Sign in to follow this  
shefcanary

Football Lads Alliance

Iwan’s Big Toe

I wouldnt say ‘views that marginally right of centre’ are called far right extremism and are shouted down. When you consider most of the major newspapers in the UK are all right of centre and we haven’t had a government left of the centre since the 70s. The general discourse in the UK is right of centre.

What is protested and opposed (quite rightly) are voices that promote hatred, division, victimisation or are just plain lies. It is impossible to say in this age of mass communication, is that no one has freedom of speech. Literally anyone can get on the internet and say whatever they want with increasingly little recourse. The far right trying to rebrand what is ‘freedom of speech’ from hatred is a distressing trend at the moment. I don’t think we have seen the vile views of some people as well represented for a very long time.

Also, there is a weird situation where people like Corbyn are being discribed as ‘far left’ when the polices he promotes are not that extreme in a political sense.

@Bethnal

Corbyn is pretty far left to be honest- his policies these days aren''t due to being restrained by the more central part of the Labour party but he himself has always espoused some pretty far left ideas.

The most ridiculous thing was the ''Red Ed'' panic that the press tried to stir up. Milliband was at best center left but the papers blew their load on him basically being a communist.

There is a part of the more extreme left that wants to paint anyone outside of their sphere as being right wing but it is the same on the other side.

Corbyn is certainly left wing, no doubt, but no more so than Callaghan was and probably less left wing than Foot.

Corbyn was certainly more extreme in the past but his current policies are basically Keynsian - which no one would describe as ‘far left’.

For me, political discussion seems to have died. People argue rather than discuss policies and everyone takes a tribal attitude. It is sad though that far right views seem to becoming normalised and people feel they should be given a platform to spout hatred.

Yes political discourse is very much broken. People are so entrenched in their views. You can tell your not going to get good debate from someone if they start using phrases like remoaner, libtard, snowflake, etc etc.

The #freetommyrobinson stuff does just show how uninformed people are though. He was on a suspended sentence, knowingly broke the law and got arrested. Yet some seem to think he''d been arrested for trying to speak freely.

I spent last weekend in London for the purpose of seeing my son and his regiment, the Coldstream Guards, trooping their colour around Horse Guards Parade.

Beautiful weather, Mr & Mrs KG trimmed up in whistle and fruit and best frock and the magnificent splendour of Queens Guards, Kings Troop and Household Cavalry treating us to some precise marching and riding.

Afterwards, we went straight to the nearest pub in Whitehall to celebrate a wonderful morning.

However it was ruined. Making a loud noise as their pretense to freedom of speech were the Free Tommy Robinson brigade. Not only noisy but no doubt getting tanked up in a pub so that their bravado could become intolerance.

And they had the gall to send out a young Mister Blobby to hand out pamphlets, deliberately provoking any coloured, Asian or Black people he could by waving leaflets in their faces.

And the police stood by watching, thus adding to the rumours that certainly the Met is a racist right wing organisation.

Their has always been a section of football that is racist and intolerant. It is now up to the clubs to ensure that while these people are inside their grounds, they will not spoil the day for those there purely for the football.

And outside the ground, it is up to the police to ensure these people don''t antagonise others going about their business.

Hopefully now that Meighan has stood down, the FLA will just become a memory.

Sorry, I don''t have any fruit that whistles.

I meant whistling flute and now wish I had saved any embarrassment by being a cockney wannabe by just saying suit.

"And the police stood by watching, thus adding to the rumours that certainly the Met is a racist right wing organisation."

The met are in a tough position with this sort of thing. Ignore those people and they give the impression of being racist, arrest them and they become the ''PC police'' cracking down on freedom of speech.

You''d have to ask KG who was there.

However Tommy Robinson definitely did break the law and it didn''t stop his moron supporters saying it was all a conspiracy.

Indeed.

The law is the standard. Suggesting the police create grey areas through fear of giving the impression they are racist, or cracking down on freedom of speech, is over complicating the fact that it''s their duty to uphold the law.

And the award for rightwing drama queen
goes to ...........................
Nobby Head
ps don''t laugh, please

That wasn''t what I was suggesting.

I was saying that the police have a tough job because even in applying the law there will be people on either side of the political spectrum that will find fault.

Sorry Kingo. I misunderstood then.

But I still don''t think it makes their job tougher. Any criticism would be unfounded if they were upholding the law.

[quote user="Rock The Boat"]The police can arrest you on suspicion that you might be about to break some laws.[/quote]
These day, you can get arrested for saying you''re English.
[url]https://youtu.be/XkCBhKs4faI[/url]

While I despise Robinson and his cronies, I also think the police hide behind excuses for allowing people like Choudray to be able to preach his hatred for so long on street corners.

The police have any amount of laws to invoke when incidents happen.

Of course what is remarkable is that the Robinson demo was taking place on the same weekend as the 100th anniversary of universal suffrage in the UK. And while many of the Robinson brigade are women, they should have reflected on which demo would have been more appropriate.

[quote user="Mr Benn"]

And the award for rightwing drama queen
goes to ...........................
Nobby Head
ps don''t laugh, please
[/quote]
Sorry Mr Benn, I laughed. What a f**ing c0(k. I sincerely hope someone gave him the kicking he earned.

[quote user="yellowrider120"]Morning Kick it Off!

Wow - what can I say! In fact Kick it Off I will no longer post anything on this particular thread as the topic has been thrashed to death and it''s now a hot political potato!

I would now much prefer to get back to the real purpose of this forum which is footballing matters re NCFC and I''m sure you would as well?

That said it''s good to see you backing my views on those BBC documentaries and I am in 100% admiration for the bravery that your family displayed at the appalling treatment dished out by the Nazis.

I''m also pleased that you watched the Lewisham video and (based on that) that you disagreed with the actions of the protestors.

Of course I''m not ''admitting defeat'' in our political sparring and I very much hope you will accept a very sincere and generous offer I will make to you later today by way of private message. TTFN.[/quote]
No foul no harm, you asked my opinion and I''m happy to give it (as always! Probably one of my bigger flaws!). There''s no defeat to be admitted in my book, just an exchange of opinions. All quiet on the offer front (but just to pre-empt it, if it''s anything to do with attending an FLA event, I''m not interested [;)] [:D]

[quote user="Herman"]
[quote user="Rock The Boat"]The police can arrest you on suspicion that you might be about to break some laws.[/quote]
[/quote]
So what do you reckon, Herman. Should the police uphold the law for everybody the same or give special passess for certain groups? Like if you wanted to pray in the Royal Parks, even though it is not allowed.

[quote user="Rock The Boat"][quote user="Herman"]
[/quote]
So what do you reckon, Herman. Should the police uphold the law for everybody the same or give special passess for certain groups? Like if you wanted to pray in the Royal Parks, even though it is not allowed.
[/quote]
I think we should have an "Ask Tilly" section.

[quote user="Herman"]
[/quote]
I must be missing someething, because that seemed like Stewart Lee just said the same thing over and over again for 4 minutes hoping that at some point he''d get a bigger laugh.
If that''s comedy, Waveney needs to try the Fringe next year as his Messiah shtick will go down a treat.
[:^)]

That''s his schtick Iwan. Also see his routines on Hopkins and the Ukips. The one on Rod Liddle, where he pretends to eat a bag of crisps for 5 minutes, will drive you mad.

"Rock The Boat"

I think the police are allowed to use their discretion. If their actions are likely to cause more civil strife then they can stand down even if it seems unfair to others.

"Re that link you sent to that FLA guy getting arrested, I agree he was /

is a total plonker. So was the fat bald guy earlier in the clip trying

to give a series of Nazi salutes. Knob Head! It''s people like these that

give those with genuine concerns (like me) a bad name / image."
yes it''s that 99% that give the other 1% a bad name

[quote user="Mr Benn"]
yes it''s that 99% that give the other 1% a bad name
[/quote]
That is a wild assumption from somebody who accuses people of making stuff up.