Sign in to follow this  
Yellowhammer

Looks like mid table finish .

Looks very much like a mid table finish this season ,the need for a striker has been evident for a long while ,Nelson is useless on his own at the front the only thing that would help him is a second striker in support .Maddison seems lost without Pritchard,Murphy is ok but seems unaware of his team mates and passing the ball. I would say Gunn is our best player but there is very little chance is us keeping him as he is premiership quality. Hopefully the New players may make a difference and in the summer we can add a few more for next season .

This season has been a disappointment as I was expecting us to be in top six for most of the season .

I don''t think we''ll need to be looking behind us, but that''s not to say we should be complacent.

Our showing on Saturday was pretty feeble, and for me tiredness is not an acceptable excuse - any player not fit for it should have been left on the bench or out of the squad. I was astounded there was only one change, for instance Wes could have started, as could Raggett and Stiepermann.

To be honest not too many said top 6, most called it mid table due to the major financial cut backs needed to be made along with new structure, coaching and players.

Next season won’t be any better, we’ll have another big change in playing staff, hopefully we’ll see at least four or five players out on loan or from our youth setup in the first squad.

We’ll be trying to budget to a £30 million turnover with Jarvis, Naismith and Klose still on our books, I’m sure all three will be priority to get out the door. As we see now, the loan of Gunn and Edwards will be the type of better standard of player in, with the likes of McLean our budget for permanent replacements. Gone are the days of multi million pound deals coming in, might be a couple going outcome the summer.

A realignment of expectation is going to be needed, accept mid table and hope for a top 6 position.

Has Maddison really looked lost for the vast majority of the season? His reputation built in the very few games he played with Pritchard?

OKaaaaaaaay ☺

I thought Wes was terrific when he came on, and to a lesser extent so was Vrancic. I''d have pushed Maddison further up front, closer to Oliveira in the 2nd half, especially given Sheffield''s game plan to kick him out of the game clearly worked. Easy to moan about it, but it was so frustrating to see the ref stop the game to tell their captain to stop targeting him without issuing a card.

Tettey had a shocker - not just the backpass, he seemed to be all over the place (and not in a good way!).

I was pleased to see Klose driving forward, but we looked so one-paced and lacking in ideas in and around the box.

We have looked bang on average all season, I came to this conclusion about 6 weeks after the season began and have seen nothing to change that opinion.

It was always going to take time to get going due to such a big overhaul, and when it did it was short lived before we started playing poorly again and haven''t really seen any uplift in performance. We play well and look OK without doing any damage to the opposition. Doesn''t really work in this league.

We need to improve our squad, yes, which is difficult when we need to save money. But most importantly we need to actually start scoring goals a bit easier. We can''t win games without them.

I still scratch my head that for the majority of this season we have played with 3 attacking midfielders and struggled to score/create goal scoring chances so badly.

We have the 4th worst attack in the league. Therefore, we are doing quite well to be where we are in the league, largely thanks to the defence bringing home 10 clean sheets (8th best in league) although statistically we have the 9th worst defence overall. We have failed to score on 7 occasions (joint 4th worst), and have scored just once in a game 15 times which is statistically not enough to win games in this league with only Birmingham, Bolton and Burton averaging less than one goal per game. And look where they sit in the table...

But yeah, we are the definition of average so far in performance and deserve to be where we are. Unless there''s some kind of miracle between now and season end, it is where we will finish too.

@AJ

Yeah, pretty much sums it up. You knew as soon as Sheffield United scored their second there was no chance of us managing to pull two goals back.

It is only going to get tougher when Maddison leaves too.