Sign in to follow this  
Jezzard

Why is anyone impressed with Webber and Farke?

The season is over, we’re 13th, 9 points off (only) the play offs and it’s mid-January. Webber has been very good at saying we’ve got no money and we need four transfer windows but this doesn’t wash. Having no money is problematic when in most cases it goes with having a very weak squad. This is not the case – we have one on the best squads in the championship (don’t tell me Bristol City, Cardiff, Sheffield Utd., Brentford are stronger); each transfer window it will get weaker and weaker. The ‘rebuild’ is a fallacy – next year no Maddison, no Oliveira, no Klose, no Pinto – how will we have a chance of anything other than mid-table? This season was our best chance of promotion, indeed automatic promotion in the next 5 or 10 years, and Farke has wasted it.

Last season Neil failed (but saved us before and is doing well with Preston), but we were the top scorers and every 3 matches or so we absolutely wiped the floor with teams. And when Alan Irvine came in, we were mainly excellent. We’re hardly weaker than last season (pre-transfer window, when if we''d been performing adequately we may have kept Pritchard) Murphy, Howson but Gunn, Hanley and Maddison. Unfortunately we have a second rate, reserve manager in charge. On the whole the Bundesliga signings have been woeful – we waste half a season playing with ten men (Vrancic being the 11th), and playing the strongest team in ALL cup games has cost us further points. I’d guess that any other manager in the championship would have us in the play-off picture, but it’s Webber who appointed Farke and oversaw the signings. I was very sceptical of this one trick pony who thought he’d cracked the football business. Seems that there isn’t a limitless ‘arbitrage’ from the lower reaches of German football.

Well as far as troll posts go, that''s 10/10 for effort.

Farke is working underror some borderline intolerable circumstances. ....with players being sold from beneath his feet regularly.

As for webber ...we can only imagine the financial constraints he is working to and quite how much of a mess was inherited.

However having criticised previous regimes transfer policy....by and large the quality of players coming in under Webber’s watch had been poor

Why am I impressed?

They inherited an ageing squad we can''t afford any more because we lack a billionaire owner and haven''t bounced back to the big time like last time.

They have a plan to get us back to the top tier and KEEP us there by planting and nurturing a new philosophy.

They are managing to both inbed this new philosophy AND prune the squad down to something affordable.

They are innovative, intelligent and hungry.

They have allowed us to fall back in love with our players and be proud of their efforts again.

Maddison. Lewis. Cantwell.

If you believe that Rome was built in a day go and support Wolves ... you''ll be happier - for a while.

Each of the 24 teams in the division has a plan and philosophy but what is more important is the players on the pitch. I agree we cannot afford this squad, but it was together for this season for the final time and much stronger than most of the other teams''. This is the point of difference; not a philosophy. So this season was not the one to gamble on Daniel Farke, Mario Vrancic and Franke tearing up the championship. If all had failed being conventional this season then next season was the one to change philosophy.

They have a plan to get us back to the top tier and KEEP us there by planting and nurturing a new philosophy.

What is this master plan of KEEPING us there? We may very well achieve promotion eventually but the reality is that no matter how good they may become, they will always be working under the financial restraints of in football terms poor owners.

Rubbish is the season over.  There is a development going on if you care to see it. Players are being shipped out who don''t fit the mould and we will see more of that. New players coming in - younger, fitter - and overly expensive players will be gone too. Imo, the players that were here when Webber and Farke arrived have been given a chance to show their worth and those that don''t will be off at the end of the season - or sooner. I would include Murphy and Oliveira in that too.  Imo Murphy has not shown he has what it takes between the ears to be what we need and Oliveira seems to be struggling to come to terms with this season and what is required.  That may sound harsh, but imo they both need to shape up if they want to be here next season as it has been the most frustrating thing to watch two players up front so disconnected from each other and the rest of the team. Murphy needs to be more pro-active when he doesn''t have the ball as for me he still looks to be not fully focussed on what the team needs from him, as well as his obvious pace and occasional goal. Oliveira is similar imo - although he looks to be trying, but is finding it hard to adapt - Oliveira is Oliveira and will always be the type of player he is and although he has ability, if he can''t adapt well enough to what the new regime want, he will be off.  The rest of the team is developing and it will be an interesting time, seeing new players come in who will be fitter and more in tune with what Webber and Farke are after.  Far from being over, the season is just warming up...wait till Edwards gets on the pitch!

“wait till Edwards gets on the pitch! “

I couldn’t give a toss tbh, he’s a spurs player

[quote user="JF"]“wait till Edwards gets on the pitch! “

I couldn’t give a toss tbh, he’s a spurs player[/quote]Dear oh dear, you have got it bad.  He puts on a yellow shirt and he is ours and has to be judged by that.

[quote user="Jezzard"]The season is over, we’re 13th, 9 points off (only) the play offs and it’s mid-January. Webber has been very good at saying we’ve got no money and we need four transfer windows but this doesn’t wash. Having no money is problematic when in most cases it goes with having a very weak squad. This is not the case – we have one on the best squads in the championship (don’t tell me Bristol City, Cardiff, Sheffield Utd., Brentford are stronger); each transfer window it will get weaker and weaker. The ‘rebuild’ is a fallacy – next year no Maddison, no Oliveira, no Klose, no Pinto – how will we have a chance of anything other than mid-table? This season was our best chance of promotion, indeed automatic promotion in the next 5 or 10 years, and Farke has wasted it.

Last season Neil failed (but saved us before and is doing well with Preston), but we were the top scorers and every 3 matches or so we absolutely wiped the floor with teams. And when Alan Irvine came in, we were mainly excellent. We’re hardly weaker than last season (pre-transfer window, when if we''d been performing adequately we may have kept Pritchard) Murphy, Howson but Gunn, Hanley and Maddison. Unfortunately we have a second rate, reserve manager in charge. On the whole the Bundesliga signings have been woeful – we waste half a season playing with ten men (Vrancic being the 11th), and playing the strongest team in ALL cup games has cost us further points. I’d guess that any other manager in the championship would have us in the play-off picture, but it’s Webber who appointed Farke and oversaw the signings. I was very sceptical of this one trick pony who thought he’d cracked the football business. Seems that there isn’t a limitless ‘arbitrage’ from the lower reaches of German football.[/quote]The season is not over. We still have another 4 1/2 months of you throwing temper tantrums like a 3 year old girl who didn''t get the dolly she wanted.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_LCgGL_Kdg

I see no reason to have any enthusiasm about nurturing another teams player when there is nothing on the line for us. If we were in with a chance of promotion then fantastic. As it is we are nailed on for mid table so what’s the point in developing another teams player? Far better we actually SIGN some of our own and get them bedded in now for next season. How is playing another teams midfielder helping our progression for next season?

[quote user="JF"]I see no reason to have any enthusiasm about nurturing another teams player when there is nothing on the line for us. If we were in with a chance of promotion then fantastic. As it is we are nailed on for mid table so what’s the point in developing another teams player? Far better we actually SIGN some of our own and get them bedded in now for next season. How is playing another teams midfielder helping our progression for next season?[/quote]

We need to have a level of skill in the squad that raises the overall standard. That can be achieved by having two or three loan players of high potential in the squad - and their abiility can rub off on to the other players. If Edwards only stays to the end of the season then goes, it will be someone else who comes in on loan - that is the policy going forwards and what Webber did at Huddesrfield.  We are going in the direction of having a young dynamic squad, with a more fluid influx and outgoing than we are used to having - players will be coming and going all the time, both in sales and loans. 

This season has been an absolute failure, cut the crap about transition, it’s simply a down scaling of expectations. Preparations for next season should be underway now and playing a player whose contracted to another club and who won’t be here does nothing for that. In all honesty we are in a similar position with Gunn now as we may have to start afresh with a new gk next season

I’ll also add that I couldn’t give a shit what Webber done at Huddersfield, it has no relevance to our situation. Paul Lambert was a fucking genius here, what good did that for him at Villa?

Has anyone really considered why Webber is here at all? Rumours were he was leaving Huddersfield in the summer, why? Why jump ship to Norwich with zero funds, restructuring and pretty much a new project when a Huddersfield with its similar sized club, we’ll set for premiership was a far better option at the time!

Might well be true that he was out the door there.

Anyhow he’s here to do a job and one he’s not really doing very well for the fans, but we’re not his employers, I’m sure they believe he’s achieving their set goals financially.

Farke on the other hand has been fantastic, I buy into his tactics, his training team and ideas, he’s very god to listen to and been very patient with our current set up regarding the sale of Pritchard which I don’t think went down too well with him.

Given time and the right backing Farke will do a great job, so if Webber identified him kudos for that, but that’s all, the rest has been questionable.

You can blame our incompetent board for this mess we’re in. I’d be over the moon if Delia sold up to some owners with a bit of ambition and drive, and most importantly, cold hard cash. The English game is all about money now, whether people like it or not.

Hoola, I’m passed that point now, it’s not likely to happen so to move on as a discussion, Webber cane across very arrogant in his AGM speech and pretty damn close to rude. Since then I’m at a loss to what he’s brought here apart from down sizing the funds pretty quick without covering the positions before allowing the squad size to reduce.

I’m a tad concerned that we could lose Farke if we sell too many good youngsters and try to replace them with the lazy Watkins of this league.

I agree it’s unlikely we’ll get rid of them two. For any chance of promotion in the future we’re relying on Webber unearthing cheap gems or decent academy players. As for Farke, the jury’s out for me - at the moment we’re a bit one dimensional and predictable, but maybe that’ll change with a more balanced squad.

There’s where I still can understand the set up! If Webber and his team buy in the players, it’s down to Farke to polish the turds into his system? Does Farke give Webber a list of players he wants or is he just a coach?

Given Farke’s recent comments about the loss of Pritchard and Watkins it’s looking like the first cracks appearing. Farke for me has a real quality, but the standard of players he’s got isn’t that great, Zimmermann was his man, Trybull I’d imagine too, but can’t see the likes of a Husband or Watkins, I don’t know!

I could see him walking away if the summer brings the sale of the better players without decent budget to buy replacement.

Stick with Farke.

Ditch Webber.

Despite the optimistic outlook of some, my view is that playoffs are out of reach this season. Nevertheless, we have some exciting youngsters. If we can keep most of them, this time next year I can see us in the playoff positions. Farke is learning and slowly building a team and philosophy. I just see Webber as a chancer.

[quote user="JF"]They have a plan to get us back to the top tier and KEEP us there by planting and nurturing a new philosophy.

What is this master plan of KEEPING us there? We may very well achieve promotion eventually but the reality is that no matter how good they may become, they will always be working under the financial restraints of in football terms poor owners.[/quote]

The idea is to be stronger than the sum of our parts. Having round pegs in round holes.

Fielding hungry players looking to make their name and move on to somewhere bigger to our benefit.

Possessing a consistent style of playing throughout all levels.

Finally, not being vulnerable if we lose our manager or star player/s.

In short to have what we had with Lambert by the end but minus the risk of repeating thr crippling damage down when he walked away from the project and couldn''t be replaced like for like.

[quote user="Cantiaci Canary"][quote user="JF"]They have a plan to get us back to the top tier and KEEP us there by planting and nurturing a new philosophy.

What is this master plan of KEEPING us there? We may very well achieve promotion eventually but the reality is that no matter how good they may become, they will always be working under the financial restraints of in football terms poor owners.[/quote]

The idea is to be stronger than the sum of our parts. Having round pegs in round holes.

Fielding hungry players looking to make their name and move on to somewhere bigger to our benefit.

Finally, not being vulnerable if we lose our manager or star player/s

In short to have what we had with Lambert by the end but minus the risk of repeating thr crippling damage down when he walked away from the project and couldn''t be replaced like for like.[/quote]

Not being vulnerable if you lose your manager or star players?  I''d love to hear how that would work!!! [^o)]

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"][quote user="Cantiaci Canary"][quote user="JF"]They have a plan to get us back to the top tier and KEEP us there by planting and nurturing a new philosophy.

Finally, not being vulnerable if we lose our manager or star player/s

In short to have what we had with Lambert by the end but minus the risk of repeating thr crippling damage down when he walked away from the project and couldn''t be replaced like for like.[/quote]

Not being vulnerable if you lose your manager or star players?  I''d love to hear how that would work!!! [^o)]

[/quote]

Because our fortunes won''t hinge so desperately much on any individual.

A new head coach will always be able to come in and pick up from where the last one left off. He won''t need different players or time to change mentality / strategy.

Equally, an exiting star player will leave a round hole that a new round peg will plug.

Individual cogs will come and go but the machine will continue to tick.

Let''s be honest. ..we''re in trouble aren''t we.

This current squad is only mid table and if you consider who will likely leave in the summer...

Maddison

Gunn

Reed

Klose

Tettey

Hoolahan

Oliveira? ?

It doesn''t leave much left

...and from what we''ve seen of the success of our permanent signings so far under webber/farke (only zimmerman and tryball looking good)...I''ve not much faith in the quality coming in

Our team next season will be a mix of young players and German 2nd division players.....is that good enough for a promotion push?.....I''d just be happy to avoid relegation

"The season is not over. We still have another 4 1/2 months of you throwing temper tantrums like a 3 year old girl who didn''t get the dolly she wanted."

Yes, and I''ll certainly be making the most of it. After all, we won''t have the opportunity to waste such a good opportunity for a decade or so.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]Let''s be honest. ..we''re in trouble aren''t we.

This current squad is only mid table and if you consider who will likely leave in the summer...

Maddison

Gunn

Reed

Klose

Tettey

Hoolahan

Oliveira? ?

It doesn''t leave much left

...and from what we''ve seen of the success of our permanent signings so far under webber/farke (only zimmerman and tryball looking good)...I''ve not much faith in the quality coming in

Our team next season will be a mix of young players and German 2nd division players.....is that good enough for a promotion push?.....I''d just be happy to avoid relegation[/quote]It was plenty good enough for Huddersfield to get promoted last year. Will it work for us too? Only time will tell.What I am certain of is that the incessant crying like school girls who have been stood up by their prom date after every poor performance will have about as much impact on the outcome as those blindly championing play off success after a win.

[quote user="Jezzard"]"The season is not over. We still have another 4 1/2 months of you throwing temper tantrums like a 3 year old girl who didn''t get the dolly she wanted."

Yes, and I''ll certainly be making the most of it. After all, we won''t have the opportunity to waste such a good opportunity for a decade or so.[/quote]I can hardly wait.