Sign in to follow this  
Samwam27

Husband

What do you think is more ludicrous?

a) The "victim syndrome" regarding Husband

b) Comments suggesting a pro footballer "is not a footballer. He just isn''t. There is not one ounce of footballing intelligence in that guy''s brain, and even less talent."?

Two sides of the same coin perhaps. The fact of the matter is Husband is currently performing as a below average left back in the second highest division of English football. Some people think he will improve, some won''t.

"We could try supporting him".

Yep. It''s easy to slate someone for their perceived shortcomings, ignore any positive work from last season, assume a player can''t improve.......much harder to make the leap of faith and encourage and support them in the hope they will develop, get the confidence they need or whatever.

Well he''s our Husband.....and from this season forward "for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer... and in sickness, injury and in health.....until transfer/sale.....do us part.....

[quote user="lake district canary"]"We could try supporting him".

Yep. It''s easy to slate someone for their perceived shortcomings, ignore any positive work from last season, assume a player can''t improve.......much harder to make the leap of faith and encourage and support them in the hope they will develop, get the confidence they need or whatever.[/quote]
Some people also believe in a shiny man who lives in the cloud and created the world.... I prefer realism and Science to blind hope and faith.

[quote user="Ian"]What do you think is more ludicrous?

a) The "victim syndrome" regarding Husband

b) Comments suggesting a pro footballer "is not a footballer. He just isn''t. There is not one ounce of footballing intelligence in that guy''s brain, and even less talent."?

Two sides of the same coin perhaps. The fact of the matter is Husband is currently performing as a below average left back in the second highest division of English football. Some people think he will improve, some won''t.[/quote]
There was obvious hyperbole in what I was saying after yet another useless display. Obviously I expected people to be able to take the implication, not read it literally. Not sure how that''s the other side of "Husband is great, he''s just never shown it, he was decent in some games last season that I didn''t see but I have read about, but can''t actually name any of them and nobody else can remember, but just remember it''s not Husband''s fault he''s rubbish, it''s everybody else''s."
So yeah, the victim syndrome is far more ludicrous than hyperbolic comments which quite patently weren''t to be taken literally, but to make a point about how poor he''d been (again).

I wonder how many of those slating Husband can truthfully say they''ve achieved more in their careers than he has in his. And I wonder how many of those who can''t truthfully say it think of themselves as being "rubbish". 

[quote user="westcoastcanary"]I wonder how many of those slating Husband can truthfully say they''ve achieved more in their careers than he has in his. And I wonder how many of those who can''t truthfully say it think of themselves as being "rubbish". [/quote]
The guy is a professional benchwarmer, happy to sit on the bench aged 24 and pick up his considerable wages for working 3 hours per day aged 24. Nice work if you can get it, but I''m not sure what exactly you think he has accomplished in the footballing world that puts him in the category of high achiever. I''ve provided far greater service to my chosen profession (and society more generally through the nature of my work) than he has in his.

I didn''t say Husband is "a high achiever" in his profession; I asked how many of those slating him can honestly say they''ve done better in their profession that he has in his, and if they can''t honestly say that, whether they regard themselves in the same light as they regard him, i.e. as "rubbish".

[quote user="westcoastcanary"]I didn''t say Husband is "a high achiever" in his profession; I asked how many of those slating him can honestly say they''ve done better in their profession that he has in his, and if they can''t honestly say that, whether they regard themselves in the same light as they regard him, i.e. as "rubbish".[/quote]
It''s difficult to compare because football isn''t like any other profession (unless we have some closet pro athletes on here). Husband has not done anything in his profession. Aged 24 he has played a total of 40 league games. That''s almost unheard of for a player his age. So I struggle to see what you''re saying he has achieved. I would imagine if the benchmark is try to avoid doing your job as much as possible and then do it poorly when you have to do something then probably most people have achieved far more in their career than he has in his.

Kick it off - "I''ve provided far greater service to my chosen profession (and society more generally through the nature of my work) than he has in his."

Sorry but that is not your call to make.

[quote user="lake district canary"]Kick it off - "I''ve provided far greater service to my chosen profession (and society more generally through the nature of my work) than he has in his."

Sorry but that is not your call to make.[/quote]
Sorry, but actually it is. I''ve done things in my career rather than sit around.

Is it time for the Roeder classic that I''ve probably misquoted?

"I must have missed your time as England Manager"

[quote user="kick it off"][quote user="lake district canary"]Kick it off - "I''ve provided far greater service to my chosen profession (and society more generally through the nature of my work) than he has in his."

Sorry, but actually it is. I''ve done things in my career rather than sit around.
[/quote]
Hasn''t James Husband played 40 odd championship matches now? How many footballers in the world are there and how many have played at Husbands level of the EFL Championship? He''s probably in the top 10% of his profession in the world, probably actually even higher. I have no idea. But food for thought.

[quote user="lake district canary"]Lol. That''s just self entrancing nonsense.[/quote]
I''ve helped to put abusive parents in jail for some horrific things they''ve done to kids. I''ve changed the lives of numerous kids. I''ve got kids who were getting involved with drugs and gangs etc back off that path and into being productive members of society. I''ve supported kids who had been sexually assaulted etc etc. There are literally kids in society today who would be dead if it weren''t for my intervention. Literally.
Tell me how being a professional footballer who doesn''t actually play any games, and when he does, plays poorly has offered more to their profession, or to wider society than that. It''s not self-entrancing  nonsense, it''s just reality. If you can''t tell me, very clearly, what Husband has achieved that has offered more to football than I have to young people, or to wider society, then you can, in the nicest possible way, shut it.

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="kick it off"][quote user="lake district canary"]Kick it off - "I''ve provided far greater service to my chosen profession (and society more generally through the nature of my work) than he has in his."

[/quote]
Hasn''t James Husband played 40 odd championship matches now? How many footballers in the world are there and how many have played at Husbands level of the EFL Championship? He''s probably in the top 10% of his profession in the world, probably actually even higher. I have no idea. But food for thought.
[/quote]
How many footballers are happy to sit on the bench aged 24 with less than 50 appearances in their entire career? I suspect that if he had played more games then he probably wouldn''t still be plying his trade at the level he currently does as he would have been found out. There''s a reason none of the loan clubs wanted him and he couldn''t get near Boro''s squad.
I take your point, but he''s played less Championship games, despite always being at clubs of that level for his whole career than many players who''ve been in the country for 12 months.
By way of response to the 10%, that doesn''t represent his actual ability any more than saying a teacher who works in England must be in the top 10% because they managed to get a job teaching in a country that is in the top 10% globally. 

[quote user="lake district canary"]Lol. That''s just self entrancing nonsense.

Lol again. That should read "That''s just self engrandising nonsense[/quote]
No, that''s just the facts of my career to date. The reason you''re trying to belittle it, is because you actually have no valid point. Like I said, explain very clearly what Husband has achieved in his career that offered more to football, than I have to young people, or to society more generally, or shut up. 
It''s a stupid debate to a stupid question because football isn''t comparable to most careers, so the concept of it was flawed from the outset, however if you want to play that game, then play it, don''t just hide there making digs because you know you''ve been caught out with no valid point to make.

Nine pages devoted to just how bad a City player is or isn''t.

Some critics seem to have got the matter firmly between their teeth and won''t let go.

Sorry to appear sanctimonious but dwelling upon the negative is not my chosen way of supporting the club. I seem to remember that it was quite some time ago that it was generally decided that James Husband was a trier but not quite up to scratch at the level in which the team exists. However, we were fortunate to have unearthed Jamal Lewis at about the same time which rightfully relegated Husband to the role of back-up.

That''s it as far as I''m concerned and I would hope that the Hubby saga never reaches the lengths and depths as that devoted to poor old Russ, whereby the same old arguments for and against were repeated again and again and again.

Yet first we hear of booing the player when he is performing this back-up role, now this diatribe of assassination. Some supporters actually enjoy all that kind of stuff? Unbelievable. It''s certainly not the way to get the best from any player or get more points on the board for City, whatever the circumstances.

Apologies but I feel that some of the comments against the player are firmly OTT and seem designed to be self-fulfilling, realising that this forum is as public as is booing during a game and it therefore seems as if some would wish for nothing less than a witch-hunting style situation.

By the way, I notice that a thread devoted to young Hernandez, who looks like being a real star this season, has received just seven replies I believe it was posted only about a day later.

I''ll leave my venom for the Simon Hooper thread thanks.

[quote user="curious yellow"]KIO I suggest you return to your commendable work because you have been too long repeating your abuse for a player in a team we all support.[/quote]
Yep, I''m leaving this thread well alone now. The point stands he is utterly rubbish, and probably one of the worst 10 players in the entire league, but those making excuses will keep making excuses for him. I will support the team when they''re on the pitch, but make no apologies for the Husband criticism when they''re not.
Be delighted to eat humble pie on this one and for him to come good, or at least for him to become adequate but it just ain''t going to happen.

it is all about opinions. I cant say I think he is utterly rubbish and there are def 10 worse players in the champs for me, but each to their own. We have him and he is very likely to start on sat so just take care of your blood pressure on sat ;-)

But with the mad loan smash and grab of prem league squads is there anyone out there that you think we should be taking on as cover instead??

He’s 24 years old, and hardly played for three Championship clubs in the last four years. None of his loan clubs made it permanent. That suggests a bang average to lower level Championship player. He did ok at Doncaster which suggests his level is League One. These are the cold hard facts.

[quote user="Hoola Han Solo"]He’s 24 years old, and hardly played for three Championship clubs in the last four years. None of his loan clubs made it permanent. That suggests a bang average to lower level Championship player. He did ok at Doncaster which suggests his level is League One. These are the cold hard facts.[/quote]
So is it lower championship or league one level, because you''ve managed to ''suggest'' both in the same post.

[quote user="Hoola Han Solo"]He’s 24 years old, and hardly played for three Championship clubs in the last four years. None of his loan clubs made it permanent. That suggests a bang average to lower level Championship player. He did ok at Doncaster which suggests his level is League One. These are the cold hard facts.[/quote] "Average to lower level Championship player", yes. "Did OK at Doncaster" yes. Other "cold, hard facts" include "was sufficiently OK at Doncaster to earn a contact at Championship club Middlesbrough; was sufficiently ok to be signed on emergency loan by Championship club Fulham in March 2015 and be re-signed by Fulham, again on loan, for the first half of the 2015/16 season; was sufficiently ok to be signed on emergency loan by Championship club Huddersfield for the second half of the 2015/16 season, making 11 appearances, the vast majority being starts". These are facts; what is far from factual is the rubbishing he has been subjected to on this thread and elsewhere. 

Who scouted/suggested/recommended Husband?

Who then paid the fee for Husband?

Who picks the squad and plays Husband?

.....Just sayin''.....

Don''t blame the player.....