Sign in to follow this  
nutty nigel

Do we have another Jamal?

23 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Yeah, I didn’t see it coming. Like many others. 

His ascent from not making a first team squad to being an ever present is incredible, and pretty unusual for a young player - who will often drop in and out and rotate from the bench for a while. Like Todd Cantwell has done. 

People who call others out for their incorrect predictions completely in hindsight and having offered no view of their own at the time though...

Oh dear...

Given the club's very public pursuit of Tyronne Ebuehi twelve months ago and strong links to Hidde Ter Avest in the summer, as well as signing Felix Passlack on loan, I doubt the club foresaw Max's rapid rise either (and that's completely ignoring both Ivo Pinto and Ben Marshall).

6 hours ago, westcoastcanary said:

But you still get bored too easily nutty! 😉 :classic_biggrin:

I did get bored in the autumn of 2017 but saw progress after Christmas and the boredom went away...

19 minutes ago, Icecream Snow said:

Given the club's very public pursuit of Tyronne Ebuehi twelve months ago and strong links to Hidde Ter Avest in the summer, as well as signing Felix Passlack on loan, I doubt the club foresaw Max's rapid rise either (and that's completely ignoring both Ivo Pinto and Ben Marshall).

And that's the difference between Webber/Farke and most other clubs. They are proactive to developing situations and don't feel obliged to play their own signings over youth. Marshall and Hanley being prime examples. It's refreshing and will make promising youngsters really want to sign for us in the future.

24 minutes ago, Icecream Snow said:

Yeah, it is an interesting one. Aarons himself said last night that he hoped to make his debut this season and playing so many games is well beyond what he imagined for the season. 

Youth development is hard and players will develop in non-linear ways. They will have sudden spikes of improvement, which is appears happened with Max over the summer. 

Norwich bringing in Passlack is a definite sign they weren’t expecting Aarons to provide as much this season as he has done. 

On a slight tangent, on the Skysports commentary of Saturday's game against QPR they said that Pukki was third on our list for our second striker in the summer. God knows who would have been in front of him (though we were linked with Marvin Ducksch) 

6 minutes ago, Icecream Snow said:

On a slight tangent, on the Skysports commentary of Saturday's game against QPR they said that Pukki was third on our list for our second striker in the summer. God knows who would have been in front of him (though we were linked with Marvin Ducksch) 

Not sure how true that is. Norwich were tracking him at Brondby for a long time. Webber spoke of going to speak to him three times before the contract was signed. It is true that he wasn’t the player intended to be main goal scorer and play as ‘Norwich’s No. 9’. 

1 minute ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Not sure how true that is. Norwich were tracking him at Brondby for a long time. Webber spoke of going to speak to him three times before the contract was signed. It is true that he wasn’t the player intended to be main goal scorer and play as ‘Norwich’s No. 9’. 

As with my post above  -Jordan Rhodes can be added to Marshall and Hanley.

No favourites, just proactive to developing situations.

6 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

As with my post above  -Jordan Rhodes can be added to Marshall and Hanley.

No favourites, just proactive to developing situations.

Couldn’t agree more. Goes back to Franke. If a player isn’t good enough or someone else is doing better they go out of the team. A big strength of the Director of Football model. Farke not judged on signings, so doesn’t feel the need to prioritise ‘his’ players over others. 

• Like 1

Just now, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Couldn’t agree more. Goes back to Franke. If a player isn’t good enough or someone else is doing better they go out of the team. A big strength of the Director of Football model. Farke not judged on signings, so doesn’t feel the need to prioritise ‘his’ players over others. 

Yes and Franke. 

Loyalty to signings could have scuppered our whole season.