Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's report v Sheff Utd

It was cold and wet in Norfolk today but thankfully there was none of that white stuff that has been affecting other parts this winter. I was interested to see how Farke would approach the team selection after Wednesdays extra exertions but I was not at all surprised that Tetty for Vrancic was the only change. The atmosphere was quite noisy in comparison with recent games thanks to a fair number in the away pen.After a desultory opening few minutes it was the visitors who came forward and drew the first blood. Lewis might well have cleared the ball into the stand for a throw in but lingered while tying to control  near the line and was hustled into conceding a corner. Although a City head was first to the cross it was quickly returned and after a scuffle Wilson had time to turn and rifle a low shot from a narrow angle through a crowd of defenders and into the far corner. It was not the kind of start we needed but it began to look fully deserved as the Blades began to pass and move at a pace and accuracy that had the home defence continually on the back foot. Gunn had to parry away another effort from Leonard from close range while Hanley and Klose made timely headers as the visitors pressed for a second. At times Pinto was overwhelmed as attacks coming down our right always seemed to find an unmarked man. At the other end City could get almost nothing going until Oliviera intercepted a loose pass and put Maddison away. Unfortunately he dallied a fraction too long and the United defence closed the door before he could get a shot off.On twenty minutes the City defence was cut apart again only for Gunn to come to the rescue with another smart stop low to his right as the Blades continued almost total dominance. It was not until Oliviera set Murphy away for a run and shot just after the half hour that Moore in the Sheffield goal had anything of concern to deal with. Thankfully it sparked the home side and Moore was called into more serious action when beating away Maddisons free kick from twenty yards. Then Klose let one go from the left of the box which judging by the ohh''s and ahh''s from the Barclay End, was only just wide. In all honesty I thought we were a might fortunate to go in only one down, it could easily have been two or three.It had been a poor opening half hour but the flurry before half time promised better, unfortunately the home side couldn''t keep it up as the second period began and a speculative effort from the visitors had Gunn scurrying to his left as the ball appeared to clip the base of the post. Moore at the other end was a virtual spectator as all the early action was taking place in the opposing half. To his credit, Farke didn''t wait long to change it and Wes and Vrancic came on for Reed and Hanly as the formation was changed.It immediately looked better as Wes began to pull a few strings and set City on the front foot. Murphy almost got away but checked onto the other foot when a ball wide to Oliviera might have been a better option. Then the City winger had a shot charged down and the crowd got back into it sensing an equaliser. It wasn''t to be, as Tetty made the wrong choice when scampering back after a long clearance. With a player on his heels a bang into row Z would have sufficed but he tried to cut the ball back to Gunn only to leave the City keeper in no mans land with a weak back pass. Donaldson had a simple chance and made no mistake with a low shot into the corner for two nil.Heads didn''t drop however as within a couple of minutes Pinto looped Vrancic''s clever corner over the keeper from about twelve yards. It signaled some better play from the home side who at last were moving the ball about with a bit of pace but United defended doggedly and milked the clock as you would expect. A Tim Klose header brought a good tip over from Moore but try as they might, neither Wes nor Madders could wriggle through a strong back line..Stiepermann came on for Tetty with five to go but could not help to engineer the required opening as time ran out.It''s easy to say now but this result looked well on the cards after the mid week long haul but at least it will put to bed the ludicrous propositions some people have been putting forward about the chances of a run into the play offs. Most have been in the category of "if my aunt had balls she''d be my uncle", but I suppose some people need a hope to cling to.Klose and Zimmer took my eye while the half hour cameo from Wes brought back some evergreen memories. Some of the weak will no doubt quit the ship but Ricardo looks on the bright side with today''s news that next years season ticket will be a few Peroni''s cheaper than last.Onward and upward OTBC [:D][Y]

Another good report a feeling of depression seemed to ring out throughout the ground. Had 10 times more chances when we just threw the ball into their area without all the sideways and backwards passing

Another season gone

[quote user="ricardo"]It''s easy to say now but this result looked well on the cards after the mid week long haul but at least it will put to bed the ludicrous propositions some people have been putting forward about the chances of a run into the play offs. Most have been in the category of "if my aunt had balls she''d be my uncle", but I suppose some people need a hope to cling to.[/quote]

Thanks Ricardo, missed the action today.  Disappointing after Wednesday, but not surprising given our lack of attacking options. Really needed a win to pin back the points needed to get up to challenge the top six - it looks a lot further away than this morning.  But, never say never [:O]

Poor performance, but frustrating that had Lewis and Tettey stuck the ball in row Z , we may have actually won it!

Good report, frustrating that both goals were more or less self-inflicted.

I think the only reason the playoffs look completely out of reach is because of how inconsistent we continue to be, as perfectly demonstrated by yesterday.  A win yesterday would have put us 5 points off 6th place, which with 18 games to go would have been a very real prospect.

I''d be interested to look back at how much ground we made up to get into the playoffs when we lost to Birmingham in Cardiff - I''m sure we only got into 6th place that year on the final day of the season.  This squad is totally capable of putting together a really good run over 18 games if Farke can get them to click together consistently, assuming we get a backup striker in too.  The trouble is there''s no sign of that happening.

Thanks Ricardo, I''m keeping tabs on who''ll be coming in as a replacement for Cam and what the developments will be regarding Madders. Not hoping for play offs anymore either, season''s well and truly over. Otbc

What was the crowd reaction yesterday Ricardo? The commentary seemed to think there were a few murmurings. I must admit it is difficult to get yourself wound up when the first half was so dull from our point of view.

The away support seems to be seeing, quite rightly if you go away to watch, the best of our performances at the moment.

Yesterday was not a Sheffield United parking the bus though.

[quote user="Its Character Forming"]

I think the only reason the playoffs look completely out of reach is because of how inconsistent we continue to be, as perfectly demonstrated by yesterday.  A win yesterday would have put us 5 points off 6th place, which with 18 games to go would have been a very real prospect.

I''d be interested to look back at how much ground we made up to get into the playoffs when we lost to Birmingham in Cardiff - I''m sure we only got into 6th place that year on the final day of the season.  This squad is totally capable of putting together a really good run over 18 games if Farke can get them to click together consistently, assuming we get a backup striker in too.  The trouble is there''s no sign of that happening.

[/quote]I am afraid that this is largely a myth. We did indeed get into the playoffs on the last day of the season but that season is in no way comparable with the present one. At the same stage as this in 2002 (28 games) we sat in 4th position on 49 points. There was a poor run in feb/mar that dropped us out of the picture into 11th position on 16th March but took 17 points out of the last 21 to get in on a goal difference of one better than Burnley.. It was a good comeback but we were never miles off the pace that season, in fact we were always in the hunt.

[quote user="keelansgrandad"]What was the crowd reaction yesterday Ricardo? The commentary seemed to think there were a few murmurings. I must admit it is difficult to get yourself wound up when the first half was so dull from our point of view.

The away support seems to be seeing, quite rightly if you go away to watch, the best of our performances at the moment.

Yesterday was not a Sheffield United parking the bus though.[/quote]KG, There was a good atmosphere for most of the game and not much in the way of booing at the end. The second half was decent enough but we were second best for far too long in the first half. No complaints about the result from me. A top half finish would be good but looking at the goal and points averages I suspect we will end up lower than that.

ricardo, can you see any reason why we don''t get enough men around the box when we attack? SheffU seemed to get 3 times as many players supporting attacks.

Who do you think isn''t there that should be there?

i think there was afair amount of goodwill, and expectation yesterday. Though I have to wonder how much of that would have been there but for the Chelsea gameFans were getting behind the team, and there didn''t seem much in the way of anger, more frustration, as it constantly seems one step forward two back or the reverse.For my part the glass is half full (though some on this forum would have we don''t even have glass)We seem to be in a transition period where we are moving away from tippity tap, lets knock the ball about like a pinball and keep possession to a more familiar style of attack and direct play. Unfortunately that means that passes will go astray until players make themselves more available.We are now hitting the ball into space for players to run onto rather than directly at them, however we are still not any real threat in attack. However it is good to see the likes of Klose getting forward. I still think he good do a Sutton and move upfront. That would have been the answer for the 15 mins yesterday. Remember the cross for Lewis''s goal.To sum up, I felt like a case of ''ah well back to square one'' yesterday, but without the despair that we cannot go againSo here''s to when we do.

For my part the glass is half full (though some on this forum would have we don''t even have glass)

Trouble is, it is frosted glass right now so it is difficult to see if it is half full or half empty.

[quote user="keelansgrandad"]For my part the glass is half full (though some on this forum would have we don''t even have glass)

Trouble is, it is frosted glass right now so it is difficult to see if it is half full or half empty.[/quote]There''s one easy way to find outLift glass to mouth............

Gunn was as much to blame for the second goal, would have easily made the clearance had he not changed his mind after starting to come, have a look where Donaldson makes his first touch it would have been easy for gunn to beat him there but yes tettey should have just cleared to touch, can see why people would blame solely on tettey from other parts of the ground but it was right in front of me.

City 1st

“There''s one easy way to find out

Lift glass to mouth............”

😂😂😂🍺🍺

[quote user="Van wink"]City 1st

“There''s one easy way to find out

Lift glass to mouth............”

😂😂😂🍺🍺[/quote]His will be full this time of night winky.

There''s one easy way to find out

Lift glass to mouth............

That doesn''t solve the problem does it. The conundrum would still be unanswered despite the quenching of thirst.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Its Character Forming"]

[/quote]

I am afraid that this is largely a myth. We did indeed get into the playoffs on the last day of the season but that season is in no way comparable with the present one. At the same stage as this in 2002 (28 games) we sat in 4th position on 49 points. There was a poor run in feb/mar that dropped us out of the picture into 11th position on 16th March but took 17 points out of the last 21 to get in on a goal difference of one better than Burnley.. It was a good comeback but we were never miles off the pace that season, in fact we were always in the hunt.
[/quote]

Not really sure what you think is a myth Ricardo, because the fact is that in 2002 we only squeaked into 6th place on the final day of the season.  What I couldn''t remember is how we''d fared generally over that season which you''ve helpfully filled in, and yes it''s different from this season, in that we were in the playoff places at the corresponding stage, then had a bad run to fall down to 11th, but were (just) able to recover thanks to an excellent run in.  Whereas this season we''ve been mid table for quite a while now, and below 11th place.

ICF

It''s a myth to the extent that some were using the 2001/02 season was an example of a run from nowhere to get into the playoffs.

It wasnt.

[quote user="ricardo"]

There was a good atmosphere for most of the game and not much in the way of booing at the end. [/quote]

I thought the home support was quite for most of the game and only really got going after we put Wes and Vrancic. We then decided to have a go at them.

Comrade Lapdog,

I was urging the team on, with Come on you Yellas!

If it wasn''t for the away support you might get the idea you were in a morgue on Saturday. I noticed they shouted out some Library comment.

[quote user="Donkey dangler"]Comrade Lapdog,

I was urging the team on, with Come on you Yellas!

If it wasn''t for the away support you might get the idea you were in a morgue on Saturday. I noticed they shouted out some Library comment.[/quote]MEGALOL.