Sign in to follow this  
Alex Moss

Remi Matthews departs Norwich

Thought he would go out on loan, but apparently he’ll sign for them permanently in January!

https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/2018/august/bolton-wanderers-sign-remi-matthews-on-loan/

Abit of an odd one, I wonder if he''s not happy with the situation and wants to get on with his career he is 24 now, I know that''s young for a keeper but perhaps he see''s things differently to Webber and Farke in terms or readiness for this level. Good luck to him always respect a player who wants a move to play actual football.

Yep, best of luck to him, didn’t have the best pre season with us but he deserves the chance to establish himself as a number 1 in the Championship (now watch him have a blinder of a season!). I wonder what sort of fee we’ll receive for him in January, I wouldn’t imagine much at all but I guess that side of things has already been agreed.

Kind of defeats the develop the youth players for the future.

I know he is 24 but he was hardly given the time to play in the first team.

Good luck to the lad. Bit annoying though if we dont get anyone homegrown in to replace him as that means weve got mcgovern wasting a spot that could go towards the quota.

KG - You cant play them if theyre not good enough. I dont see how it defeats the purpose of developing players. If he aint good enough then he aint good enough. We may have only seen a bit of him but hes played probably 80+ league games at this point. We may not know if hes good enough but the club will do as theyve had him watched when hes been on loan etc.

There must have been more to this than a few dodgy moments during pre-season games.

The relevant coaches failed to rate him highly enough overall it would seem. Disappointing, very, especially as good reports from last season followed him back to Carrow Road.

We now seem to be making a habit of producing "promising" young ''keepers who we expect a lot from yet for various reasons are never able to establish themselves in our first team; Lewis, Steer, Rudd and now Matthews. They all go on to have decent careers, but nothing more.

Will Oxborough follow the same path or will he be ready once Krul served his stint?

It''s unusual for us to have a goalkeeping problem as City getting a decent man between the sticks has often seemed like shelling peas in the past, with few exceptions to this.

You cant play them if theyre not good enough.

That is true. But is a few pre season games enough to judge. He hadn''t made a mistake in the Championship had he. But the guy to replace him already has.

This is when I do question the coaching staff and their judgement more closely.

And yes you can say they know more than me but that would kind of negate the need for this site wouldn''t it?

[quote user="keelansgrandad"]Kind of defeats the develop the youth players for the future.

I know he is 24 but he was hardly given the time to play in the first team.[/quote]

Why?... in any group of under u23 players a judgement call has to be made as to whether they''re good enough to remain at the club or not. ...historically at every club the majority aren''t and end up playing for a club if a lower standing. The fact that we got £22m for the Murphys shows that developing players can still pay for itself , however whether the overall success rate of young players breaking through to the first team justifies funding an academy is a moot point

Why?... in any group of under u23 players a judgement call has to be made as to whether they''re good enough to remain at the club or not. ...historically at every club the majority aren''t and end up playing for a club if a lower standing. The fact that we got £22m for the Murphys shows that developing players can still pay for itself , however whether the overall success rate of young players breaking through to the first team justifies funding an academy is a moot point

I think what I am probably trying to say is I don''t necessarily believe that the ultimate goal with the current coaching staff is to trust in the developing players.

None in the starting line up and three on the bench.

Of course it is easy to say they aren''t good enough and they may not be but I honestly don''t believe there is enough trust by DF.

Was pulling for him so disappointed he didn''t make the step up. It was clearly now or never though and he didn''t do enough in preseason to convince.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]There must have been more to this than a few dodgy moments during pre-season games. [/quote]
Farke wants his keepers to be comfortable on the ball, and I think the Raggett own goal at the Lincoln friendly showed that neither Matthews nor Raggett were comfortable on the ball.
If they were putting McGovern on the bench ahead of him, despite Matthews being both homegrown and clubgrown, then the club clearly didn''t think he was much better than League 1 /Lower Championship standard.

So I wonder, does this mean Oxborough will get his chance to become 3rd choice (or better) - or will we have a replacement coming in on loan? 2 keepers out the Carrow Rd door now this summer including Jones...

I think Oxborough will continue to get playing time with the U23''s, rather than sit on the first team bench. It''s unlikely Krul will have another error like that in him.... worst case another loan before Aug 31 from the Premier League.

You dont trust Farke to bring the youth through KG? The same Farke who pulled Jamal Lewis straight in as first choice LB? And has Cantwell, Godfrey etc all being pulled into the squd... Who do we have developing tht you think should be starting in the team?

Youre entitled to your opinion but im interested to know what has helped you to form it as it seems a bit off key with my perception.

Coach gets nervous for the coming season so gets an experienced keeper in. Coach would like t9 see how he improved but keeper haa already had several seasons of loans and want to stake hos own claim elsewhere.

Disappointing to see a club grown player leave but it is another success.

Suspect we wont see a replacement come in (unless there is a too good too miss option) altgough i would like a home grown replacement for McGovern to free up a space for the likes of trybull or buendia on the bench instead of a keeper who wont play 95% of the time and so wont influence the outcome of the game

You dont trust Farke to bring the youth through KG? The same Farke who pulled Jamal Lewis straight in as first choice LB? And has Cantwell, Godfrey etc all being pulled into the squd... Who do we have developing tht you think should be starting in the team?

No I don''t trust him to do that.

Lewis was promoted because they realised they made a mistake with Franke and Husband.

Where has Matthews been given a chance apart from some pretty tame friendlies?

Godfrey had a full season, and by remarks, a pretty good one with Shrewsbury, a club who had a good season.

Thompson is fully fit after injury, an injury that looked to have robbed us of a strong, mobile midfield player.

I haven''t seen Cantwell apart from a sub appearance so can''t comment.

All three were on the bench while a player who hadn''t figured in pre season goes straight into the team. So no trust there.

So from my point of view, I have no faith that DF is looking to promote these lads. And it will be unfair if we make a poor start and they get thrown in to turn things around.

[quote user="keelansgrandad"]And it will be unfair if we make a poor start and they get thrown in to turn things around.[/quote]

But isn’t that the whole point of having a football squad rather than a set starting 11, Keelansgrandad? You don’t play well, another lad gets a chance. That’s how it works, it’s not unfair - they’re waiting for that very moment.

On my phone with little battery so keep it brief... Lewis started every preseason game under Farke. Before Husband and Franke were even at the club if i recall correctly. He was the starting left back and then got injured just before the season... not sure where u have the impression bout him being put in due to others failings but thats not accurate.

And matthews has several seasons worth of loan appearances. If they had some concerns from those then why would ypu give him a chance in league after calamitous preseason? I get what youre saying but you seem to think they didnt bother watching him on loan and are bsing thr decision solely off preseson which i dont think is very likely.

Lewis would have been first choice for the first game of the season had he not been injured in pre season, because he was better than Husband in pre season. Not sure why Franke the central defender has anythign to do with why a left back plays or not.
Gunn and Maddison were also thrown straight in despite being inexperienced at this level (or any pro level in Gunn''s case).
Safe to say that if a young player is good enough they will play under Farke. Looking forward to seeing Godfrey, Buendia, Passlack, Thompaon, Lewis and Cantwell over the coming season. Hopefully Idah too but I suppose a loan away from the club either soon or next season is more likely.

i do not blame the Matthews he did what the club wanted went out on loan played well then came back and we signed a more experienced Keeper

Now i do not know if it was his choice to leave or the clubs but it is best for him to make a New start with a fresh club

once these players taste 1st team games on loan unless they come back and get in the team more will be wanting to move on

Oxborough is clearly behind Matthews based on who started in the pre season games - so I suspect he, like others before him, could really do with a loan and competitive football to sharpen him up which he wont get sat on a bench. But that looks unlikely as he is the third keeper.