Sign in to follow this  
TwoSheds

Face facts & get use to it,Norwich will never be a major force!

After all the squibble about Worthy & the team this season it really is time for many of the younger City fans out there to face facts & get use to it. Norwich have never & will never be a major force in the Premiership or any other name it might become in the future!

The 1960 season was the first time i went to watch Norwich,if i remember correctly we were in the old 3rd Division then,followed by atleast a decade or more in the 2nd Division with promotion to the then top flight 1st Division followed by relegation 2 seasons later. After that as many will remember we had the excitement of relegation & promotion on a number of occasions in the 80''s along with playing in the top flight in the early 90''s. Now im sure even the young members know the rest of the last 10 years or so? So what im really trying to say,just like the title post is ''face facts & get use to it'' Norwich will never be a steady top flight team pushing for European places in the Premiership!

Of course i hope im totally wrong about this & that one day i will be proved wrong & i hope even more that if it does ever happen,that it will be in my life time!

[quote]After all the squibble about Worthy & the team this season it really is time for many of the younger City fans out there to face facts & get use to it. Norwich have never & will never be a...[/quote]

I see what you are saying Two Sheds but I''m sure that when Bolton were in what is now League One a few years back many people felt that they would never be a top 10 Premier League side who qualified for Europe.

As for the "squibble" from us "younger" fans, it''s all about wanting the best for our club.  We have the potential to be a Premier League club.  I hope the club have a slightly more ambitous outlook than "have never & will never be a major force in the Premiership". 

I''m sorry that I was not born to remember the days when we were in the old 3rd division but I refuse to accept that we cannot be a Premiership team.  We were only one point away from a second season in the Prem and the purse strings would have been cut further had that been the case.  The club have to keep pushing and improving and we should never have the mentality of "We are where we belong" whatever league we are in.

But 2 Sheds - therein lies the issue.   We SHOULD be pushing to be an established Premiership club...

We are too happy to put up with average management, average players and an average board - because they''re better than what we''ve had recently...but that should not be good enough.   It''s not good enough for me, why do others think that we are doing so well?   We''ve just been relegated from the Premiership, we''ve made an apalling start to the season in the lower divisions.   What is going right?   I don''t accept it, never will.   We could and should be in a far superior position - we blew our chance in the 90''s - and it looks as if we''re going to blow our chance again.   And that makes me angry and sad.

[quote]After all the squibble about Worthy & the team this season it really is time for many of the younger City fans out there to face facts & get use to it. Norwich have never & will never be a...[/quote]

I think you''re being far too ''realistic''. Surely its about a lot of ifs and maybes, but most importantly its about baby steps.

I agree theres no point setting your targets at a top 7 finish in the premier league

but if we set a realistic target of getting promoted within the next 2 seasons

and then set a new target of staying in the premier league for 2 seasons

and then set a new target of finishing outside the bottom 8 in the premier league within 2 seasons

and so on

and so on

then surely it is a realistic target that we can be a regular premier league side with an outside chance of finishing in the top 7.

Obviously its easier to say than do and can be affected by a number of factors, but if we make gradual progression over the next 10 years or so then it is achievable.

I know what your saying but isn''t accepting it admitting
defeat, i''m sure even the likes of chester and yeovil have
dreams of becoming european challengers.

you''ve got to have some kind of ambition, or why play a
game. I''m not saying we could ever compete with chelsea,
but see no reason why we can''t aim to compete with charlton
and bolton over a period of time, with a good five year plan.

I''m sorry but I find this thread not only patronising but pointless (and you contradicted yourself at the end too) Look at the like of Bolton and Charlton 15 yrs ago some of their fans probably thought the same thing and it happens. True it might not but why not live with the dream of going onto bigger and better things. I''m sure you might have laughe in the face of anyone who told you Norwih would one day be killing off one of the biggest side in Europe and coming 3rd in th top flight. Of course it would have been a pipe dream to canary fans back then but it happened. The fact is that people are not happy with the way things now and understandably expect better things. We all know we shouldn''t be propping up this league like we currently do.

of course your points are valid and mostly correct.

I will add that we all love this club and want to see them achieve great things, but in our hearts we know we will never be a chelsea or a man u.
This will never prevent me from having the ambition to see this club firmly established in the Prem league and perfectly able to give the chelsea''s of this world a very good game. win the premiership we will not, but it will not be for lack of wanting to.

Both the football club and the city have grown significantly over the last 5 years. Unlike both Bolton or Charlton there are no nearby competitors. The club has, with the right management, the obvious and clear potential to become an established Premiership side.  That should certainly be the aim.

I would agree that we will never be a "major force" , presumably a top 4 Premiertship Team playing in the Champions League on a regular basis?

However, I see every reason why we should become an established Premiership Team and qualify for say the EUFA Cup on a fairly regular basis.

If we can get back into the Premiership, and stay up, then the cash flow into a Club over the course of 3 to 4 consecutive seasons allows any Club to start to build a squad based on real quality.

The big if is if we can back into the Premiership....right now that is looking extremely unlikely. However, there is nothing that same radical action won''t put right

At least half of the teams currently residing in the Premiership are of a similar stature to us financially, or have been in the lower divisions whilst we''ve been in the top flight. So I don''t see how we can accept that things are as good as they''re ever going to get.

However, I do accept that that thing might get a lot worse before they get better!!

When were Norwich ever a major force? I really do wonder about some of the people on this message board. I''d rather play passing football than neck-ache, crash and thunder football of Bolton or Blackburn. Hey, we should be a established Premiership club – let''s get a huge debt, splash wages on mediocre dross players, and bask in the glory of a 12th or 13th position … waiting until a rash of injuries plummet us into the division below and into financial meltdown. Alternatively we can be a club for the community, supported by the community, playing football in the right way and trying to establish ourselves through hard work, steady growth and prudent management.

We have the potential to become a top half prem club within 5 years if we can show a little less prudence and a lot more ambition. With Norwich growing as a city all the time there is the potential to attract crowds of 35-40,000 if we can establish ourselves as a top half prem club. Charlton and Bolton are no bigger than us and are now capable of attracting players they could only dream of 5 years ago.

The difference between Bolton & Norwich is quite big,as is Charlton & Norwich. Bolton''s Town,city,suburb of Manchester or whatever people call it has a far superiour population than the whole of Norfolk.Also people who live in that area have lived there all there lives(Who would want to move to Bolton anyway) where as Norfolk is a place where plenty of retired people move to or the London overspill to Thetford & now the surroundong areas has taken place over the years.

Walk through Norwich centre any day of the week & you see as many Manure,Arsenal,Spurs ect football shirts as you do Norwich shirts.So your not going to convert a die hard Gooner family into supporting Norwich are you?There maybe 70,000 or so City fans kicking around in Norfolk but getting half of them to Carrow road(if the stadium was big enough)on a weekly basis just wouldnt happen.The average wage around here is just to low,so how can the average father/husband afford that on £200 a week? Why was Carrow road not full in the late 90''s on a wendsday night or a saturday afternoon?Because some fans(not all) dont want to be watching Grimsby,Scunthorpe ect! Only the best teams & players will do! Yes it was great sitting there seeing the likes of Cantona,Hughes & co in the 90''s but the excitement & entertainment is still there even if it is a wet midweek game against Grimsby.Its still football after all & are''nt we all suposed to love the beautiful game whether its Man u,Grimsby or getting up on a sunday morning with a hangover playing over at Dickleburugh dodging the cow sh i t on the pitch? I totaly agree,Norwich has nearly all the right ingridients to become a established club in the Prem,but like i said in my original post after 40years of supporting them they have basically moved no-where(thats without going into all the finacial details & the stadium) as a team,meaning they are still yo yo-ing up & down the leagues instead of a established top flight team.

Anyway a lad wearing a ipswich top has just walked past my house so im going to end this now & go throw some rotten egss at him