Sign in to follow this  
king canary

Webber and the financial situation

Based on the reports it seems since 2018 we''ve sold £50m worth of players and spent about £10m.

I''d also imagine that those moves have made a fair dent in our wage budget.

If we have a successful season Webber will be due a huge amount of credit for working with such a shoestring budget.

With all the big earners out of contract at the end of this season too hopefully he''ll be able to at least spend what he brings in next summer.

I would think any bonus is based on a more ranging view than that - otherwise he would just be focussed on flogging off whoever he could just to fulfill that remit.
The blunt fact was we had two years of PL parachute money with many players on three year contracts signed when we were in the PL. So far those responsible for sorting this out have managed to move most of them on without leaving us having to make huge cuts elsewhere to meet those wages.
I''m sure that in years to come when more of this is revealed it might not appear to have been as smooth as it seemed.
But well done to all. We are solvent and have much to look forward to , as the most important bit is that it''s pretty much all in our hands how we progress.

Webber will be judged on how we perform this season and I hope he is as good as he thinks he is...

[quote user="Ben"]
I would think any bonus is based on a more ranging view than that - otherwise he would just be focussed on flogging off whoever he could just to fulfill that remit.
The blunt fact was we had two years of PL parachute money with many players on three year contracts signed when we were in the PL. So far those responsible for sorting this out have managed to move most of them on without leaving us having to make huge cuts elsewhere to meet those wages.
I''m sure that in years to come when more of this is revealed it might not appear to have been as smooth as it seemed.
[/quote]
But 20 or so years on we still do not know how much Watling walleted so i am not too sure we will.

Agreed.

I am assuming we have been also been left with a little spare cash.

But yes - the impression is that post next seasons contract lapses will leave us with a sustainable budget, meaning no fire sales and reinvestment of any received transfer fees.

So the key will be in continuing the current youth development lines and identifying cost effective transfer targets who are better than the current options.

Next summers (or Jans targets) already seem to be CB and striker options.

Hence me putting up ''more of this'' rather than ''all of this''
Undoubtedly we will only ever know parts, and they will be the less contentious bits

Of course we have had a terrific financial boost through the sale of two Murphy''s and a Maddison; ironic considering there is a feeling (not entirely unsupported by SW) that everything that went before was a disaster and "pissed up against the wall" .

Good job his predecessors got some things right.

[quote user="GPs Beard"]Of course we have had a terrific financial boost through the sale of two Murphy''s and a Maddison; ironic considering there is a feeling (not entirely unsupported by SW) that everything that went before was a disaster and "pissed up against the wall" .

Good job his predecessors got some things right.[/quote]
That was in relation to the Premier League money and not ''everything that went before''.

That is an IF though KC. And what is successful. For many it is winning every game 6-0. For others it is seeing 23 decent home games with a big measure of wins in that.

If we improve steadily, perhaps top eight and a decent enough run in a Cup, then that is success considering how tough it is getting into the top six.

Pops, I sent you a PM the other day. Did you receive it?

No Sir. If I did, where might I look for it? I don''t think anyone has ever sent me a PM before.

TCCANARY That was in relation to the Premier League money and not ''everything that went before''

You''ll be kind enough to direct me the quotes where Webber praises his predecessors? That was the point being made.

Norwich City will definitely not be spending everything they receive in future.

The whole point of ramping up the academy is to create a transfer surplus every year to balance the books.

As Daryl Russell once said on CanaryCall, Norwich City is a business.