Sign in to follow this  
Dicky

What to expect under Delia/Michael/Nephew Tom's ownership

I reckon they''ve invested half their wealth.

Don''t let them not being for sale bother you. Faint heart never won fair maiden. Make them an offer and I may even be in for a few quid.

well half is a lot if you are correct , if i had the wealth i would make them a offer i am sure most fans would !

of course i would buy yours first !! :-)

[quote user="norfolkngood"]the gains are the worth of their shares nutty

as for Percentage hard to say to be honest as i do not know exact worth

but if you can not afford to be a owner / major share holder you should maybe sell to someone who can[/quote]
So far Smith and Jones have in effect lost money by investing in Norwich City, since their loans were interest-free. If they had demanded interest, or invested outside, in property or whatever,  they would now almost certainly be richer. And they will only make money if they ever sell the shares, and for more money than they paid. If they carry out the plan to gift their shares to their nephew there will be never be any gains for them.

I do not think that the term "owning" relates well when talking about a football club.

All businesses have infrastructure, product, employees and customers but a football club has fans.

Fans are different from customers as such. Fans are born into the project, spread back generations and physically present themselves through thick and thin, rain and shine.

Fans are different and form as much of the body of any club as do owners and their employees. You would never get a forum such as this devoted to Gillette products, Starbucks coffee shops or Poundland. You won''t hear the the Go Compare jingle at cremations.

As a fan this is this reason why I am offended by Delia Smith''s unilateral decision to use the club as an hierloom, something to be passed down and within her own family.

The good and bad decisions of the Smith & Co. regime can be argued ad nauseum but at least they have been football decisions and about running the club.

I see the nephew Tom business as a family decision and probably not in the best interests of the club or it''s supporters.

For this reason it offends.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]

I see the nephew Tom business as a family decision and probably not in the best interests of the club or it''s supporters.

For this reason it offends.[/quote]
I just don''t get this.   So many people seem to think there is something wrong with the passing on of assets within a family - but it''s what practically every family in the world does.  
So what else could they do with the shares?  Well they could sell them - but would need a buyer - and therein lies a problem - who would buy them? Can you afford to buy them?  Could the fans get it together to buy them out? Can anyone manufacture a good investor to buy them out?
The other thing they could do is give them away - so who should they give them to?  
I don''t know why it''s so contentious - they have even brought Tom on the board to gain the experience he will need.   They don''t have kids, so who else are they going to pass the shares to?  
They are - in effect - going to do something quite normal - and we are told there will also be a trust that will safeguard the club from being sold off to speculators in the future.  What more does anybody want?
I know the answer to that, of course - people want money - well that would come at a cost - probably to the soul of the club.  That is worth protecting and although there are those who don''t understand that concept, look around at the clubs who have suffered from having an outside investor - yes there are good examples as well as bad, but it is a lottery - and even if you get a good investor once, it doesn''t mean the next one, or the next one to that will be so good. 
So in all truthfulness, the plan is normal, ethical, economically sound and will safeguard the club for the future.  What better solution is there? 

Firstly, how does it safeguard the club? Giving it to someone who, as far as I''m aware, hasn''t got much in the way of money doesn''t safeguard us at all. In the event of financial difficulties we''re in trouble.

As for what else could they do- here is an idea. Work with a fans group to sell 10/15% of their shares to them with a fan representative put on the board. This means nobody has overall control of the club, nephew Tom still gets a tidy inheritance and the fans get more of a stake in the team.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]I do not think that the term "owning" relates well when talking about a football club.

All businesses have infrastructure, product, employees and customers but a football club has fans.

Fans are different from customers as such. Fans are born into the project, spread back generations and physically present themselves through thick and thin, rain and shine.

Fans are different and form as much of the body of any club as do owners and their employees. You would never get a forum such as this devoted to Gillette products, Starbucks coffee shops or Poundland. You won''t hear the the Go Compare jingle at cremations.

As a fan this is this reason why I am offended by Delia Smith''s unilateral decision to use the club as an hierloom, something to be passed down and within her own family.

The good and bad decisions of the Smith & Co. regime can be argued ad nauseum but at least they have been football decisions and about running the club.

For this reason it offends.[/quote]
Broadstairs, it is not unknown for football clubs - or any kind of business - to be passed on within a family. Some of the biggest companies in the world, such as Wal-Mart, are like that. And the Agnelli family with Fiat - and Juventus. And any decision Smith and Jones take - even selling out to a shadowy Cambodian tea magnate - will be unilateral, since they are the owners.

"So many people seem to think there is something wrong with the passing on of assets within a family - but it''s what practically every family in the world does."

I thought that I had just explained just why I thought a football club was different. Perhaps I didn''t do it well enough, perhaps if I type it out in alternating yellow and green colours it would be easier to understand (sorry!)

Seriously, S & J have lot''''s of options as to the future of their shares when they finally decide to take a back seat. You cited a few.

My view is that they could ease themselves out of the scene by selling their shares gradually to whom they chose, but it is an approach which no doubt will be clouded by issues that might be beyond their choosing.

Selling them en-bloc might be even more difficult and risky ... in the view of many .... but could be the making of the club.

Perhaps ''Nephew Tom'' has it in mind to cash in in any case, or will there be strings attached to Delia''s apron?

"Broadstairs, it is not unknown for football clubs - or any kind of business - to be passed on within a family. Some of the biggest companies in the world, such as Wal-Mart, are like that. And the Agnelli family with Fiat - and Juventus. And any decision Smith and Jones take - even selling out to a shadowy Cambodian tea magnate - will be unilateral, since they are the owners."

Yes. I realise that which was why I emphasised the "fan" element and even in the past when football clubs have been passed on wealth has gone with it and not just shares.

In the Times.......

The husband and wife team will "never" sell their majority shareholding, which will pass to their nephew, Tom Smith, a director.......

The supporters will be very disappointed to hear that. But no way will we sell. We don’t even listen to any enquiries,” she said. “Our nephew, Tom, is now a board director. He’s 35. He’s a very good board director. He’s a very passionate Norwich City supporter and he will be the recipient of our shares.”........

That''s, the way it is......and how it''s gonna be......

There is passing assets in a family buy to be fair we are talking about nepotism Tom here.

He has no capabilities to be a director of a football club except the nepotism link.

At best nepotism is sleazy

[quote user="king canary"]Firstly, how does it safeguard the club? Giving it to someone who, as far as I''m aware, hasn''t got much in the way of money doesn''t safeguard us at all. In the event of financial difficulties we''re in trouble.

As for what else could they do- here is an idea. Work with a fans group to sell 10/15% of their shares to them with a fan representative put on the board. This means nobody has overall control of the club, nephew Tom still gets a tidy inheritance and the fans get more of a stake in the team.[/quote]
As I said, it safeguards the club from speculators. As for getting into financial diffculties - the club has been in financial difficulties most of it''s life - rarely have we been "well off" financially.  So to be sustainable in the long term is a good strategy. It doesn''t rely on a rich benefactor - it relies on income.  Yes, at some stage, some investment would be good - but getting the right kind of investment is the key because money in itself is not the answer.
As for a fan represntative - that has been shown to be a very difficult thing to do - and after all, at the end of the day DS/MJW/TS are all fans.......

The bottom line of all this is that in this day and age the Jones''s just haven''t got the financial clout to assume the dictatorship (yes absolute power) of a football club of the statue of Norwich City.

Their money which was needed once is but is now but a pittance when compared with the wealth surrounding most of our our immediate rivals and many others.

She/they is feeding off that time, two decades ago, when she became a big fish in a small pond due to a certain degree of financial muscle.

This stance has become that of an imposter because that small pond is becoming a small sea. If the quote above is correct then she is now assuming the role of one who has a right to put two fingers up to the fans.

This view is, imo, accurate but not really to be seen as a cry for ''Delia Out!'' just yet. I believe recent changes in direction are brave, could work and need be given time.

How much time is the moot point and I don''t buy into this continued second tier existence mantra that many are currently expecting.

Like everybody else involved in the upper echelons of professional football her/their survival will depend upon success.

Success and not some financial clout from a bygone age.

[quote user="Rick OShea "]There is passing assets in a family buy to be fair we are talking about nepotism Tom here.

He has no capabilities to be a director of a football club
except the nepotism link.

At best nepotism is sleazy[/quote]
He has two and a half years experience of being a director of a football club.

This time next year we will be really flying, after achieving automatic promotion we''ll be awaiting our first game back in the Premiership......We will look back at these kind of tedious threads and dour discussions, and howl with laughter and derision at those ''binneresque'' bozos and those whining wah wah dissenters of our great ''debt free'' self funding and well run community club.......Yes soiree!

Ooh looky out there, looky out there in that there bright blue sky......I''ve just seen a diamond formation of bright purple unicorns roar past, and they were farting glorious glittering rainbows.....Our very own Nephew Tom was sat astride and piloting the lead unicorn.....PAARP!....

Red Arrows?.....Eat your fuggin heart out!.......We''ve got Neppers Tom and his amazing purple unicorn formation rainbow farting display team!......

Onwards and upwards......and huzzah to our unicorns farting glorious glittering rainbows.....PAARP!.....

"Stature."

Statues are for Portman (well known site of historical interest) Road, along with the accompanied pigeon shite.

Capability is different from experience.

I have had three years experience with my "red" wood but am still incapable of keeping the ball on the fairway.

[quote user="TCCANARY"]
[quote user="Rick OShea "]There is passing assets in a family buy to be fair we are talking about nepotism Tom here.

[/quote]

Can you tell me what he has personally done for the club in those 2 seasons that help us tackle the issues of the future?

[quote user="Rick OShea "][quote user="TCCANARY"]

[/quote]

Can you tell me what he has personally done for the club in those 2 seasons that help us tackle the issues of the future?[/quote]
Well to start with, it was his initiative to get the canary bond scheme under way, so he has had a direct effect in raising money for Colney. That would seem a direct tackling of a very important issue for the future.......

Kingo, the vast manority of their shareholding was available for other fans to buy. But the other fans didn''t want them.

[quote user="Rick OShea "][quote user="TCCANARY"]

[/quote]

Can you tell me what he has personally done for the club in those 2 seasons that help us tackle the issues of the future?[/quote]
No, I don''t go to board meetings as I''m not a director.
In the last two years the board as a whole have put in place a new structure that will ensure the ''issues of the future'' can be managed.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Rick OShea "][quote user="TCCANARY"]

[/quote]

Well to start with, it was his initiative to get the canary bond scheme under way, so he has had a direct effect in raising money for Colney. That would seem a direct tackling of a very important issue for the future.......
[/quote]

You are not being serious are you ?

Honestly this is begging bowl finance not sustainable finance for a long term strategy

"Can you tell me what he has personally done for the club in those 2 seasons that help us tackle the issues of the future?"

He got his private pilot''s licence and is currently team leader of the purple unicorn farting glittering rainbow display team.....That''s some achievement in my streaming eyes.......Once NepoTominism is on the summer display circuit, all available money raised from these fine displays, will be pumped/farted back into the club coffers.......

Our club shops next season, will be stocking inflatable purple unicorns farting a glittering rainbow.....Trust me, they''ll be in heavy demand......and that''s just the fart of things to come from our future club benefactor!......GO TOM......GO!......(literally)......PAARP!

[quote user="Rick OShea "][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Rick OShea "][quote user="TCCANARY"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

You are not being serious are you ?

Honestly this is begging bowl finance not sustainable finance for a long term strategy[/quote]
It''s actually a good investment model that gives fans who invest something back, that also gives a long term legacy for the future of the club.  I realise of course you will never accept that, but it is worth putting the record straight.

I know you don''t get to many games LDC, maybe I can post and package an inflatable purple unicorn farting a glittering rainbow to you. So you can wave it about whilst you watch a stream of the games?......PAARP!.....I''ll also throw in a signed piccy of Neppers Tom in his flying suit?.....

Anyway LDC.......People find my posts most informative, reasonable, fair, stimulating, honest, positive and very level headed......I don''t court controversy or be outrageous and infantile.....

Take a leaf outta my book, you''ll go far......(and ditch that ridiculous hat with dangling corks, then maybe folk will take you more seriously).....

Just a kind word of advice, from ''Modest Mello''.......

Generally businesses like Norwich invest from a number of sources mainly shareholders and financial institutions

I know of now business that sustainably borrows from their Customers to provide them with a service unless they are a mutual organisation

NCFC is not a mutual.

This model I see clearly doomed to failure and we have scrapped through the bottom of the barrel