Sign in to follow this  
Pete Raven

New forum software - what would you like to see?

I''m currently playing around with some new potential forum software (no, really) and would like to know what you want it to include.
On the list so far I have:
Ability to edit posts.
Ability to add links and images that actually work.
A responsive messageboard.
More robust registration system.
Easier moderation system (this one''s for me).
It looks like we should be able to transfer all posts over but if not is this a huge issue?
We might also be able to transfer user accounts over too - all you would have to do is reset your password.
We''ll probably ditch the sub-sections too.
Any suggestions please let me know.

The layout of the forum is excellent and one of the best I''ve visited, a credit to the original designer.

The lack of an edit button is the main drawback.

Is it only me-I''d love to have to not click on the "I Accept" button half a dozen times or so everytime I visit these pages!
But Edit and Ignore options would be great.

Ads are important but massive wrap around banners are a nuisance. So less intrusive ones would be a benefit to both sides.

Ignore button. In fact, could profiles be set up by default to ignore Waveney’s posts?

An upvote/downvote system is popular on a lot of forums and seems to work well. Doesn’t mean too much but for example a +8 next to a post would indicate 8 people have agreed or liked your reply (or initial post)

On reddit I think they take it a step further and if a reply hits a high enough negative number the content of the reply will actually be hidden (although there will be an option that reads along the lines of - “reply hidden due to low score - click to view”

The ability to change usernames should be hit on the head and one user per email/IP address only.
I know some can work round that but it will cut down some duplicate users.

On threads that run to several pages (this certainly applies to the Brexit thread, although I suspect SDP might be happy to see that disappear!) if you go to the end and then want to go back a few pages, after the initial jump back of a few pages you can then only go back two pages at a time. Longer leaps back would be useful sometimes. Not the greatest bugbear, but occasionally annoying.

Voting posts?

Like / Dislike button?

Should posts be shut down for commenting after a certain amount of time? At SDP''s discretion?

Search option?

I like the look and feel of the site currently. We should be presented with a beta test forum so we can give feedback on anything you come up with.

Agree with Purple, need to be able to select a page number to go back on long threads. I''ve seen it work on other forums.

Agree with what you''ve said, the up/down vote thing would be nice to see. An ignore button, whilst good in theory would stifle debate slightly.

Fully agree with getting rid of the subsections, however, it would be good to have the option to categorise a post and then filter the board so you only see what you''re interested in, that could be as simple as football and non-football, but would be nice to have some other categories as well like entertainment, politics, non-ncfc, other sport.

That’s great!

Full compatibility with browsers/platforms - including IE, Firefox, Safari - on both PC and mobile

‘Like post’ button

Hover over thread title = see first lines of OP

‘New posts’ (from all forum sections) page

‘See your (& other members’) content’

Quickly quote link to a specific post

The first three above are really good to have.

I highly recommend checking out www.speakev.com for an exemplary design contains all the above and more. Some features may require logging in.

Good luck

Imo the layout of this forum is one of the best there is, so if you could keep a similar look to the forum, that would be very good.
The only issue is the quote facility which doesn''t work well on some browsers.  Other than that there is not a lot needed.  Maybe an edit button, but not a lot else.
I think it would be a shame if the history of the posts was lost, so transporting them across would be good - if that not possible, maybe an archive set up (or keep this site accessible) where old posts could be looked at easily. 

Potentially amazing news!

Most things have already been covered, the main things for me are a more robust system with better reliability, an edit feature, and fully working links and quotes.

Anything else is a bonus, although I''m sure keeping the same user accounts and existing posts would be helpful if possible

1) An edit button must be a top want for everybody2) Incorporate the page numbers list at the top of the thread as well as at the bottom. Hardly a dealbreaker but saves trawling down a whole page.3) Try to winkle out multiple accounts/ID''s ( except possibly Waveney '' cos he''s a legend )4) The EU thread has become the '' Mousetrap '' of  this board and it''ll be a crying shame if it can''t be carried across. I think the powers that be should do all they can to preserve this iconic masterpiece until all current posters are either dead or gone '' ga-ga '' and been shunted into in a care home.5) If adverts are what keeps the board afloat then fair enough but can they move around a bit less please. Not good for motion sickness.

[quote user="Sports Desk Pete"]The quote facility works - there''s even an option to multi-quote.[/quote]Can I quote you on that?Sent from Windows 7 PC, browser: Firefox

[quote user="Sports Desk Pete"]The quote facility works - there''s even an option to multi-quote.[/quote]

Can I quote you on that?

Sent from IPhone SE, browser: Safari