Sign in to follow this  
Making Plans

I was on the point of changing my mind

and starting to believe in the new system and the remote possibility of a play off place.But once again, bad management by Webber (letting CJ go before we got a replacement) and Farke (playing our best team at Chelsea) has extinguised any hope of a revival we might have had.We desperately needed a striking alternative today but we had none. In fact, we have needed a striking alternative all season and not getting someone in during the summer has cost us big time.We didn''t need to let our best players lose at Chelsea, exciting though it was.The Arsenal game should have taught Farke everything he needed to know but no, he does exactly the same thing again.There are no excuses for either Webber or Farke because they both should have known better.

That''s the spirit, keep flip-flopping based on the most recent 90 minutes. A good result next week and back behind the long term project; it must be truly exciting not knowing what you are going to think from one week to the next.

With respect MP, i believe your very first sentence sums up what a fair few fans cannot  grasp as to where City are right now and where they have been all season. The times we were a bit in the lower  half of the table, the doom mongers were shouting relegation...then when we get  a bit nearer the last play off place points wise, albeit not position wise, to many start talking or dreaming of a top 6 place.We are neither relegation or promotion material, ive said this a fair few times this season, most recently couple days ago, agreeing with Bethnal in a topic. Its so obvious to see where we are that i just dont know why some fans dont see it. First season of a huge...HUGE...change at this club, which Webber and DF have said will take 2, maybe even 3 seasons. First job for Webber was getting rid of the old aged players, then the high earners, DF has  started to bring the squad age down, play younger guys. This club simply is not ready for promotion at this time.If you believe keeping CJ at the club would have changed the result today...or even have helped us climb into the top 6...sorry no, it would not have done. You think Webber and DF are blinded to the fact we have 1 striker? Of course they know we need more strikers and / or attacking ideas..and it''ll come, but honestly, we are mid table Champs this season and with a new set up that needs 2 or 3 seasons. That is the truth, in a nutshell.

Today was perhaps a case of after the Lord Mayor''s show. The Chelsea replay left me feeling that things are not so bad. Young players like Jamal Lewis, Ben Godfrey, Loius Thompson and others such as young Cantwell offer real hope for the future. We were never going to make the play offs this season even though hope keeps us believing it might be possible.

I am looking forward to see who we might bring in to replace the deadwood being shifted out at least temporarily but hopefully permanently.

[quote user="Darryl Dixon"]That''s the spirit, keep flip-flopping based on the most recent 90 minutes. A good result next week and back behind the long term project; it must be truly exciting not knowing what you are going to think from one week to the next.[/quote]

Spot on DD! There were people saying something similar in the aftermath of the Chelsea game - along the lines of “really proud of the team, but if we lose on Saturday we’ll be sh*t again”. Maybe it’s an age (or perhaps more accurately maturity) thing, but a little bit of perspective, or looking at the big picture, is a valuable thing.

It was lack of concentration on the first goal. Tettey''s silly back pass on the 2nd. - Barely played on Wednesday.

It''s the players letting down Farke.

Plus we have a striker who is a bit hit and miss.

We need to judge on February the 1st.

No flip flopping from me, I believe in DF, and also in success under him in the longer term - and I am pleased we played a strong team against Chelsea, personally I think that attitude is a breath of fresh air, despite the obvious risk of ‘heavier legs’ today against a fresh Sheffield United. Let’s face it, promotion was always unlikely in a transitional season with so much change, but those predicting relegation were laughable. I think the sensible on here have been predicting an upper mid table finish this season whilst DF continues to cut out dead wood and build. This project won’t suit those with little patience, but I’m confident those that are will be rewarded.

No idea why Tettey decided to have a go at Gunn after the goal, he was 100% responsible for their second.

I will reserve judgement on Farke until he''s had a chance to build a squad, now that we seem to have shifted some of our older high earners.

That''s the spirit, keep flip-flopping based on the most recent 90 minutes. A good result next week and back behind the long term project; it must be truly exciting not knowing what you are going to think from one week to the next.

That isn''t fair. Many were too keen to announce that the Webberlution was now working. And quite clearly it isn''t. Well not all the time.

Football is emotional and fair enough some pillory and some praise. And we will need plenty of patience.

But until we have had this and the next transfer window, we will have to wait and see just how good this new outfit is.

To keep blaming the players is not always fair either. The coach stands on the sidelines and can change it as soon as it is obvious it isn''t working.

Oliveira isn''t the right player for us but to be fair to him, he hasn''t had any support today.

Murphy just ran the chalk line, And Pinto, smashing header apart, just ran into trouble. Maddison wasn''t on his A game and never got into their box.

And when we did cross, they were very poor and very rarely got past the first man. It is no good crossing from 30 yards out. The defence can position itself so easily.

So what really was Oliveira left to work with against two CB''s?

[quote user="Alex "]No flip flopping from me, I believe in DF, and also in success under him in the longer term - and I am pleased we played a strong team against Chelsea, personally I think that attitude is a breath of fresh air, despite the obvious risk of ‘heavier legs’ today against a fresh Sheffield United. Let’s face it, promotion was always unlikely in a transitional season with so much change, but those predicting relegation were laughable. I think the sensible on here have been predicting an upper mid table finish this season whilst DF continues to cut out dead wood and build. This project won’t suit those with little patience, but I’m confident those that are will be rewarded.[/quote]

How long is this project set to last Alex? We’ve had three seasons here, if we have another 12 seasons in the championship will you be happy? Just asking to what our supporters think this project is about and the goal of the project. At present the project is to offload all the high earners,cut the budgets and restructuring for life with a 27million a year turnover.

But I’ve not seen anything from our board to say we have a three year, five year or seven year plan to say make the top 6, get promoted, all I’ve heard is self sufficient.

So what are your expectations from this plan? Not having a go just asking the question matey.

I haven''t flip flopped at all. At no point have I ever been totally convinced about Webber & Farke even though there have been signs of improvement over the last 4 weeks. Personally I would have rather had a win, and 3 points today, than a gloriois defeat  in London on Wednesday and I would rather have had a win rather than trying to defend two people who have obviously got it wrong.And as for CJ, he may have not been the answer today but at least he would have been an option because we had no other striker in the team or on the bench.If you are serious about winning matches, particularly at home, that is a pretty unforgivable error of judgement.We get ourselves into a position where we are 6 points off the Play Off positions and we blow it. A win today and we would have been 5 points off the Play Off positions but instead we now find ourselves 9 points off them.It''s very much a case of poor squad management and poor fixture management.

It’s not acceptable to just write off yet another season on the basis we are in so called transition. Today was a big game and that first half an hour was appalling. We were so far below what we are capable it’s untrue and we’ve lost uk a very average team because we were massively sloppy and handed it to them on a plate. Once we started playing a bit you could see we’d have had the beating of them if we’d been at it from the off but mentally and physically we were sloppy and that game was the important game this week.

For me far too many at the club and amongst the fans have bought into this “season of transition” bulls**t which is basically just an excuse for failure and cost cutting. Jerome’s interview when he joined Derby was very telling and the attitude that “we are not going up and we are not going down” flows through far too much at the club at the moment.

Ian - Tettey''s backpass was poor but Gunn made it worse by not coming out: imo he''d have got there or at least been able to challenge in a reasonable position, rather than leaving a decent striker with a pretty easy chance. Both were to blame, in hindsight Tettey would have been far better clearing it over the City stand!!

Has nobody considered that we play so many passes needlessly back to Gunn that eventually somebody was going to catch us out?

It doesn’t take a tactical genius to play against us at the minute, and the sales now mean that we have no alternative

It is as it is. The club would never risk promotion this year. It would ruin the sustainable model they are trying to implement and the steady progress of our young players. The cup games have given us a glimpse of what might be possible a couple of years down the line with an exciting young and hungry squad in place able to have a tilt at the prem. That hope is all I’ve got to sustain me this season.

Branston, I genuinely don''t understand what you think Gunn should have done. It was a diagonal ball away from Gunn''s goal. Tettey had the situation under control, was well goal side, and about a yard or two from the sideline. The only, and easiest, choice given he clearly had no idea of Gunn''s whereabouts, was to smash the ball out of play and regroup.

It was a poor, poor mistake from Alex, compounded by his inability to take responsibility for it.

[quote user="Alex "]No flip flopping from me, I believe in DF, and also in success under him in the longer term - and I am pleased we played a strong team against Chelsea, personally I think that attitude is a breath of fresh air, despite the obvious risk of ‘heavier legs’ today against a fresh Sheffield United. Let’s face it, promotion was always unlikely in a transitional season with so much change, but those predicting relegation were laughable. I think the sensible on here have been predicting an upper mid table finish this season whilst DF continues to cut out dead wood and build. This project won’t suit those with little patience, but I’m confident those that are will be rewarded.[/quote]Me to - spot on, and especially about playing a proper team in the cup, I''m sick to back teeth of all this ''concentrating on the league'' rubbish.

[quote user="Making Plans"]It''s very much a case of poor squad management and poor fixture management.[/quote]It''s a small squad and Farke has an issue with Watkins. Would you basically have played the youth team?

[quote user="Creative Midfielder"][quote user="Alex "]No flip flopping from me, I believe in DF, and also in success under him in the longer term - and I am pleased we played a strong team against Chelsea, personally I think that attitude is a breath of fresh air, despite the obvious risk of ‘heavier legs’ today against a fresh Sheffield United. Let’s face it, promotion was always unlikely in a transitional season with so much change, but those predicting relegation were laughable. I think the sensible on here have been predicting an upper mid table finish this season whilst DF continues to cut out dead wood and build. This project won’t suit those with little patience, but I’m confident those that are will be rewarded.[/quote]Me too - spot on, and especially about playing a proper team in the cup, I''m sick to back teeth of all this ''concentrating on the league'' rubbish. [/quote] [Y] And me. Definite progress in all departments on and off the field.

Whilst being right re the back pass - I never said otherwise - Gunn started to come and then didn''t, which was his mistake. Once the pass was made he had to go for it. I sit next to an ex pro keeper and this was his opinion 100%.

[quote user="DDD In The Fine City"]We have to let players leave before a replacement as we have a cash flow problem[/quote]

Do we? That’s a worry if it’s true because we had an agreed 7 million pound overdraft facility. Where’s it gone?

Oh, I understand what you mean now Branston. To be honest, from my angle (1 row from front, left of Gunn''s goal) I didn''t see that Gunn had any real chance regardless of his positioning. Perhaps he was absolutely certain that Tettey wouldn''t make such a basic error of judgement as to try a backpass from therw.

I''ll watch a replay, but from what I could see Tettey presented Sheff U with a 1v1. Given his relative lack of experience, and some of the excellent saves he has made recently, I''m willing to give Gunn the benefit of the doubt.

Couple of points..keelansgrandad...you mention Webberlution..that is just a term a poster made to headline a topic and is a silly term anyway..there is no revolution at this club..its an evolve..the term Webbevolve would have been better, thou still wide of the mark. Its not a one man band change, its involved a whole  change in infrastructure thru the management staff to a complete overhaul of the team squad which is still very much far from done yet.Jim Smith...you cite to many have the attitude of we aint going up and aint going down..its not an attitude...its based on sound solid realism from looking at NCFC.s results this season. Nothing to do with attitude. Tell me Jim in all honesty and simply do YOU think City will get relegated or even reach end season in top 6?

[quote user="Jim Smith"]It’s not acceptable to just write off yet another season on the basis we are in so called transition. Today was a big game and that first half an hour was appalling. We were so far below what we are capable it’s untrue and we’ve lost uk a very average team because we were massively sloppy and handed it to them on a plate. Once we started playing a bit you could see we’d have had the beating of them if we’d been at it from the off but mentally and physically we were sloppy and that game was the important game this week.

For me far too many at the club and amongst the fans have bought into this “season of transition” bulls**t which is basically just an excuse for failure and cost cutting. Jerome’s interview when he joined Derby was very telling and the attitude that “we are not going up and we are not going down” flows through far too much at the club at the moment.[/quote]Jim, are you saying there is no need for us to cut costs this season and that we shouldn''t be doing so?

Essjayess - I said too many within the club have that attitude and yes I feel too many fans are too accepting of it. We should still be doing much better than we are with the players we have at our disposal.