprise bloody moaners when we do get someone cos apparently to all these football purists he aint good enough.  Moan bloody moan - it is surprising how a few weeks break from this board actually makes you feel quite cheerful.  

how predictable, moaning before he has even played. imo its a very good bit of business. I am quite sure he can score goals and he is better than any other striking options we have to partner deano

I would rather moan than delude myself that everything is fine with the club - that appears to be worthy''s approach and he is getting very close to the sack.

People have asked who we could have got in who is better than Lisbie, and maybe worthy is unable to get anyone good. However, if this is the case I would rather we showed some faith in hendo, jarvis or mcveigh and left Lisbie rotting in charlton reserves.

There is no point signing players that do not improve the squad, even for the short term. Lisbie is an extra body an no more than that.

No that I have slagged him off I fully expect him to bag a brace tomorrow. If he does I will humbly apologise. 

personally - i think this is an excellent addition to the squad. prem player - ok injury prone but he  cant prove his fitness without a chance! yeah ok his record doesnt look great, but most of his appearances have been off subs bench with 10 or less mins to go - he''s quick, he''s direct and he should be given a fair crack of the whip...wasnt huckerby the injury prone star who couldnt get into the prem 1st team before he signed for us? exactly.

[quote]I would rather moan than delude myself that everything is fine with the club - that appears to be worthy''s approach and he is getting very close to the sack. People have asked who we could have got ...[/quote]

This subject is getting boring now, first off worthington is not even close to the sack, He''s on a long term contract and would cost a large sum of money to get rid of him.

second to this, if you think hendo and jarvis is a better bet then lisbie then you need to wake up and smell the roses. both hendo and jarvis are to lightweight at the moment and personally i don''t think either are good enough for this division. Mcveigh however is different, he is very skilfull and for his size hard to knock off the ball. would like to see mcveigh involved but dosen''t look like it will happen.

Lisbie does improve the squad, considering our lack of attacking options at present.

Living near Charlton, Lisbie has been the target for the boo boys but the guy has rarely but fit or given a good run in the team. These are the same boo boys who have been calling for Curbishley to sling his hook!!!! Lisbie should feel at home at Carrow Road then ; ) Give the guy a chance, the one thing he does have is pace and he''s direct, if there''s one thing that frightens Championship defences it''s pace. A prudent loan deal if you ask me.

We are not talking about blowing our transfer kitty on an unproven striker are we? All that W has done is brought someone in for a short term one month long loan to cover the period that Hucks is suspended and Leon and Thorne are injured.

If McVeigh, Hendo or Jarvis are considered good enough they will still get their chance - Lisbie is nothing more than cover.

[quote]Don''t think we''ll see Lisbie from the start tomorrow due to lack of match fitness, sadly I don''t think we''ll see McVeigh either though.[/quote]

Hi Pete. Me and Gazza went to Colney this morning and it would surprise me if Macca didn''t start with Lisbie coming on later.

After training the strikers were held back to practice shooting. Ashton, Macca and Lisbie, so one of the latter will definitely figure. We didn''t recognise Lisbie as we didn''t realise he''d signed, he looks very muscular (more than Leon) not very tall but powerful.

They also practised defending corners and free kicks and apparently they will all be inswingers tomorrow! So would expect them to score a couple!!