Sign in to follow this  
stewfil

Wigan in advanced takeover talks

[quote user="DDD In The Fine City"]Even better, the club was given to him by an elderly relative[/quote]That''ll never catch on either.

In the last 15 years they''ve had...

8 straight years in the Premier League, an FA Cup win, another FA Cup semi final, European football, a league cup final and a 10th place finish in the Premier League.

Not bad really.

[quote user="king canary"]In the last 15 years they''ve had...

8 straight years in the Premier League, an FA Cup win, another FA Cup semi final, European football, a league cup final and a 10th place finish in the Premier League.

Not bad really.[/quote]

They have done extremely well. The local owner has now realised that he has taken them as far as he can. Wonder if he knows any other "local owners"?

Until a deal is done, Jackson said the Whelan family remained committed to "owning and funding" Wigan.

Jackson said a deal "will only take place in the best interests of Wigan Athletic".

FUNDING! Weirdo does he not know that self funding is the way forward... all you have to do is sell your best players every year & Bob''s yer uncle...

They had all that and yet suffered successive relegations and only now do they look like being promoted again, I wonder how that all went down on their message Boards?

Wigan?.....It''ll all end in a ton of tears......Wigan''s an unfashionable club, surrounded in a commutable catchment area of a plethora of other football league clubs.....Big ones an'' ickle ones.......Scouse an'' Mancs an'' including some Championship and a few others......

Rugby league is big around ''em parts ''Wigan Warriors'' very popular as well.......But I can''t see why anyone would invest money in unfashionable Wigan?......

Wonder if unfashionable Wigan''s a community club?......

We gotta stay as we are, insular an'' independent....Who needs investment outside or in? Self funding and the upcoming ''yoof'' will see us rise - and we certainly don''t want any doirty furriners or oily outsiders soilin'' an'' spoilin'' the sincere special club we are so very fortunate to follow.....

Keep it as it is......24,000 plus are content, so why change it?.....Onwards an'' Upwards!......Prudence with Ambition!......Yeah!......

"They had all that and yet suffered successive relegations and only now do they look like being promoted again, I wonder how that all went down on their message Boards?"

Not true- they got relegated, bounced straight back up to the Championship, got relegated again and now look like bouncing back up again.

Sure the last few years haven''t been great but they''ve had a fantastic run for a club of their size over the last 15/20 years.

[quote user="Crafty Canary"]And they have low cost STs. Their owners love their club and recognise that that can mean knowing when to let go. Good luck to them.[/quote]The low cost of the ST''s was probably due to the low crowds even when they were in the Premier League.

But there isn’t anyone out there interested in buying football clubs....

I''m struggling to see the comparison here, Wigan as a club and location is clearly far more attractive to an investor than Norwich. They''re already in league 1 so there''s much less fan expectation (note singular = 1 fan), their consistently empty stadium ensures there is no pressure to succeed at all. What a dream. Also there''s motorways and big cities nearby and sh1t which is obviously extremely important.

Norwich on the other hand already has some building blocks in place in terms of mounting a return to the premier league, with an exciting crop of young players, plus the fact that we have to deal with a full stadium every week and all the pressure from the fans that comes with it. Anyone who thinks this could be mistaken for a more appealing proposition than Wigan is delusional. When you tie this in with the fact that we are living in an isolated, tin pot, shanty town joke excuse of a city its no surprise we have never received any investor interest - just look at how much everyone has creamed their pants over the NDR. Not even a motorway FFS. Embarrassing.

Yet another club that have leapfrogged us. Anyone that’s been to Wigan will know that it simply cannot be a better option than Norwich.

The only reasonable explanation is that Delia has an Iron Curtain that repels all unwanted advances.

Still, one positive is that there is no way our players would cope with the rigours of the Premier League; I mean, once all these clubs and their rich investors get promoted it will be a 100 game season - we’d be mentally exhausted by October every year.

Duncan Edwards wrote:

''''The only reasonable explanation is that Delia has an Iron Curtain that repels all unwanted advances. ''''

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I find your posts ambiguous in their sarcasm. In the prem and even for the most part last season, it was clear when you were being ridiculous, but this season, as we''ve become acquainted with mid-table football and massive financial constraints, I find your sarcasm to accidentally be right on the money....

For instance, the quoted above, what part of Delia ''not willing to listen to any offers'' isn''t exactly what you just proclaimed in jest?

What part?

Well, all of it. While it appeared in print - and as such may well have been said - it has since been rubbished hasn’t it? It has to me, anyway. Some people choose to hang on the Times interview, others (myself included) prefer to take on board what has been said subsequently.

I guess it depends which side of the line your hat falls. Frankly, the notion that she is some sort of omnipotent ogre that has a Stalinesque control of all things Norwich City is as ridiculous as it sounds. But then others will have you believe that she appoints people to the board to ensure that her wishes are always carried and that she is surrounded by Patsies. Why she would choose to remunerate these folk quite so well (McNally, Moxey etc) is a moot point unless you believe that it’s worth a Million a year to ensure she gets her own way? Of course, she could just employ a happy clapper like me for a fraction of the cost, get exactly the same results, save a fortune AND there’d be a “fan” on the board. Obviously she is too stupid to think of that - maybe I’ll suggest it to her? 😉

@DuncanEdwards - in what way has it been "rubbished?"

Its very, very clear to me (and I suspect was to many other fans) that the Times interview gave a clear insight into how they think and (with them having let their guard down perhaps) went a long way to explaining various things.

I assume you are referring to MWJ''s slightly cumbersome attempt to backtrack at the subsequent AGM (having realised how badly the interview had gone down) where even then he basically said they would not sell to anyone foreign or are you referring to Balls carefully chosen words after the last AGM where he referred to "investment" rather than ownership (as they have always done in the past as well).

I''m afraid the Times interview revealed the truth in all its glory and I still don;t believe that they have had any change of heart.

Well, there you go Jim.

You’ve demonstrated my point perfectly. You take the newspaper article as gospel and treat anything said subsequently with suspicion.

That’s because one nestles beautifully with your own feelings on the issue and the other is at odds with it. 👍

If the supposed ''gospel'' newspaper article, deliberately misinterpreted what the NCFC majority shareholding actually said in their interview......Why then, haven''t the majority shareholding duo taken that newspaper to task either ''legal wise'' or at the very least asked for an apology from the paper for its supposed ''non gospel'' deliberate misinterpreted article?.....

Gospel or Non Gospel.....That, is the question?....

Tubby Brazilian Ronaldo is looking to invest in a second tier English club, according to BBC sport.

Our playing strip might attract him and he could keep Yellows open with his large appetite.

Funny, I work quite a lot with a Wigan supporter. He’s in his forties and has seen their rises and falls over many years. He takes a Ricardo-esque view of things - they’re a small north-western club with gates of somewhere in the region of 15,000. Top of League 1/bottom half of the Championship is their “natural” level. But younger supporters, in their 20s, have an entitled view of them as a Premier League team and believe they should be spending millions on transfers, when they clearly no longer have. And they had/have an owner worth about £200 million, not Delia’s £20-30.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]@DuncanEdwards - in what way has it been "rubbished?"

Its very, very clear to me (and I suspect was to many other fans) that the Times interview gave a clear insight into how they think and (with them having let their guard down perhaps) went a long way to explaining various things.

I assume you are referring to MWJ''s slightly cumbersome attempt to backtrack at the subsequent AGM (having realised how badly the interview had gone down) where even then he basically said they would not sell to anyone foreign or are you referring to Balls carefully chosen words after the last AGM where he referred to "investment" rather than ownership (as they have always done in the past as well).

I''m afraid the Times interview revealed the truth in all its glory and I still don;t believe that they have had any change of heart.[/quote]

Absolutely correct Jim... basically she will not listen to any offers even if they are beneficial to the club. Totally at odds with having "the best interest of the club" at heart