Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's report v W.B.A.

"The pivot role requires a defensive-minded fear-smeller without ego who

is a simple, cool passer who is tactically aware and doesn’t puppy-chase

the ball."
The often unsung hero who will stick doggedly to his task and will often have his contribution overlooked by the fans and media, but is the first name on the team sheet.
I think Tettey has played with that discipline in the past, either he has been given more freedom in a side with more attacking intent or, as I suspect, he has not fully understood his role.

Nutty et al, wasn''t there a pre-season statement by Webber about a commitment to shoot towards the Barclay end in the 2nd half? I think the suggestion that there''s a slope to the pitch is a myth.

As for the game; I was impressed with Pukki, Hernandez and Rhodes'' movement is excellent. Good to see a striker scoring in the 6 yard box. If we can cut out the silly mistakes, we''ll score plenty of goals with those 3 in the team. Need to see more of MacLean and Marshall, but i don''t think they played in their natural positions on Saturday.

And Krul - yes, he made a mistake, but he also made two point-blank saves from goal-bound efforts.

I don''t think it''s a myth. In fact I''m sure it was one of the things Webber said the money that was peed up the wall could have been spent on.

I might be wrong, but since the pitch has been a Desso pitch (which was renewed this season) , and the previous one was around 14 years old, I think the slope is negligible. Certainly this new one is laser levelled and I would have thought the previous one was too. They tend to "fall" from the centre spot for draining but there may be a few foibles in the land leading down to the River!

The new pitch at Conley is also laser levelled. Its fabulous .

McNally had a philosophy to put all of the money into the playing squad - which got us up , kept us up , and then got us back up. Then it failed to get us up again , and left us in a tricky financial position , which Webber is now trying to put right . Webber is working to a different plan it would seem , by putting monies into areas other than the playing squad, albeit he has borrowed the money from investors to pump money into the academy.

I don''t agree that money was peed up against anything, it simply didn''t work the last time we tried to go straight back up, and the lack of non playing investment at Colney has caught up with us at a time that we are not in the Prem. If we had put all of the money into the squad , and we had gone up as we did in 2015, we would now have Prem money to spend all over the Club. Its just skinning the cat in different ways , the success of which is judged by results.

Good points there Woodman, you can see Rhodes is a goalscorer, just by his movement.

I think Krul will definitely come good. He has shown he is a good goalkeeper and even the best have been known to make a howler once and again. So I don''t think that will be a problem.

The anchor man in midfield...I hope Thompson gets a chance and fulfils the potential he so clearly has... I wasn''t convinced by the Tettey performance to put it mildly...so he would not be starting next match...

[quote user="GPs Beard"]I might be wrong, but since the pitch has been a Desso pitch (which was renewed this season) , and the previous one was around 14 years old, I think the slope is negligible. Certainly this new one is laser levelled and I would have thought the previous one was too. They tend to "fall" from the centre spot for draining but there may be a few foibles in the land leading down to the River!

The new pitch at Conley is also laser levelled. Its fabulous .

McNally had a philosophy to put all of the money into the playing squad - which got us up , kept us up , and then got us back up. Then it failed to get us up again , and left us in a tricky financial position , which Webber is now trying to put right . Webber is working to a different plan it would seem , by putting monies into areas other than the playing squad, albeit he has borrowed the money from investors to pump money into the academy.

I don''t agree that money was peed up against anything, it simply didn''t work the last time we tried to go straight back up, and the lack of non playing investment at Colney has caught up with us at a time that we are not in the Prem. If we had put all of the money into the squad , and we had gone up as we did in 2015, we would now have Prem money to spend all over the Club. Its just skinning the cat in different ways , the success of which is judged by results.[/quote]
I agree about the peed against the wall comments Beardo. But at least Webber was honest about what he inherited. The pitch had a slope. Maybe negligible but enough to make the club set up to attack the riverend second half. The pitch was last laid in 2004 and I find myself wondering why it wasn''t sorted satisfactorily then. Hopefully the technology now will work but as you say the natural geography of the stadium is on the way to a river.  
Stuart Webber is looking for brownie points by suggesting this change is for the fans. He knows as well as you and I that if we don''t improve the home form we won''t be cheered on even if we kick towards the moon second half....

[quote user="nutty nigel"]
Stuart Webber is looking for brownie points by suggesting this change is for the fans. He knows as well as you and I that if we don''t improve the home form we won''t be cheered on even if we kick towards the moon second half....
[/quote]

Well, lets see how it goes. So far it''s o for one.