Sign in to follow this  
Dicky

What to expect under Delia/Michael/Nephew Tom's ownership

I have supported Norwich all of my life, have seen many changes since the days of Paddon, Sugget, Keelen, Forbes etc and used to get very upset at the sales of players such as Reeves, Fashanu, Sutton, Bellamy. Norwich are and always will be a selling club. Get that. Other clubs will have bigger budgets and be more attractive to the likes of Maddison.

What really bothers me though, is that in the past, players would come to us, have 3, 4, 5 good years and then we would sell them at a profit. Under our current regime, players such as Pritchard, Maddison and the Murphys are sold after a year. We are not able to hold on to any v. good players for any amount of time now.

Most fans still talk about us being a yo-yo club - sorry, but this is more likely to be League1-Champs rather than Champs-Prem nowadays. We are willingly selling our decent players and replacing them with lower league players (particularly German ones) who are, at best average. The longer this goes on, the less able we are to attract decent players or decent prospects.

Few weeks ago, was sitting next to Tony Bloom, the Brighton Chairman/Owner at a charity lunch and we spent an hour or so discussing football (obvs). His honest view (as a man who has put over £200million into Brighton) of Norwich''s prospects under Delia/MWJ''s ownership - football is changing very fast, we are not only failing to keep up, but are heading fast in the wrong direction. If we want a sniff of the Prem again, need some serious money coming into the club and show some ambition to attract good players/prospects.

[quote user="Dicky"]I have supported Norwich all of my life, have seen many changes since the days of Paddon, Sugget, Keelen, Forbes etc and used to get very upset at the sales of players such as Reeves, Fashanu, Sutton, Bellamy. Norwich are and always will be a selling club. Get that. Other clubs will have bigger budgets and be more attractive to the likes of Maddison.

What really bothers me though, is that in the past, players would come to us, have 3, 4, 5 good years and then we would sell them at a profit. Under our current regime, players such as Pritchard, Maddison and the Murphys are sold after a year. We are not able to hold on to any v. good players for any amount of time now.

Most fans still talk about us being a yo-yo club - sorry, but this is more likely to be League1-Champs rather than Champs-Prem nowadays. We are willingly selling our decent players and replacing them with lower league players (particularly German ones) who are, at best average. The longer this goes on, the less able we are to attract decent players or decent prospects.

Few weeks ago, was sitting next to Tony Bloom, the Brighton Chairman/Owner at a charity lunch and we spent an hour or so discussing football (obvs). His honest view (as a man who has put over £200million into Brighton) of Norwich''s prospects under Delia/MWJ''s ownership - football is changing very fast, we are not only failing to keep up, but are heading fast in the wrong direction. If we want a sniff of the Prem again, need some serious money coming into the club and show some ambition to attract good players/prospects.[/quote]

And this is the real world.....

Was interested to read the Times interview again over the weekend ...

Delia" We watched the whole collapse under (Robert Chase), all our players going one by one. It was terrible" - and it''s as bad now..

Will they sell "No" says Michael "we can''t on one hand (protest) that football''s being run from Dubai and Wall Street and then give into it " - so it''s their way or the highway

Delia "If more foreign players were restricted in some way, more English players would get games..." LOL!

Michael "When you''re fielding a club side without a single englishman, that''s a nonsense" - you seem to be trying son..

Michael "The Murphys will hopefully now be signing new contracts. The supporters love one of our own chant"

- gone...

None of the new "structure" works with those statements at all...

We''re all disappointed about the sales of some of our best players but Mike... Wow! You are really reaching with some of those quotes! How old are they?? Quite old.... We''re changing our philosophy with regards to how the club is run. So buying foreign players is less than getting in players from the British leagues (especially up and coming youngsters).The quote from MWJ was about ''The Murphy''s'' and is probably 2 or 3 years old. We had to sell them as we don''t have the money to reinvest and keep the club going without it.I realise you have some kind of agenda against the owners and that''s fine but my goodness it''s terribly boring reading the same old arguments. It''s also boring having to reply with pretty much the same kind of thing every time I read them (and it''s not just you).I do agree with the fact that we are going to get left behind if we don''t seek investment or get the owners to sell up. But I don''t think that is happening any time soon.I, like you, want my team to be dining at the top table. But we also have a numebr of fans who "would rather stay in the Championship" because there we might "win more games".These kinds of attitudes from fans, along with the lack of investment, also add to the reasons we are where we are.

Our busniness model isn’t emulated by many other top flight teams .Norwich are a Biggish club that so far has missed any opportunity to move to the next level .

The owners get a very easy ride from the supporters so it’s same old I’m afraid .

[quote user="Mike "]

And this is the real world.....

Was interested to read the Times interview again over the weekend ...

Delia" We watched the whole collapse under (Robert Chase), all our players going one by one. It was terrible" - and it''s as bad now..

Will they sell "No" says Michael "we can''t on one hand (protest) that football''s being run from Dubai and Wall Street and then give into it " - so it''s their way or the highway

Delia "If more foreign players were restricted in some way, more English players would get games..." LOL!

Michael "When you''re fielding a club side without a single englishman, that''s a nonsense" - you seem to be trying son..

Michael "The Murphys will hopefully now be signing new contracts. The supporters love one of our own chant"

- gone...

None of the new "structure" works with those statements at all...[/quote]
[Y]

[quote user="Dicky"]Few weeks ago, was sitting next to Tony Bloom, the Brighton Chairman/Owner at a charity lunch and we spent an hour or so discussing football (obvs). His honest view (as a man who has put over £200million into Brighton) of Norwich''s prospects under Delia/MWJ''s ownership - football is changing very fast, we are not only failing to keep up, but are heading fast in the wrong direction. If we want a sniff of the Prem again, need some serious money coming into the club and show some ambition to attract good players/prospects.[/quote]
Of course the Brighton chairman is going to say that.  It''s easy to

say when you have the money.  We are doing it from a different stand

point - and those that are doing it from having wealth, or think that

money is the answer, cannot understand it. 
Times

may be changing - and football may well be changing, but what so many

people seem to miss is that getting the footballing philosophy right is

the main thing.  What is happening at Norwich is exciting - it is going

down a route that other clubs will see and will follow - get your self

financially secure, build from the youth team upwards and by getting a

good reputation for developing players, so attracting young players from

elsewhere.  PL clubs will be happy to send us loan players because they

know they will get excellent experience and coaching - or maybe people

think Reed was coached badly last season. Reed - and Maddison for that

matter - have had nothing but praise for Farke. 
Money

can help but it is not a guarantee of success - getting the right

coaching, the right philosophy, the right mix of players is just as - if

not more - important than money.    I know it flies in the face of

common sense to say that, but many clubs have lots of money - but many

of those clubs are not going to have the right philosophy or the right

players or the right manager to get to the PL and stay there. 
I get it. Money buys good players - but it does not buy you success - that comes from the club being set up right.  There are many eays to get success in life - money is one of them, but it is not the only way.

[quote user="lake district canary"]
[quote user="Dicky"]Few weeks ago, was sitting next to Tony Bloom, the Brighton Chairman/Owner at a charity lunch and we spent an hour or so discussing football (obvs). His honest view (as a man who has put over £200million into Brighton) of Norwich''s prospects under Delia/MWJ''s ownership - football is changing very fast, we are not only failing to keep up, but are heading fast in the wrong direction. If we want a sniff of the Prem again, need some serious money coming into the club and show some ambition to attract good players/prospects.[/quote]
Of course the Brighton chairman is going to say that.  It''s easy to

say when you have the money.  We are doing it from a different stand

point - and those that are doing it from having wealth, or think that

money is the answer, cannot understand it. 
Times

may be changing - and football may well be changing, but what so many

people seem to miss is that getting the footballing philosophy right is

the main thing.  What is happening at Norwich is exciting - it is going

down a route that other clubs will see and will follow - get your self

financially secure, build from the youth team upwards and by getting a

good reputation for developing players, so attracting young players from

elsewhere.  PL clubs will be happy to send us loan players because they

know they will get excellent experience and coaching - or maybe people

think Reed was coached badly last season. Reed - and Maddison for that

matter - have had nothing but praise for Farke. 
Money

can help but it is not a guarantee of success - getting the right

coaching, the right philosophy, the right mix of players is just as - if

not more - important than money.    I know it flies in the face of

common sense to say that, but many clubs have lots of money - but many

of those clubs are not going to have the right philosophy or the right

players or the right manager to get to the PL and stay there. 
I get it. Money buys good players - but it does not buy you success - that comes from the club being set up right.  There are many eays to get success in life - money is one of them, but it is not the only way.
[/quote]

So we didn’t need to get our hands in our pockets to fund the Colney rebuild that is key to all of what you have put above? You need money for everything in football and as much as Delia avoids it, the owners need to chip in

Can''t understand the logic.

Maddison was our best player and he wasn''t expensive

He has been a Norwich player for over 2years and the Murphys had been here ages.

Investment has to be continuous and consistent to be long term effective. We have suffered for 2 seasons because of a mini period of wasteful spending.

Brighton will end up in a situation like Villa, so will many other clubs

"We are getting left behind"...total and utter hogwash.
I dont give a hoot what the majority of other clubs are doing or what investment they get, including Brighton. End of the day its what the 11 guys on the pitch do that determines where we are.
Financially?..we are in a much more healthy state than the debacle of a decade ago, absolutely Delia and Michael were stung by those times and will not ever allow that to happen again.
Competitively?..there is no reason why we cannot get into the Prem again, be it in a year, 5 or 10 years. Lambert took a group of players who had virtually no Prem experience from L1 to the Prem and kept us there. It can be done again from where we are.
Fans talk of us cutting the cloth. I see we are in for Ben Marshall at Wolves, as are Millwall, who will have to break their transfer fee record to sign him, which stands at 800k set way back in 1989. They finished 8th last year on finances way smaller than we have right now.
Yes it is a reasonable argument that it gets no easier as more clubs get richer (do they or do their owners?) but its still very much feasible to get into the Prem, and more importantly, while Delia and hopefully her nephew in the future, are around, then this club will still not only survive, but thrive, and believe me, its thriving still, and thats not just about finances.
  • Like 1

What a stupid post Essjayess.
The best we can hope for is an application to join the Scottish second tier where we will be at our financial level. Just.

Any numbers on season ticket sales?

Structure is important but good players within that structure is what gets you promoted. Can not have one or the other.. unfortunately you need to spend to be competitive in this league.

We are not buying the quality needed.

[quote user="hogesar"]What a stupid post Essjayess.
The best we can hope for is an application to join the Scottish second tier where we will be at our financial level. Just.
[/quote]
The Scottish second tier? You''ll be lucky.
We''ll end up waiting for an invite to join in with the under twelves at the local park and if Johnny Watsons mum doesn''t call him in for his tea we''ll be able to avoid an unecessary outlay for a ball.
Supporters today, don''t know they''re born.

[quote user="TCCANARY"][quote user="hogesar"]What a stupid post Essjayess.
[/quote]
The Scottish second tier? You''ll be lucky.
We''ll end up waiting for an invite to join in with the under twelves at the local park and if Johnny Watsons mum doesn''t call him in for his tea we''ll be able to avoid an unecessary outlay for a ball.
Supporters today, don''t know they''re born.
[/quote]
They don''t call me a happy-clapper on here for nothing, i''ll have you know [:D]

" Norwich are and always will be a selling club."
Every club is a selling club.
Players move on due to their abilities, that is reality.
Not your vacuous cliche
Clubs finances also change. Tell City fans a few years back that we would be taking some of Leeds better players and they would have laughed.
Or Bournemouth being able to outspend the original bank of England club (Sunderland).
If Bale leaves Madrid will that not be selling ?

[quote user="Essjayess"]
"We are getting left behind"...total and utter hogwash.
I dont give a hoot what the majority of other clubs are doing or what investment they get, including Brighton. End of the day its what the 11 guys on the pitch do that determines where we are.
Financially?..we are in a much more healthy state than the debacle of a decade ago, absolutely Delia and Michael were stung by those times and will not ever allow that to happen again.
Competitively?..there is no reason why we cannot get into the Prem again, be it in a year, 5 or 10 years. Lambert took a group of players who had virtually no Prem experience from L1 to the Prem and kept us there. It can be done again from where we are.
Fans talk of us cutting the cloth. I see we are in for Ben Marshall at Wolves, as are Millwall, who will have to break their transfer fee record to sign him, which stands at 800k set way back in 1989. They finished 8th last year on finances way smaller than we have right now.
Yes it is a reasonable argument that it gets no easier as more clubs get richer (do they or do their owners?) but its still very much feasible to get into the Prem, and more importantly, while Delia and hopefully her nephew in the future, are around, then this club will still not only survive, but thrive, and believe me, its thriving still, and thats not just about finances.
[/quote]

We are getting left behind - it''s indisputable. The longer is carries on, the further adrift we are getting. Attendances will drop, income will drop, we will struggle further to get any players of any worth (or potential). Sad to see it happen to the club.

[quote user="Mr Benn"]
Not your vacuous cliche
Clubs finances also change. Tell City fans a few years back that we would be taking some of Leeds better players and they would have laughed.
Or Bournemouth being able to outspend the original bank of England club (Sunderland).
[/quote]

Vacuous cliche - have you listened to yourself. We are selling our best players to Cardiff, Huddersfield, Leicester. They have moved with it, we haven''t. If you are happy to see Nephew Tom take over and become a "family club" in the lower leagues rather than fulfill our potential, then that''s your perogative. I want my team to aim for a bit better than that.

Have you thought of walking around the city centre with a sandwich board ?
The End is Nigh

[quote user="Dicky"][quote user="Mr Benn"]
Not your vacuous cliche
[/quote]

Vacuous cliche - have you listened to yourself. We are selling our best players to Cardiff, Huddersfield, Leicester. They have moved with it, we haven''t. If you are happy to see Nephew Tom take over and become a "family club" in the lower leagues rather than fulfill our potential, then that''s your perogative. I want my team to aim for a bit better than that.[/quote]
What about Swansea and West Brom and Stoke, they were all examples this time last year...

as presposterous as scotland qualifying for a major tournament hey Wavey? As stagnant as the team from your side of the border.

Even the Irish and Welsh have managed that recently.

[quote user="WaveneyCanary"]League 1 and administration within 2 years

What they are proposing is utter madness[/quote]
Agreed. In the history of football has there ever been worse owners than Smith and Jones? I keep trying to think of just one or two examples of worse ownership but I don''t think it exists.

I suspect it some unlikely that we shall exchange places with KL in the timescale you suggest H. That we are heading southwards at an increasing rate of momentum I wouldn’t wish to disagree.

I personally expect and think we''ll be superb and also a fluent footballing force to be reckoned with.....We will achieve automatic promotion and be crowned Champions!......

Not bad skills eh? As I actually typed this with my nose, as my strait jacket is tight and my Wi-Fi signal is quite weak, due to the excessive internal padding on my cell......
  • Haha 1

[quote user="Highland Canary"]I suspect it some unlikely that we shall exchange places with KL in the timescale you suggest H. That we are heading southwards at an increasing rate of momentum I wouldn’t wish to disagree.[/quote]
16/17 8th
17/18 14th
The trend is ominous, definitely an increasing rate of momentum. [:D]

Watch what Stoke are spending this summer to maximise an immediate return . Of course it’s not just about money to get out of the Championship but it certainly helps if you back the manager .

[quote user="Dicky"]

Few weeks ago, was sitting next to Tony Bloom, the Brighton Chairman/Owner at a charity lunch and we spent an hour or so discussing football (obvs). His honest view (as a man who has put over £200million into Brighton) of Norwich''s prospects under Delia/MWJ''s ownership - football is changing very fast, we are not only failing to keep up, but are heading fast in the wrong direction. If we want a sniff of the Prem again, need some serious money coming into the club and show some ambition to attract good players/prospects.[/quote]
And in just the last two seasons Tony Bloom''s Brighton have made losses totalling £65m, which may well be more than the entire losses made by Norwich City in their more than 100 years as a football club.