Sign in to follow this  
Indy

Stability might not come till 2020, Farke deserves a season of stability.

Given that we will get Jarvis & Naismith off wages next summer, then we’ll probably see the last three big earners go in Pinto, Klose and Oliveira, it’s probably not fair to judge Farke in his first two seasons.

It’s been a huge transition in finances and major upheaval in playing staff, which if we stay here will probably conclude next summer.

I’d love to see a settler young side we have actually stay here, build on Godfrey, Lewis, Emi, Thompson and like and not take money if we don’t need it.

Unlike some on here I actually think Farke is the best manager we’ve had in some time, given time a settled squad being built on I believe he’ll be successful, but he might not get the time he deserves due to ongoing pressures outside his control.

Patients is key to building, back to Worthington years, keep with this manager and give him time.

Personally, overall, I am happy with how things are going. Not bothered about perhaps being in the minority there. I like Farke a lot, and believe in what he’s trying to achieve, and I genuinely believe he will get there playing good entertaining football. I didn’t think it would happen in just one season and have been prepared for that as there has been a lot of work restructuring finances, playing staff, Colney etc etc, and I think this summer has shown further improvement on all of those fronts. I also think his style of football is far more suited to the Premier League as was evidenced by our 3 superb games without loss over 90 minutes against both Chelsea and Arsenal last season, so for me we have the right man in place for the future. I want stability and a long term manager. And I see positive steps being made on the pitch this season too, irrespective of the 2 or 3 individual errors at the weekend that were out of Farkes hands. I like this new continental modern direction we’re heading in. Neil Warnock might get us promoted immediately but he’d only bring meat and potato style football unsuited to the Premier League and it’d be almost certainly a massive season of disappointment (as I fully expect Cardiff fans to find out to their cost this season). I think Farke can take us back there over the next season or two, and if he does then I believe we’ll have a far better chance with him than with a Neil Warnock. I know very few will agree with me, and that’s fine, that’s what this board is for - to debate all aspects of the club we love - but it’s what I genuinely feel. Now looking forward to Stevenage and another Battle of Bramall Lane. We will win both. OTBC

A laudable approach, if I get what you are saying. But I would strongly take issue with not judging a coach on their first season or two. Football management is partly about building a team and playing culture, but also - especially in our split coach/FD set-up - about what you do with what you’ve got.

If you - unsuccessfully- play your squad a certain way on the basis of what the future should hold, or of what better/different players could carry off but not the ones you are actually working with, it is fair for people to make measured criticism of that.

I say if, because I’m still hopeful despite two very mixed performances & two quite disappointing results, that this season will prove to be less of the above scenario than the last was.

I am hoping that the retained players are better at the intended football after a year of coaching in it, that the newcomers are well suited to it, and that Farke adopts an appropriate level of the Championship pragmatism that may have been required sooner.

In other words, it’s ok to judge someone’s skills and results during their transitional period. To flip it round, if it was all clicking, we would all (well, most of us, I hope!) would be applauding DF and not reserving judgement

Isn’t Farke out of contract at the end of the season? There is a lot of presumption that he will be happy to extend that here.

Agree, but I do not think we’ll be anywhere near going up for a fair few seasons, given the budgets in place for a lot of clubs in this league this year and to come.

That’s why I believe our best option is to stick with a very good coach and agree his methods will in the end gain us entertaining football.

A few years of building is the only way forward, he’s certainly a great coach and theirs certainly a good spirit in the camp as shown the way they fought on Saturday.

But what if he isn''t actually a ''very good coach?''

He''s proved the square root of bugger all here- he certainly hasn''t earned the endless rope some want to give him.

He''s proved he''s good with young players and getting them to work hard and showing a clear route into the first team (the last bit isn''t just him). He proved that before he was with us, but it''s more pertinent having seen the rise of someone like Maddison (who is extremely complimentary of Farke both in and away from the camera).
But the reality is that won''t alone keep him in a job. I would personally give him next season so long as our performances etc have generally improved. I think it''s fair to say though that as a fanbase, if this forum is anything to go by, it''s only results that will make a difference and not performances (contrary to what was said last season mind but that was already contradicted by Alex Neil''s last season anyway! [:D]). There''s already threads with multiple people claiming ''nothing has changed'' from last season, where in actual fact both games so far have demonstrated massive personnel change, a structural change and even a style of play in terms of balance change too. But we will always have, the, uhhh....unique? fans on here who, and I had a post directed at me yesterday which said basically this "We lost so nothing changed".
That makes it evident to me that we will have to be in and around the top 6 / top 10 irrespective of improved performances for him to not suffer too much fan pressure.

But how can you say if performances improve! Improvement is subject to each persons view and expectations!

From what I saw this Saturday to the seven games I made last year it was a huge improvement with on paper lower class players, so for me it’s a big improvement on restricted criteria!

If you look around the likes of Forrest, etc, spending big, loaning big players who no doubt cost more in loan fees then we’ve spent.

This will only get worse next year as we finally complete the realignment of this club. So I wouldn’t say in my book Farke is under any pressure this season, other than to ensure championship safety and to grow our youngsters into the first team squad.

But that’s just my opinion, I’d give him and his back room team a couple more seasons to deliver a decent squad.

[quote user="Indy"]But how can you say if performances improve! Improvement is subject to each persons view and expectations!

From what I saw this Saturday to the seven games I made last year it was a huge improvement with on paper lower class players, so for me it’s a big improvement on restricted criteria!

If you look around the likes of Forrest, etc, spending big, loaning big players who no doubt cost more in loan fees then we’ve spent.

This will only get worse next year as we finally complete the realignment of this club. So I wouldn’t say in my book Farke is under any pressure this season, other than to ensure championship safety and to grow our youngsters into the first team squad.

But that’s just my opinion, I’d give him and his back room team a couple more seasons to deliver a decent squad.[/quote]
Well, quite. But there can often be a general consensus.

That’s true hogs, to certain degree my point too, fans should look at the overall picture and just how big the change has been in the past year and will continue this season.

I hope the fans will get behind Farke and allow him time to build, forget top 6 just aim for 50 points then anything more this year is a bonus.

Look to players like Lewis, Thompson, Godfrey to develop and judge him on our future potential as a benchmark on his performances.

That’s my view on him, I hope other will too.

Farke will be out on his ear at Christmas if we are bottom 6. Webber firmly believes in this squad , and would see any failure of the team to at least appear to have a chance of top 6 by the end of the year , to be the fault of Farke and the coaches.

What Farke deserves is irrelevant. He is a well paid employee , in a precarious, results based industry. He knows the score - he is most certainly not stupid.

If we do well this season and finish in the top six or very close to it, Farke will be looked at by other clubs to be a good proposition for being a head coach elsewhere, especially back in Germany, so whether he stays or not will depend on how far he wants to take our club and obviously any new contract would have to be attractive to him to keep the bigger fish in Germany away.  It probably won''t be a case of is wanting him to go, but whether we can persuade him to stay!
The only sure fire way of keeping him is if we get promoted.......

lake district canary wrote the following post at 13/08/2018 5:00 PM:

If we do well this season and finish in the top six or very close to it, Farke will be looked at by other clubs to be a good proposition for being a head coach elsewhere, especially back in Germany, so whether he stays or not will depend on how far he wants to take our club and obviously any new contract would have to be attractive to him to keep the bigger fish in Germany away. It probably won''t be a case of is wanting him to go, but whether we can persuade him to stay!

The only sure fire way of keeping him is if we get promoted.......

Like I said, he’s out of contract at the end of the season and may well get a better offer elsewhere. A lot of presumption going on that his stay here will

be extended as either party could choose to part ways after this season

"Best manager we''ve had in some time"

He''s certainly the best we''ve had since Alex Neil.

Like others have said i do not know what Farke has done to give him 3 seasons to get things right !

No other manager has been given this even ones with that have brought us success have been given less time

i will wait until 10 games then see where we are points wise i do not thing Farke is good enough and have said so from last season Fantastic development coach for younger players and i think would make a great assistant but not head coach / manager

Farke is everything you would expect the Canary Board to go for:

1. Doesn''t rock the boat

2. Cheap

3. Keeps buying midfielders

4. No defence

5. No cups

6. Soft underbelly

[quote user="norfolkngood"]Like others have said i do not know what Farke has done to give him 3 seasons to get things right !

No other manager has been given this even ones with that have brought us success have been given less time

i will wait until 10 games then see where we are points wise i do not thing Farke is good enough and have said so from last season Fantastic development coach for younger players and i think would make a great assistant but not head coach / manager[/quote]

And when those 10 games come, then what? You’ve already made up your mind as your post illustrates, no? I think the 10 game mark is a mythical point in the season, it doesn’t exist in terms of how he’s judged - those that don’t want him haven’t given it 10 games at all (this current season), their knives are already out after 2, thanks to a couple of players mistakes more than anything in our first game - that’s just crazy. As the attacking play and threat is clearly far better than last season. Despite all this, I *think* the vast majority of supporters are still optimistic that this is going to turn out to be a bright season for us all. We shall see 😉

"Given that we will get Jarvis & Naismith off wages next summer, then

we’ll probably see the last three big earners go in Pinto, Klose and

Oliveira, it’s probably not fair to judge Farke in his first two

seasons."
Quite what relevance the earnings of these five players have to Norwich''s performances and results this season, I fail to see.
Oliveira, with comfortably the worst goalscoring record of the four strikers on the books, is clearly an overrated irrelevance.
Pinto is clearly no longer a shoe-in and is a liability in a back-four.
Naismith will never kick a ball for Norwich City ever again.
Jarvis likewise, unless of course Farke decides to continue with the theme of turning Norwich into a Care Home for fading footballers way past their prime, exemplified by the current performances from players positioned through the spine of the team aka Krul, Klose, Hanley, Tettey and Rhodes.
Are Klose and Hanley such bad defenders that Farke has to set up with eight defensive-minded players to make them effective?
Results have clearly been disappointing so far, but for Norwich to have scored five goals in two matches without Maddison and Murphy, is a big plus, for which Farke deserves credit. The team are continuing to dominate possession over ninety minutes, and are certainly creating plenty of goal-scoring opportunities.
Success this season will be avoiding relegation with a more entertaining brand of football. It is pretty irrelevant whether Norwich finish 7th or 21st, promotion to the PL is now a pipe dream. The relegation of Swansea, Stoke and WBA has underlined the difficulty of establishing a club in the PL in this day and age. Norwich City''s opportunities have come and gone, their realistic ambition is now no higher than Ipswich''s, which is to establish themselves as a Championship club.
Farke would appear to be as qualified as any other manager to secure Norwich''s path to mediocrity.

Alex you have got me a bit wrong i do not think he is good enough i agree BUT if he proves me otherwise then i will give credit i always have

i agree the Attacking looks a lot better but the defence has gone to pieces

as i said 10 games we will see where we stand and see if we can turn than good attacking tighten up the defence and see if we can win some games

After that well if results are not good enough we will have to look into how long are we going to let this continue

my mind is not set in stone it is only my opinion that Farke is not good enough as yours is that he is the man for the job

like i said i will not mind admitting i am wrong i am not that type of poster

[quote user="king canary"]But what if he isn''t actually a ''very good coach?''

He''s proved the square root of bugger all here- he certainly hasn''t earned the endless rope some want to give him.[/quote]

He probably is a decent coach as Lewis and Madders prove but as manager he has to prove he can consistently win games... He makes some weird team selections and doesn''t seem able to change things when it''s not going right.

Not easy this one however, last year we couldn''t score enough goals and conceded too many... This year we''re scoring enough so hopefully things will improve OTBC

"unique "Quite what relevance the earnings of these five players have to Norwich''s performances and results this season, I fail to see."

I think the relevance is that if they weren''t being paid there would be an extra £150k per week (c £7.5m per year) that could be better used in playing personnel.

[quote user="Herman"]He changed it against Birmingham.[/quote]

Only because he had to due to his ridiculous team selection in the 1st place. But yes one of the few times he has...

Surely if you are happy with the current step up (financially, board...) then you have to accept Farke is the best we can afford. Also Webber called him the best coach in the league, so removing him because he is not, leaves the problem of the guy who made the appointment and then the board who thought Webber was the man....

I do not think Farke is a great manager of the team (he maybe a great coach) but pointless removing him.

And again last night by bringing on Hernandez and Pukki?

Admittedly, it was a game we were expecting to win, but bringing on a pacy winger and a goalscorer against a tiring team seems pretty good management/coaching to me.

I think we''re seeing Farke change it a bit more this season because we actually have some varied attacking options. We really lacked that last season.