Sign in to follow this  
king canary

Is Webber the fall guy?

I''ve noticed he''s soaking up an awful lot of the criticism for this season so far.

But does anyone really believe he''s the problem rather than the owners?

Do we think that Pritchard would still be here if it was someone else in his role?

Do we think that Jerome offer would have been rejected?

Do we think the ''sell before we can buy'' mantra is chosen by Webber rather than those above him?

My opinion is he is director of football/ manager get rid,think he might have told delia a few porkys

[quote user="king canary"]I''ve noticed he''s soaking up an awful lot of the criticism for this season so far.

But does anyone really believe he''s the problem rather than the owners?

Do we think that Pritchard would still be here if it was someone else in his role?

Do we think that Jerome offer would have been rejected?

Do we think the ''sell before we can buy'' mantra is chosen by Webber rather than those above him?[/quote]

Do we think it was right to ship out Naismith and continue to pay 75% of his wages?

I''d rather we still paid the other 25% and played him tbh but it is what it is.

Webber is not the root cause neither is getting rid of him the "silver bullet". All of our issues right now boil down to one simple fact. We don''t have enough money. If a club doesn''t have enough money, it can either raise ticket prices (and ours are already 12th highest in the country, and highest for the league we''re in), sell players (which we''re doing, to the detriment of football results), get promoted (see previous point) or the owners can invest money. 
Our owners are not willing or able to invest, so the previous 3 must be relied on. 3 will not happen while 2 is in progress, ergo the spiral never ends.
Delia imply has to sell up for the club to progress. It''s obvious and logical that her continued ownership is no longer benefiting the club (wouldn''t have been an issue had the riches from previous promotions not been p*ssed up the wall).

Like anything football related, it''s rarely one thing that you can pin the blame on, but a multitude of factors.

I don''t think Webber is completely blameless and to be honest, I think he seems a little bit arrogant. I don''t like how he always seems to come out and claim credit when we are on a good run, and then lets others take the fall when things are going wrong.

That said, I don''t think it''s his fault that we''ve shifted out 4 decent and 1 outstanding championship players half way through the season. The fact we are so light as a squad in January is a disgrace in my opinion. The players were knackered yesterday, because we haven''t got enough players to rotate properly. Every game we play with not enough players we are losing valuable points and whoever is responsible for our flash sale has compromised this season completely.

[quote user="Canary Wundaboy"]Webber is not the root cause neither is getting rid of him the "silver bullet". All of our issues right now boil down to one simple fact. We don''t have enough money. If a club doesn''t have enough money, it can either raise ticket prices (and ours are already 12th highest in the country, and highest for the league we''re in), sell players (which we''re doing, to the detriment of football results), get promoted (see previous point) or the owners can invest money. 
Our owners are not willing or able to invest, so the previous 3 must be relied on. 3 will not happen while 2 is in progress, ergo the spiral never ends.
Delia imply has to sell up for the club to progress. It''s obvious and logical that her continued ownership is no longer benefiting the club (wouldn''t have been an issue had the riches from previous promotions not been p*ssed up the wall).
[/quote]

Exactly right but will they be there until they are carried out in boxes?

[quote user="ec-p"]I''d rather we still paid the other 25% and played him tbh but it is what it is.[/quote]

It most certainly is what it is but it should not prevent comment on what is yet another ridiculous situation. An employee is costing the club £22.5K per week and in return we are receiving absolutely nothing. Farcical and not an efficient way of running a club.

The fall guy will be whoever posters usual default target is. I haven''t seen much change in the last 12 years in this respect. Those whose default is Delia returns to Delia. There''s not really been a Webber option before so I guess he''ll pick up the Doomcaster and McNally vote. This will leave Steve Stone a Teflon overcoat for the time being. One things for sure, it''s not Worthy''s fault anymore....

It is the same at every club. Even the very top ones who "blame" an individual for something that may well be endemic. Listen to Arsenal supporters at the moment.

The "crisis" at our club is a collective one. Mistakes were made last season we know. Change was needed. Have we the right staff to implement the changes successfully? Who knows.

Not convinced by the philosophy nonsense he spouted, but appalled at those who fell for it and employed him.

Hopelessly out of his depth, and recruiting as badly as those he took such delight in criticising.

Webber is doing exactly what he''s paid to do. He''s a troubleshooter, he''s going to make a lot of decisions that won''t be popular and I don''t think he will care if he''s being blamed or liked, so long as he gets the long term results he''s after.

[quote user="Webbo118"][quote user="ec-p"]I''d rather we still paid the other 25% and played him tbh but it is what it is.[/quote]

It most certainly is what it is but it should not prevent comment on what is yet another ridiculous situation. An employee is costing the club £22.5K per week and in return we are receiving absolutely nothing. Farcical and not an efficient way of running a club.[/quote]

So would you both be playing Naismith then? If so who for?

Its my opinion that he wasn’t contributing much here and were trying to save some money whilst putting him in the shop window. Ergo we might actually get 2-3 players in by the end of the window that we couldn’t have financed otherwise. I would judge at the end of the window

I don''t think Naismith would have done any better than Oliveira yesterday Big O.

But I am surprised he wasn''t used when we have so few options up front. I just assume he must have burnt his bridges somehow.

I assume with Naismith that as we''ve been so desperate to shift him that we didn''t want to risk him picking up an injury and scuppering any potential move.

The main problem/issue is the owners not Webber. I blame them.

However, Webber as director of football is presumably responsible for the timing of sales and purchases and for trying to assemble a balanced squad. On that front I’d say his performance has not been great and has cost us points this season.

Webber has been handed a tough situation, which he was fully aware of when taking the job - he made that perfectly clear in his first interviews. He is managing it as well as could be expected in my opinion.

Dramatic need to reduce the wage budget and bring in some money through fees, while also bringing in new players for comparatively small fees as well as a new manager and developing a footballing philosophy. This was always going to be a long term project and expecting results immediately was always unrealistic.

The signings so far haven''t been fantastic, although there are some real gems in players like Trybull, Gunn and Zimmermann as well as glimmers of hope with Vrancic, Stipermann and Ragget. Hanley was a good deal, getting him for £3.5m is a great piece of business.

What I do find promising with Webber''s signings is he doesn''t seem stuck down one route like it first appeared he might be, with everyone coming in from Germany. He has brought in a mix of players, some young and in need of developing, some older and in need of adapting and some ready to go from the off. There has also been promising acquisitions for the youth team with Mourgos, Philips, Abrahams and Idah.

A large part of Webber''s job is about getting the academy delivering, youth recruitment and development are the areas Webber specialsed in at the beginning of his career and he left Huddersfield as they told him of their plans to close the academy. I think it is clear to see a large part of what made him go for Farke is his openness to playing youth players and his ability to manage and develop them. The fact Lewis was immediately brought into the first team plans when not getting any sniff under Alex Neil shows that they serious about it, and not bad at spotting talent already at Norwich.

Webber will of course be the fall guy for many people, especially when Farke is so likable, despite not really achieving much on the pitch so far. Felt the club made a bit too much of a fanfare about Webber''s arrival, and that fans shouldn''t really know much about Sporting Directors - ultimately you''ll want someone in place for 3 or 4 years at least, as this is the time it takes to really effect change on the pitch through strategic direction.

From what I''ve seen of him and from what I''ve heard, he has his head screwed on right and has a clear vision for the club. It won''t happen overnight and he will upset people on the way. It is his job to be pragmatic in his decisions, and pragmatism is rarely what fans want in football. From the outside certain deals will always look odd and not everything will happen as Webber wants it, but without knowing the exact details we are all guessing as to why certain things happen in certain ways.

"Webber will of course be the fall guy for many people, especially when Farke is so likable, despite not really achieving much on the pitch so far. Felt the club made a bit too much of a fanfare about Webber''s arrival, and that fans shouldn''t really know much about Sporting Directors - ultimately you''ll want someone in place for 3 or 4 years at least, as this is the time it takes to really effect change on the pitch through strategic direction. "

Agree with this- he was touted as some sort of savoir which was always going to be tough to live up to.

I''m also wondering what the overlap between people who complain we''re ''too nice as a club'' and those who don''t like Webber for being blunt and a tad arrogant.

Football, being the industry it is nowadays, is all about success.

The rewards are great for that success.

Failure, at every level now, is met with condemnation and dismissal.

As Bethnal so rightly points out, Webber knows what will happen if he fails. Of course failure may only hurt the club and supporters as I guess the golden handshake would be welcomed by most of us.

Let us not get carried away with people wanting a fall guy. Every sphere of life now expects someone to pay for the slightest mistake or failure. And our board will act despite the feeling that they dither sometimes.

No Farke is the fall guy.

According to Webber he needed 3 transfer windows? Well after the summer we should see results improve or this so called "revolution" has failed.

Not convinced that loaning a failed striker from Middlesbrough & a £200k midfielder with no pace are the answers but hey what do I know.

Oh and a stroppy teenage from Spuds...