Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

The point this season

We are finally now in a position where we aren’t going up and aren’t going down with 4 months left of the season to complete the dead rubbers. What do we do from here?

For me we sell the high earners we can and only but the players that are buying into a few years. Anyone expecting promotion, forget it. If we can buy them now tho and they get a few months bedding in then it can only be a good thing. We have a very important week ahead of us to steal a march for summer!

Which is why Godfrey shouldn''t be out on loan, he should be playing here instead of Reed or Tettey

I would love to see Godfrey back Calle, I assume that’s not possible though. I don’t imagine either Reed or Tettey will be here next season.

If we “go with what we’ve got” to coin a previous Norwich City favourite, we’ll need to keep looking over our shoulder.

This squad is worryingly unbalanced, and short.

And signing unproven players from the German second division, isn’t an experiment we should be conducting. So it’s a no to Onel Hernandez types for me, and yes to some quality from the championship and league one.

Sheff Utd are a perfect example of what “league one standard” players can do.

Godfrey will be a key player next season which is why they want him playing regularly. I wish he was doing that here but Reed is costing us money and Tettey is our best holding mid.

As others have said - I can’t see the point of the Spurs lad coming in. We have our own youngsters looking for experience.

If Franke was going to adapt to English football he should have been loaned to an English club. I doubt he will want to return, so will be sold at a loss for an undisclosed fee.

Watkins will be offloaded as well.

With loan players leaving, we will be back at square one come July.

LDC ... the season is most definitely over...this team will NOT make the play offs, let alone get promoted. Be realistic for once....

Top six extremely unlikely and the club probably isn’t ready to go up yet due to changes being implemented & upheaval. Serious nosedive in form required for relegation to become likely. Will probably finish somewhere around where we are now. I predicted 8th back in August but probably a few spots lower is the likelihood due to home form, lack of goals & inconsistency.

Loaning players in is a tricky one because we now need to keep trying to win each game while bedding in the Farke playing philosophy with one eye on next season. But these loan players will most likely not be here in August so their training & instruction doesn’t benefit Norwich city going forward. But then we’re told the club is uncompetitive financially & purchasing players on a contract is too ‘risky’ or uneconomical under the current model.

Throwing the towel in in January is defeatist but could possibly stand us in better stead next season. Of the current squad, it’s fairly likely that Gunn, Klose, Tettey, Reed, Naismith, Watkins, Franke, Martin, Maddison, Oliveira and possibly even our beloved Wes will all be gone, as will Marcus Edwards and whoever else is loaned in this week. So without taking our eye completely off the ball for this season, should we be thinking about bedding in young players in the ‘Farke philosophy’ for next season?

Something like:

Matthews

Pinto

Hanley

Raggett

Zimmermann

Lewis

Godfrey

Thompson/Trybull

Vrancic

Murphy

AN Other forward to be signed over the summer

A flexible & young team with only one permanent signing required. Youth and potential there but maybe not enough to trouble the top end of the table. Who knows who might arrive next summer and make the difference? We wait and see.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]Except for the game on 18th February the season is dead and gone.[/quote]Is the point of following the club dependent on being involved in a challenge for promotion? Do the players think, it''s ok, we''re not going to get in the play offs, so the season is over?  No - at least I hope not - so why should we?  I just wish I lived closer so I could get to see Maddison play at CR.  We have a real star in the making there.  Trybull, Stiepermann are both excellent. Pinto is a real strong character and captain. Klose is a bit of a legend. Gunn is brilliant. Lewis is a breath of fresh air.  Hanley is a real defender''s defender.  We will probably have some new players in this week, as well as Edwards (who is guaranteed to give some excitement, loan or not).   Oliveira to find some form?  Murphy to become more savvy? If the players do show some gumption and start winning games, we will move up the table. Maybe not enough for the play offs, but never say never. The season over?  Doesn''t look it from here.

It shouldn’t be over .... but without a significant change in tactics it is.

These players are capable of more!!!

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="TIL 1010"]Except for the game on 18th February the season is dead and gone.[/quote]Is the point of following the club dependent on being involved in a challenge for promotion? Do the players think, it''s ok, we''re not going to get in the play offs, so the season is over?  No - at least I hope not - so why should we?  I just wish I lived closer so I could get to see Maddison play at CR.  We have a real star in the making there.  Trybull, Stiepermann are both excellent. Pinto is a real strong character and captain. Klose is a bit of a legend. Gunn is brilliant. Lewis is a breath of fresh air.  Hanley is a real defender''s defender.  We will probably have some new players in this week, as well as Edwards (who is guaranteed to give some excitement, loan or not).   Oliveira to find some form?  Murphy to become more savvy? If the players do show some gumption and start winning games, we will move up the table. Maybe not enough for the play offs, but never say never. The season over?  Doesn''t look it from here.

[/quote]I agree.   While it''s still mathematically possible for the play-offs we must keep trying to achieve that, in a division which is very unpredictable.   

[quote user="Cantiaci Canary"]Bed in new signings.

Keep moulding the players to Farke''s system.

Eye up more consistency next season.[/quote]

Farke''s system stinks. It may work in Germany''s 4th division but it doesn''t in the Championship. We are trying to play like Barcelona with players who should be turning out for Barrow.

The obsession with keeping possession of the ball at all costs is self defeating. Football has always been a simple game and basically you win if you score more goals than the opposition. Our priority is not to score goals, it is to avoid conceding. As a result we send out a team with a back five together with two holding midfielders who clearly have been instructed not to get ahead of the ball and not to go anywhere near the opposition penalty area.

Sheffield United have Clarke, Wilson, Donaldson, Sharp and Brooks. Derby have Nugent, Vydra, Jerome, Winnall and Martin. We have Oliveira. This illustrates the importance e place on strikers compared to others. We seem to think that a rule has been created that prevents a team from having more than one striker on the pitch at any one time. The club has taken one of the biggest gamble''s in it''s history in appointing these people. Time will tell whether it was the right thing to do.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="TIL 1010"]Except for the game on 18th February the season is dead and gone.[/quote]Is the point of following the club dependent on being involved in a challenge for promotion? Do the players think, it''s ok, we''re not going to get in the play offs, so the season is over?  No - at least I hope not - so why should we?  I just wish I lived closer so I could get to see Maddison play at CR.  We have a real star in the making there.  Trybull, Stiepermann are both excellent. Pinto is a real strong character and captain. Klose is a bit of a legend. Gunn is brilliant. Lewis is a breath of fresh air.  Hanley is a real defender''s defender.  We will probably have some new players in this week, as well as Edwards (who is guaranteed to give some excitement, loan or not).   Oliveira to find some form?  Murphy to become more savvy? If the players do show some gumption and start winning games, we will move up the table. Maybe not enough for the play offs, but never say never. The season over?  Doesn''t look it from here.

[/quote]

The point is that the football we have been served up with this season has been dreadful. It is extremely negative with high levels of passing either sideways or backwards. There is very little attacking intent with few crosses into the box, presumably because there is no-one to cross to, and little pressuring of the opposition in their own half. We have played 14 games at home of which we have won just 4. In those games we have scored a mere 15 goals. It really is dire stuff. I have been a supporter for 55 years, a shareholder for longer than I care to remember and a season ticket holder for 20 years. Unless there is a dramatic improvement, the season ticket will not be renewed next season. I cannot justify the financial outlay for what we are currently getting. There are far cheaper ways to be bored witless every week. Sign some strikers for Christ''s sake. Play two in the team and have two on the bench. That''s what other teams do. It really is not rocket science.

Farkes system works well away from home but doesn’t work very well at home. He needs to learn that at home he needs to let the players attack with more urgency and freedom and play our creative players.

Probably should have posted this on the other thread talking about our system but in the second half on Saturday Sheff Utd had a corner and the most advanced player on our side was Maddison standing just two yards outside our penalty area !!! Guess what is was cleared and it came straight back into our box FFS ! Anybody would have thought it was 90th min ute and we were away from home hanging on to a 1-0 lead not losing at home 0-2.

In all honesty, I don’t think we’ll finish in the playoffs this season either, but then I wouldn’t be overly surprised if we did. I know the quality is there for sure to get on a run, beat those around us, and gain us crucial points whilst denying any rivals. Just it looks realistically a real uphill battle after Saturdays result. Still, what I like about football is the unpredictability. Nothing’s carved in whilst the possibility remains. Oliveira coming back into goalscoring form would very likely be the difference, Plus we will certainly see a new striker or two this window.. It appears that unlike many, I had accepted that this season would be the biggest transitional phase I’d seen at the club in many a year, and so it has proved. Of course I was hoping for promotion, but I prefer to temper my expectations given the massive overhaul this season. We’ve pretty much cleared out who we needed to, and historically, in recent years, it’s been the cheaper signings that have tended to deliver than the RvW’s, Naismith’s etc so I have no problem with what’s going on at the moment at all. Despite the doom and gloom for many, I feel our futures bright under Farke and Webber.

Of course it looks unlikely to achieve play-offs, but you still try. Otherwise there''s no point in trying at all!

This season is all about rebuilding. We''ve had to have a huge financial overhaul from Premier League budget to Championship budget, and after this season is out we will have achieved it. That in itself is a massive achievement considering the debts we could have been facing. If we manage to ship off a few other high earners in Naismith/Martin/Tettey etc. we can potentially have a bit of funds to go out and buy some new additions in the summer (and this window too of course).

We''ve also overhauled the club structure and management, which means players bedding into a new system. We''ve got the emergence of a lot of youth players ahead in Ragget/Lewis/Maddison/Cantwell (and potentially Godfrey/Matthews etc).

Our season might be over with regards to Promotion/Relegation, but it is definitely not over in terms of development for next season.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="TIL 1010"]Except for the game on 18th February the season is dead and gone.[/quote]Is the point of following the club dependent on being involved in a challenge for promotion? Do the players think, it''s ok, we''re not going to get in the play offs, so the season is over?  No - at least I hope not - so why should we?  I just wish I lived closer so I could get to see Maddison play at CR.  We have a real star in the making there.  Trybull, Stiepermann are both excellent. Pinto is a real strong character and captain. Klose is a bit of a legend. Gunn is brilliant. Lewis is a breath of fresh air.  Hanley is a real defender''s defender.  We will probably have some new players in this week, as well as Edwards (who is guaranteed to give some excitement, loan or not).   Oliveira to find some form?  Murphy to become more savvy? If the players do show some gumption and start winning games, we will move up the table. Maybe not enough for the play offs, but never say never. The season over?  Doesn''t look it from here. Incredible and frankly ridiculous Til. So  a City season is over based on this stupid and very small issue when put next to everything else thats going on at the club?..the issue being this fixation that fans have with the "play offs, relegatiion mid table" end of season position? Just like  the other 91 clubs, City''s league position will be finalised after 46 games in May...and it happens once each year.A section of fans are quite entitled to opinionate the final position of their club after 46 games even in the cold dark reaches of January sure, but to say a season is over at that point in time is nonsensical rubbish.As for me, whatever position City finish come May, high, low or mid placed is just a small part of why i love being a fan of NCFC, and right now, amidst the ups and downs of each weeks current league standings, theres so much other activity going around the club that its interesting, fascinating, opinionating an engrossing, and looks set to continue  thruout the next few seasons, For me its even more than seasonal, its all year round, and it never ends.

[/quote]

Agreed AJ

The aim is of course promotion to the top flight. But all the signs point to ''mid-table mediocrity'' for this season, barring a dramatic upturn in form/goalscoring. It''s not hugely surprising given the changes currently ongoing. Nothing raises club morale like winning matches and if we had''ve followed up Stamford Bridge with three points on Saturday, hopes would have been higher.

But do you think we should perhaps be using the rest of this season to ''prepare'' for a more consistent level of performance & promotion push next season? We''ve been told in no uncertain terms that money is tight due to the bad decision-making over the last few years. Clearly the hope is to achieve promotion with a young squad on affordable wages supported by a youth structure ''ready-schooled'' in the club''s playing philosophy, allowing seamless progression into the first team. A noble & ambitious aim, but very difficult to achieve without lots of time, planning & finance.

And where do the current loan players fit in? An inexpensive way to ensure we don''t get sucked into a relegation battle? Stop-gap solution? Means to an end? View to purchase? I think most would agree that we need cover for the right-back and striker/forward positions. Would the loan system suffice? Lots of question marks at the moment.