Sign in to follow this  
nutty nigel

Do we have another Jamal?

This time last summer no one was talking about Jamal Lewis but when the players returned it was clear that Farke rated him extremely highly and if he hadn''t been injured Jamal would probably have started the season at left back.

Have we got a similar talent ready to step up this summer? Could Max Aarons be cover for right back? Would this be a year to soon for Adam Idah to be one of our striker options? Or what about Tristan Abrahams and Pierre Fonkeau, do either have a future?

We know about Cantwell and Godfrey. I fully expect both to play a part.

Nobody was expecting Jamal last summer. I was just wondering if there were any similar surprises possible this summer.

Oxborough is an interesting one.

I doubt anyone will go from being completely out of the picture to first team starter quite like Jamal Lewis did. His ascent was due to Farke coming in and identifying him when others hadn’t previously - you’d imagine if there was anyone else of that level in the U23s then Farke would have also identified them by now.

Having said that I do think we will see Max Arrons make his debut this season (unless he is sent out on a season long loan of course).

Max is the one I think is most likely Beth. Farke saw enough in him to give him a three year contract. Will be interesting to see what he does preseason.

Adam Idah is clearly rated highly and I also think the lad Thorvaldson (sp?) has a bright future. So hard to tell when you see them against their own age group but both physically dominated their opponents when I saw them and looked to have real quality.

Time will tell of course and I suppose it’s always unlikely that more than one or two will roll off the production line in any given year but I’m relatively optimistic...

[quote user="Iwans Big Toe"]
Just had a look through the youth teams.
There are no more Jamals. We do have a Bilal though.
welease Wemi
[/quote]

Bilal Kamal looks promising as does Anthony Spyrou. Its difficult to tell at this stage.

Jamal is one of the few players to establish himself without going out on loan.

You could tell from pre season that Lewis was clearly in the first team plans. I guess we''ll know a bit more about Aaron''s chances after the first couple of friendlies.

Only pre season can tell us where we are with some of these guys. I fully expect Remi, Cantwell and Godfrey will all be in the first team squad though given how light we are in their positions. I expect Thompson will possibly get a chance too if he can prove his fitness

[quote user="AJ"]Only pre season can tell us where we are with some of these guys. I fully expect Remi, Cantwell and Godfrey will all be in the first team squad though given how light we are in their positions. I expect Thompson will possibly get a chance too if he can prove his fitness[/quote]
I would expect him to go out on loan first so as to get some games under his belt, sat around on the bench may not be the best after a long lay off
But it does highlight the number of promising younger players who are coming through

where would that leave Herr Passback ?
if Max is up to it then better he is either first choice of out on loan
but it does highlight the way the club is getting this idea right
the correct coaching to develop players that is only now beginning the bear fruit

I think Aarons is impressing the coach and has a very good chance of featuring this season if needed. Good thing that he''s getting his chances and seems to be grabbing them atm.

Maybe it''s a little too soon for Idah...

Given the significant amount of cover in both full back position Max will do well to get many apperences. Passlack, Pinto and Marshall on the right, Lewis, Husband and Stiepermann on the left.

A loan would probably be the best thing for him.

Maybe King Canary, although even with two in each position it would mean Aarons would still be unlikely to get significant minutes - especially on his favour side where there are two new signings.

I’d loan him out and hope he impresses like Godfrey has and then be ready to become first choice next season after Passlack returns to Dortmund.

Last season Lewis beat out 2 new signings to make the left back position his own. If Aarons is close to the first team level then I''d only loan him out if Pinto isn''t sold.

Hopefully we have a few break through and we then have time to build a side around them, before they are sold.

Or was Husband signed to deputise for Lewis? Jamal was first choice as soon as he was fit, which doesn’t suggest he was ever behind Husband or Stipermann (who I think was signed to cover a variety of positions).

Two full backs on either side is plenty. If Norwich want young players to progress they need minutes, for Aarons to get minutes he’ll probably have to go on loan. Norwich were happy to loan out Godfrey and Morris when there was less cover in their positions.

He may be kept about for the homegrown/club grown quota, but that seems harsh on him and damaging to his development.

The lad has done nothing wrong so far whereas Pinto has so I think he might deserve a start in his place although he would be on his wrong side.

[quote user="keelansgrandad"]The lad has done nothing wrong so far whereas Pinto has so I think he might deserve a start in his place although he would be on his wrong side.[/quote]

I think Max Aarons is actually a right back normally? pretty impressive that he at 18 has been good on the left.