Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Rider

Scrap the Academy (or Worthington)!

The Lisbie loan is yet another example of Worthy''s shot termism and failure to develop our own youngsters. We all know that he will step straight into the team even if he doesn''t start tomorrow. So what is the point in Jarvis, Hendo etc. when with our crop of injuries and suspension, the manager panicks and gets a loan in rather than giving these boys a chance.

Let''s be honest, we get a stream of propoganda from the club and other people / organisations like FONCY who spout on about......''crucial youth policy, the lifeblood of the club (yeah right!!), promising youngsters coming through'' etc. etc. yet the reality is totally different. Of course the youngsters have to be good enough but if the best ones aren''t given real opportunities then we''ll never know will we?

Take Jarvis, some comments recently are ...''he''s never done it in the first team''! What garbage! He came in with a bang as a 16 year old in spring 2003 but since then HAS NOT STARTED A SINGLE LEAGUE GAME. His only start since then was the league cup at Northampton. Even after the cracking goal v Liverpool he didn''t start the West Ham cup game. Now some might say that his ''attitude is wrong'' etc. etc. Sorry but that''s where a ''manager'' should really come into his own. He should spot where a player may be getting demotivated and try and reverse that trend with motivation, inspiration and yes, discipline if necessary.

The latest hype soon will be on Spillane and Martin - ''tremendous prospects'' etc. SO WHAT! Under this regime, they will soon fall by the wayside.

The Academy must cost a FORTUNE. It''s an absolute waste of money under this regime. We may as well flush the money down the traps. SCRAP IT (or better still, keep it and scrap the manager!).  

Jarvis only came back from injury on Monday, why play someone who isn''t fit? Thorne and Leon are injured, Hucks suspended so we needed another striker - pure and simple.

I haven''t seen a team for tomorrow announced so whay are people assuming Lisbie instantly starts

My guess is that McVeigh will start alongside Deano (which would be good because WLYP has a quick footballing brain if not as sharp with his legs), and that Lisbie will be on the bench. Again I''m not sure why there are so many moaners - it''s not a great signing, Worthy should have done better before the deadline but that''s past now. Lisbie is pretty quick and I would not be surprised to see him get a couple of goals. Do not think he is a long term answer but could help over the next month or so. On youth players - Ryan Jarvis is not fully fit, Hendo is perhaps a bit unlucky, but the rest are not ready yet. I would like to see a managed introduction to league football for Rossi Jarvis, Spillane, Eagles etc but anyone who thinks they are capable of surviving in this division are sadly mistaken.

Good post Yellow Rider!
Whatever the Worthington apologists say, the man just hasn''t got the mindset to give youth a realistic chance.
Goodness knows when/if Duncan Edwards or George Best would have got a chance under this sadly one dimensional individual.

Sorry Mate think you are sadly mistaken, the academy i believe is funded largely by the FA that is why there are only so many clubs that were granted Academy status when it began.

FONCY do a fantastic job fundraising for the academy funding trips, hotels etc.

If only one player ie Shacks were to come through the system it would be well worth it anyway. 

I do agree Worthy seems reluctant to use academy boys, but I do believe that the jump to first team is vast and unfortunately some boys are not fully developed by the time their scholarship ends (which is 18 now by the way) but i dont think anything would be achieved by scrapping the academy .... WORTHY on the other hand is a toatally different kettle of fish.

sack neither. The acadamy have good players but none of them are ready yet imo. None of them would be as good as lisbie, Worthington has managed to bring in lisbie who will be a very good striker while he is here.

So for now, give both a chance

The problem here is WHEN do they get a chance?

OK so we need some good performances pretty quickly from the team to make up for the poor start - that said, if people like Jarvis, Henderson et al are going to gain any experience they need to get some first team football - but someone''s got to take the risk on them to see if they''re going to perform at that level?

Who''s going to take that risk?  Worthy??????

I know he''s been injured, but the lack of opportunities given to Jarvis should be a real cause for concern. Along with Shackell, he is a young player that we need to be investing in and developing for the future, and if he can''t get a game at home to the likes of Plymouth, well when? This loan signing of Lisbie must send a pretty demoralising message to him as he gets back to match fitness.

Still, it''s nice of Alan Curbishley to let us sharpen up one of his younger players with first team football. That will be dead useful to us once the months up...

I think a lot of you need to understand how tough it is to make it as a professional, as I''m convinced you have no idea. The thing is, we have a first team, with good individuals in each position. As a young player, unless you have incredible talent (like Rooney or Bellamy) you will only get a very limited number of opportunities to impress in the first team. And the point is, when the opportunity comes along - YOU MUST TAKE IT. Because if you don''t, you will find you won''t get many more opportunities, however much potential you show or have.  You have to take the chance - ie if you get a half chance on goal, you stick it in the back of the net, no miss, no unlucky bounce and scuff - because you may never get another chance. Take Paul Scholes at Man Utd. He was given some games at the end of a season when he was young, as managers tend to do. The fact he kept on scoring, made everyone take note. Had he not, he could well have faded away given the stellar attack Utd had at the time. Alan Smith when he was at Leeds scored 7 seconds into his first team debut. And then he scored in his second game too. You need to do this to keep getting picked.

The problem with our youngsters is that they are not taking their chances when they come around. If Jarvis stuck a hatrick against Northampton in the League Cup he wouldn''t be a reserve today. The fact we lost 1-0 showed that he didn''t take his chance. His chances are running out. As are Henderson''s chances - although he did have a successful run in the team two years ago - unsurprisingly he was scoring goals then and thus kept getting picked. These guys need to be hitting the back of the net regularly in the reserves, to be banging on Worthy''s door showing they are worth a start. England Youth appearances count for nothing for me. How many ex-England Youths fail to make it as pros? Hundreds. Should one of them get picked V Plymouth, to stay in the team, they have to score goals. Simple. Because if they don''t - they''ll be playing for Colchester/Southend etc very soon.

Poirot that all sounds very reasonable and logical until it occurred to me that you''re essentially saying that youngsters have got to come in and start bashing in the goals straight away but the senior pros can go for weeks without scoring and still expect to play - I think Mackenzie managed to go about half of last season before finally finding some form.

Dont you think that part of developing youngsters involves giving them some sort of run in the team? I may be wrong but I dont think Jarvis has ever been given anything that could be described as a run. I seem to remember that his reward for scoring a terrific goal against Liverpool was to be dropped for the next game.

Perhaps what you meant to say was that with Worthington in charge youngsters cant expect to be in the team unless they score hatricks every game. After all if they were any good they would, wouldnt they?

And finally perhaps you could just remind me about the ''good individuals we have in each position'' as far as midfield is concerned because I think most of us would be over the moon if we had anybody any good in there!