Sign in to follow this  
mr footy

Rome was not built in a day.

Last season opening home fixture v Sunderland 26343 with 1143 visitors.
This season opening home fixture v West Brom  25,100 with 1100 visitors.
I will let you do the maths.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]Yeah and season upon season we will have to cut our cloth due to dwindling income from all aspects involved with the club and during that time we will become less and less competitive.[/quote]

What’s your master plan then TIL 1010? How would you go about creating a sustainable wage bill whilst trying to remain competitive in a demanding league with much much richer clubs?

Do you mean when I reply to someone I disagree with giving my own opinion to show why I disagree? Dont mean to break shocking news to you but there aint much of a forum without it.

And before you go down the line of me making insults etc, a few things.

1) Look at your following around and constant berating of City 1st

2) I only ever become sarcastic or whatever if someone has decided to personally attack me or someone at the club which I feel is unfair and misguided. And ill always state why, too.

You can tell you were a policeman. Not a massive fan of evidence.

Seek outside investment which is something the current board seem to have dismissed out of hand.

[quote user="hogesar"]Do you mean when I reply to someone I disagree with giving my own opinion to show why I disagree? Dont mean to break shocking news to you but there aint much of a forum without it.

And before you go down the line of me making insults etc, a few things.

1) Look at your following around and constant berating of City 1st

2) I only ever become sarcastic or whatever if someone has decided to personally attack me or someone at the club which I feel is unfair and misguided. And ill always state why, too.

You can tell you were a policeman. Not a massive fan of evidence.[/quote]
Well done Mr Footy, you''ve managed to collaborate these lot into one thread. Enjoy!
If you can get anymore provocative towards posters on here please let me know and if you wish to get insulting towards my former profession i suggest you are very careful in what you say and put into print.

I must admit, I too am in the “frustrated that we have never even considered outside investment camp” but I just don’t think were going to buy our way out of this division given the riches of the owners within it.

Yes, additional investment would be helpful as long as we were not reckless but we still need a degree of patience to build a team and style that can be successful. I’m not a we must retain farke man but I do think at some point we have to get off the carousel of getting rid of managers every 18 months.

The finances of the game now dictate that Norwich will need a measured and sensible approach. It can be done but it will take time.

[quote user="Big O"]I must admit, I too am in the “frustrated that we have never even considered outside investment camp” but I just don’t think were going to buy our way out of this division given the riches of the owners within it.

Yes, additional investment would be helpful as long as we were not reckless but we still need a degree of patience to build a team and style that can be successful. I’m not a we must retain farke man but I do think at some point we have to get off the carousel of getting rid of managers every 18 months.

The finances of the game now dictate that Norwich will need a measured and sensible approach. It can be done but it will take time.[/quote]
Yeah i am with you on this Mr Orbison but while we are busy plugging holes in the finances by having a revolving door of grow your own first teamers the team will never develop as a unit to mount a challenge and unfortunately other clubs will pass us by and we will slowly sink down the pecking order for Premier football.
Watford,Bournemouth,Burnley to name but three.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]
[quote user="Big O"]I must admit, I too am in the “frustrated that we have never even considered outside investment camp” but I just don’t think were going to buy our way out of this division given the riches of the owners within it.

The finances of the game now dictate that Norwich will need a measured and sensible approach. It can be done but it will take time.[/quote]
Yeah i am with you on this Mr Orbison but while we are busy plugging holes in the finances by having a revolving door of grow your own first teamers the team will never develop as a unit to mount a challenge and unfortunately other clubs will pass us by and we will slowly sink down the pecking order for Premier football.
Watford,Bournemouth,Burnley to name but three.
[/quote]

I don’t really think you can compare us with Watford or Bournemouth currently. Burnley maybe the model we could most likely replicate.

Bournemouth went up at the same time as us but with a manager who had a clear plan and a team that all knew their style of play. Alex Neil just didn’t have the same experience to fall back on and the additions we made that winter, we are still paying off as are the strange signings post this (wildschut!). They also have a billionaire owner so can be a little bit more adventurous than us. I expect their bubble to burst though.

Watford are similar, much more money and a very good recruitment structure in place (probably shared across the 3 or 4 clubs their owners invest in). They also have the slight advantage of being a “London club”. You think their approach must come a cropper at some point but looking pretty good so far.

Burnley, fair play are doing a great job, really good manager and over-achieving. You do get the feeling that one of two things will happen there... 1. Dyche will get a bigger job or 2.they will start believing they are better than they are, expect champagne football, try and change their style of play and hurtle down at pace.

I personally think we should try and create a style of football that Norwich fans enjoy, quick passing football, on the front foot and trying to bring all players/future managers into suit that model.

At the risk of being controversial, I think Webber has so far done a fantastic job in partnership with Steve stone. The club has avoided a major financial issue, the team looks like being competitive and he hired a coach that appears to develop young players. Is it where we want to be, no not yet, will farke get us there - maybe not but the foundations look much more secure, with some talent on the books. Webber might even be ruthless, he might just say, it’s not working at the end of this season and bring someone else in to operate within the structure.

I don’t think this team is a million miles away, I expect us to be 8thish this year. If we’re not then I think maybe we have underachieved

Bournemouth went up at the same time as us but with a manager who had a clear plan and a team that all knew their style of play. Alex Neil just didn’t have the same experience to fall back on

That and a Russian billionaire owner who’s money made it possible for a club that gets crowds of 10,000 to get to the PL

After a few months away from football and this forum, I was lucky enough to go yesterday, plenty of seats around.

I have to say for a season opener home game the atmosphere was the flattest I’ve experienced, the baggies fans were constantly out singing the Barclay.

Plenty of empty seating around.

The game was very open with both teams not being able to defend very well, thought we actually looked fairly good going forward, Pukki & Onel were outstanding players for us.

Considering the 40 million plus positive cash flow from the I thought we looked as good as we did at any point last year.

My biggest concern was for 70 minutes any free kicks we won in the Baggies half were taken either sidewards or played back to the back four! Not once did we get Hanley & Klose into the box and try a set piece.

Enjoyed the game, think it’ll be a season of decent enough football.

Last but not least I was walking back towards riverside and noted a old gentleman with his walking cane countering away.....Delia Out, bored out, we’ve been taken for a ride long enough! Made me smile.

[quote user="JF"]Bournemouth went up at the same time as us but with a manager who had a clear plan and a team that all knew their style of play. Alex Neil just didn’t have the same experience to fall back on

That and a Russian billionaire owner who’s money made it possible for a club that gets crowds of 10,000 to get to the PL[/quote]

I mentioned the billionaire owner and whilst it is clear he bankrolled them!the players they had in the first season weren’t off the scale, most of the, were lower league players. I think i can remember that in the first season, I think we went to their place ahead of them but they had decided to buy afobe and he scored a few goals to keep them up but they did continue to play the same way, we went through all sorts of styles!

Last season opening home fixture v Sunderland 26343 with 1143 visitors.

This season opening home fixture v West Brom 25,100 with 1100 visitors.

Average attendance last season 25785, hardly a massive drop is it ?

[quote user="FenwayFrank"]Last season opening home fixture v Sunderland 26343 with 1143 visitors.

This season opening home fixture v West Brom 25,100 with 1100 visitors.

Average attendance last season 25785, hardly a massive drop is it ?[/quote]
I was comparing a like for like fixture FF, 1st home game, the month was August, the weather was good,similar number of away fans and probably most importantly two newly relegated clubs.
We cannot make a comparison with what you have posted until next May but i have a strong feeling it will be a lot lower than 25785. You may think otherwise of course.

At the risk of being controversial, I think Webber has so far done a fantastic job in partnership with Steve stone. The club has avoided a major financial issue, the team looks like being competitive and he hired a coach that appears to develop young players.

i do not Agree that Webber should really be praised with doing such a great job

his hand has been forced they have little choice to do what they are doing if the club has no money they get Freebies or cheaper players

selling the Family silver what they had to do to plug the gap was again forced and very very lucky we had them to sell

He was forced again to get the wages down so had to loan out players like Naismith etc

Webber has has had a easier job because he can blame everyone for getting him in this mess now we have got a Webber team almost we will see how good he has been

With a new goalkeeper, two new strikers, Marshall/Passlack/Buendia/McLean etc....Srbeny and Hernandez in their first full season, it is a sure fire thing that we will not see the best of them and team consistency straight away.   Rome wasn''t built in a day, but the quality is there to be seen - if you are of a mind to see it. We have started scoring good goals this season and long may that continue.  Let''s see what happens as the season progresses and the team/squad settles down.

I mentioned the billionaire owner and whilst it is clear he bankrolled them!the players they had in the first season weren’t off the scale, most of the, were lower league players. I think i can remember that in the first season, I think we went to their place ahead of them but they had decided to buy afobe and he scored a few goals to keep them up but they did continue to play the same way, we went through all sorts of

Yeah I realised you had mentioned it after I’d posted. Think the season they got promoted the paid some hefty wages on loan players? Is a while ago now but pretty sure they were living well beyond their means

I also do not think Webber has done a fantastic job with the finances. All he has done is to sell all our best assets to raise some cash. Its a bit like selling your house to clear your mortgage and then spend whats left to buy a caravan. He is a typical "company hatchet man" but I will show him some admiration if he stays with us and produces a good thriving and successfull business. But when people start saying it will take six years before we rebuild the team (or might) then that is a very gloomy outlook. We have no right to be a premiership side, there is no easy answer, but the Board has to take the blame over recent years by trying to make do with inexperienced managers/coaches on the cheap.

If we are competitive this season then Webber will have done a fantastic job. He doesn''t set the budgets and I''m sure he would have loved to have kept Maddison.

The issue for six years would be how many more Bournemouth, Watford and Wolves teams over take us with ritch owners?

Leeds, Forrest this season have spent big, will FFP really be around in six years or will this change as pressure is applied by more clubs at this level? Who knows how we will compare to others, success for us might be measured in just staying in the championship in six years!

Who knows!

Krull making an awful error, probably one of the worst in his career, which directly led to a West Brom goal!

Rhodes taking probably the worst penalty hes taken in his life and certainly one of the worst I''ve seen from a Norwich player in all my time!

These two individual moments denied us a win against a team which most would say should be major contenders this season!