Sign in to follow this  
Big Vince

Small Club Mentality & the Flakesnow Generation

If you managed to keep your ''buzz'' for supporting NCFC under Hamilton, Roeder, Grant, Gunn and Hughton, but Farke is a step too far, there''s something wrong with your wiring!

If you managed to keep your ''buzz'' for supporting NCFC under Hamilton, Roeder, Grant, Gunn and Hughton, but Farke is a step too far, there''s something wrong with your wiring!

Who says I still don''t get a buzz every game?

Read it properly and you will see what I am saying is that I expected more, however major the change is, from a German coach.

I won''t have the same youthful excitement from standing on the Barclay and surging as we score a goal.

But before every game I get a senior version the same excitement.

The Chelsea game in particular was as good to watch as anything in the last 12 months. So why did it turn turtle against the Blades?

And are you saying we never played a good exciting game under the managers you quoted?

The memory of some of the brilliant exciting games City have been involved in over the years are what keeps me involved for so long.

I will never forget Old Trafford in 1967 as long as I live or the night we beat Palace to stay up.

Maybe some newer and younger supporters got a buzz from Saturday''s performance. Personally I didn''t.

Our players coming in every day for training and stuff?......

Blimey, that means their PlayStation 4 gaming and controller skills will deteriorate rapidly with no more regular "GET SUURM!" Call o'' Dooty?......Their Golf handicaps will definitely suffer......The local Maccy D''s profits will have most likely slumped......No more 4 wheel chariot chat an'' vroom vroom worship in Colney car park.....Never to be seen again betting slips stuffed deep in tracksuit pockets.....Poor souls of soccer, I bet the Nightclub VIP lounge is the only sanctuary they can look forward to......Oh, and those post nightclub ''yom yom'' munchy kebabs coupled with a singalong and serenade by slightly tiddly NCFC fans......Bless ''em.......

[quote user="keelansgrandad"]If you managed to keep your ''buzz'' for supporting NCFC under Hamilton, Roeder, Grant, Gunn and Hughton, but Farke is a step too far, there''s something wrong with your wiring!

Read it properly and you will see what I am saying is that I expected more, however major the change is, from a German coach.

I won''t have the same youthful excitement from standing on the Barclay and surging as we score a goal.

The Chelsea game in particular was as good to watch as anything in the last 12 months. So why did it turn turtle against the Blades?

And are you saying we never played a good exciting game under the managers you quoted?

The memory of some of the brilliant exciting games City have been involved in over the years are what keeps me involved for so long.

I will never forget Old Trafford in 1967 as long as I live
or the night we beat Palace to stay up.

Maybe some newer and younger supporters got a buzz from Saturday''s performance. Personally I didn''t.[/quote]And we got knocked out the next round by Sheffield Wednesday and finshed in 11th place in the second tier with a -6 goal difference!

The op says Chelsea won 4 - 0 on Saturday so their top players didn''t suffer tiredness. Just how many of the starting line up of side that beat us started on Saturday? 4 I believe.

And we got knocked out the next round by Sheffield Wednesday and finshed in 11th place in the second tier with a -6 goal difference!

Yeah Sheffield Wednesday. We were expecting to beat them but if I remember my grandson dropped the ball and they scored and we never quite got back into it.

Great home tie against Derby in the 3rd round and then the OT game.

I suppose our current players may be more technically gifted but give me Bryceland every time.

Thanks NN. See, it was even sunnier in those days as well. But older men still wore a gaberdine in case it rained.

I had a Yellow and Green Top Hat on. It had the legend "Keelan Supreme" on it.

[quote user="keelansgrandad"]If you managed to keep your ''buzz'' for supporting NCFC under Hamilton, Roeder, Grant, Gunn and Hughton, but Farke is a step too far, there''s something wrong with your wiring!

I will never forget Old Trafford in 1967 as long as I live or the night we beat Palace to stay up.

Maybe some newer and younger supporters got a buzz from Saturday''s performance. Personally I didn''t.[/quote]Sorry for not being clearer - my comment was aimed at Webbo for his response to your post. No problem with any of the points you made, and I respect your contributions to the board! [Y]

Sorry for not being clearer - my comment was aimed at Webbo for his response to your post. No problem with any of the points you made, and I respect your contributions to the board! Yes [Y]

I do apologise my Canis Lupus friend. I did hesitate at first before replying but as mine was the first post to use "buzz" I thought it was with reference to me.

Thanks for pointing it out and your kind remarks.

Watching the Brizzle v Citeh game at the moment, I am able to offer another reason for the OP.

The pitch looks immaculate and yet Bristol RFC now play on there instead of Rovers ground.

To see a pitch like that, in January, after the weather we have had is a credit to the modern groundsman but also a reason why players should find it easier to play.

[quote user="keelansgrandad"]So what about people who run a marathon a day for 26 days and the like,?, modern day players are very fit, a couple of days rest after running say 15/20 kilometres at most should not really be an issue for them......

Very true,

At times, stats are put up that a certain player has run 11K in a match.

That stat is misleading as at least 60% per cent of that is either walking or slow jog.

No-one denies that football is demanding and physical. But well trained and suitably fit as well as proper diets should be able to handle two games a week.

Five years ago I was still working, training five days a weeks and running at least three 10K''s a week with probably one at race pace. And topography permitting, the times were always within 10 seconds of each other.

It is called spirit, competitiveness and determination.[/quote]

Why didn’t you make it as a pro footballer? After all, one at race pace every week is worth at LEAST two football matches....🙄

Well done on your running though; impressive.

How many sprints did you do and over what distance during these runs? How many aerial challenges did you compete for? How many times were you forced to hold your ground by being pressured by other runners? How many tackles did you make?

How many sprints did you do and over what distance during these runs? How many aerial challenges did you compete for? How many times were you forced to hold your ground by being pressured by other runners? How many tackles did you make?

There are some valid points there of course.

And I wasn''t meaning to blow my own trumpet but merely trying to offer my opinion on why I think that it is nonsense about two games a week.

But of course, running a marathon, I didn''t stop halfway for 15 minutes (although we seem to take nearer 20).

I don''t ever remember someone taking over the last 6 miles for me.

If you run a big city marathon you end up with plenty of cuts and bruises just like a footballer has hacked you. And if you aren''t careful you end up with bloody and sore nipples.

And I don''t think I will see too many players with the determination of Johnny Brownlee to strive for success.

It probably isn''t wise to compare but I just think it is fair to point out that the stats we often see are very misleading.

As for a pro footballer, I didn''t have enough pace to make it that far. And the booze and fags made sure I wouldn''t get any quicker. Glad I gave up the fags a long time ago.

My brother was offered terms as a goalkeeper by Birmingham City but at 16 in 1957 was too scared to leave home. Shame. I would have walked to Birmingham on my hands for that chance.

Me too Webbo. Brilliant memories despite the result. Thanks for posting NN.

Might be memory playing tricks but I''m sure there were a good number of boisterous Wednesday fans around us.

I''m trying to remember if this was the match when somebody jumped over the fence from the Barclay End, ran the length of the pitch and literally dived over the railings at the River End.

And don''t forget that in the 70s & 80s there were sometimes multiple cup replays in every round. I recall one occasion where a cup-tie went to a third replay and this was at a time where there was fixture chaos due to matches being called off due to frozen pitches. So the latter end of the season was often crammed with rearranged games.

[quote user="Hairy Canary"]Me too Webbo. Brilliant memories despite the result. Thanks for posting NN.

Might be memory playing tricks but I''m sure there were a good number of boisterous Wednesday fans around us.[/quote]

They were in the corner joining the River End and the South Stand.