Sign in to follow this  
hampton canary

Do we really need everyone back in the box for corners?

I am not a football manager, but I cannot see the sense in bringing all our players back for an opposition corner. How many times have we seen us clear the ball only for it to come straight back in again. If we just left one quick player on the halfway line at least there would be an outlet.

Yeah I don''t get it. It allows the opposition to put more players up and means they will always win the second ball and come back at us, particularly if we are slow pushing out.

Quite right Hampton, but our totally inexperienced coaching staff do not understand football basics. Another simple point. If you are the home team you try to come out and make an early effort to impose your self on the opposition before they settle. You do not spend the first 15 mins rolling the ball about in your own penalty area.

[quote user="hampton canary"]I am not a football manager, but I cannot see the sense in bringing all our players back for an opposition corner. How many times have we seen us clear the ball only for it to come straight back in again. If we just left one quick player on the halfway line at least there would be an outlet.[/quote]

That''s an easy one! The answer is "no".

Here''s another one. When we are playing a back five, is it a good idea (particularly at home), to play two holding midfielders and issue them with instructions to not get ahead of the ball and, under no circumstances, enter the opposition penalty area?

That''s an easy one! The answer is "no".

Here''s another one. When we are playing a back five, is it a good idea (particularly at home), to play two holding midfielders and issue them with instructions to not get ahead of the ball and, under no circumstances, enter the opposition penalty area?

You are right Webbo. Isn''t two holding when we play a back 3/5 missing a player further forward? Are we that bad?

Spot on Webbo. But why do our coaching staff not understand this. And another one. When we have a corner and it is half cleared to a defender why does he not immediatedly put it back in the box whilst we have the big men up. The current Norwich way seems to be fiddle around make a square pass and the ball eventually finishes up with our goalie.

It has got more and more comical as the season has gone on.

Losing at home but bring EVERYBODY back for the corner. Clear it and guess what - they pick it up under no pressure and it comes straight back into the box.

At least leave Murphy 1/3 of the way up the pitch so we at least have half a chance of countering

The two holding allow the wingbacks to attack. The wingbacks were often our most forward players yesterday. And the last two goals we''ve scored have been headers from the two wing backs. I guess if they just defended and the holding midfielders had scored those goals it would have been better? I think those two holding increase our attacking options tbh. 

Agree with you Webbo, also every opposition manager knows that is how we play at home so they are not worried about playing two up front and allowing their defenders to push up.

It is pointless Pinto or Lewis charging down the wing as they invariably have to stop and play the ball backwards as there is nobody in the box; even our lone striker Oliveira spends most of his time on the wing.

I despair when Farke talks about bringing in replacements to improve the forward play, he might need to consider changing his style of play and get more players to push up into the opposition box.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]The two holding allow the wingbacks to attack. The wingbacks were often our most forward players yesterday. And the last two goals we''ve scored have been headers from the two wing backs. I guess if they just defended and the holding midfielders had scored those goals it would have been better? I think those two holding increase our attacking options tbh. [/quote]

Our wing backs attack so well that they provide a continuous flow of crosses and chances for our one remaining and isolated striker who has scored a grand total of how many goals this season? Ronaldo up front in our team wouldn''t be doing any better. Strikers always operate better as pairs unless you have outstanding individuals like Hazard and Sanchez.

[quote user="hampton canary"]Agree with you Webbo, also every opposition manager knows that is how we play at home so they are not worried about playing two up front and allowing their defenders to push up.

It is pointless Pinto or Lewis charging down the wing as they invariably have to stop and play the ball backwards as there is nobody in the box; even our lone striker Oliveira spends most of his time on the wing.

I despair when Farke talks about bringing in replacements to improve the forward play, he might need to consider changing his style of play and get more players to push up into the opposition box.[/quote]

You are of course absolutely correct in what you say. I believe that the majority of supporters realise this as well, for sure.

I do like it that we have men on the posts for most corners but do we need everyone back, ? Clearly not, I''d prefer it the way Barcelona do it and leave as many as 4 up, it would stop teams from piling forward for corners.

Bizarre that our goal against Chelsea was a cross from our CB out on the left wing onto the head of our LB/WB positioned in the right chanel of the oppo penalty area.

[quote user="Webbo118"][quote user="nutty nigel"]The two holding allow the wingbacks to attack. The wingbacks were often our most forward players yesterday. And the last two goals we''ve scored have been headers from the two wing backs. I guess if they just defended and the holding midfielders had scored those goals it would have been better? I think those two holding increase our attacking options tbh. [/quote]

Our wing backs attack so well that they provide a continuous flow of crosses and chances for our one remaining and isolated striker who has scored a grand total of how many goals this season? Ronaldo up front in our team wouldn''t be doing any better. Strikers always operate better as pairs unless you have outstanding individuals like Hazard and Sanchez.[/quote]
Whether they attack well or not I guess is a matter of opinion. I was just pointing out what I see with my own eyes. A goal scored is worth no more or less whatever position the scorer is playing in the spectators head. In the last two games i''ve watched centre halves on the wing with full backs on the penalty spot. I think I''ll run that by Big Dunc and Alan Black....

The wing backs have a tough job as they have to cover an awful lot of ground.

On Saturday they were a bit slower getting forward in support though, maybe due to tiredness or possibly due to the fact Sheffield United pressed us well and forced them to sit deeper. It did mean far too often we were breaking with two or three players vs five or six defenders which is always unlikely to pay off.

If we leave three up the opposition will need to keep four back so far fewer in our box, just can''t u dears tans why we don''t do this

I don''t understand why we don''t leave Murphy there - he''s unlikely to win a header in his own box and has pace to burn to beat most defenders if the ball does get played up. Unfortunately the possession based game that we play doesn''t suit taking a gamble on a long clearance.

I also noticed that the Sheff Utd player who stayed up front for corners was Clarke, who I''d have thought would have been useful for winning headers in his own box.

[quote user="king canary"]''Strikers always operate better in pairs''

I think Harry Kane, Sergio Aguero, Lukaku etc etc would dispute that...[/quote]

Hunt and Hurst, Keegan and Toshack, Holt and Jackson, Suarez and Messi, Ronaldo and Benzema, Shearer and Sutton, Nugent and Vydra. There will always be outstanding strikers who receive fantastic support from wide attacking players as in Aguero with Sane and Sterling. We are operating at a different level. Two strikers are required in the Championship. Even the Scum understand this!

[quote user="Rock The Boat"]Bizarre that our goal against Chelsea was a cross from our CB out on the left wing onto the head of our LB/WB positioned in the right chanel of the oppo penalty area.[/quote]

The next thing you''ll be claiming that is a regular occurrence this season. Behave!

''Two strikers are required in the Championship. Even the Scum understand this!''

But they aren''t.

Wolves, Cardiff, Villa, Bristol all play one up front.

I agree it does feel over kill to have every one back for corners/free kicks irrespective of the score, for me at least one of the pacier attackers should be outside looking to help ease the pressure. I am sure the tacticians will explain how our approach is beneficial but it seems count intuitive to me.

But, from memory, I dont think that they had a corner (or even an free kick) while we were 0-2 down, so was that a piece of fiction?

I can only imagine it means being able to outnumber the attacking team by having 10 outfield players to 7 / 8 (generally 1 / 2 defenders stay back. When we had a corner for instance, we kept Lewis and Tettey back alongside Clarke, with Reed hovering between the half way line and their box - so ''only'' 7 attackers in and around their penalty area - versus 9 defenders and a keeper.

I hate this as a tactic with so much passion.

Say, for example, their corner delivery is poor and it does not beat our first man. He takes control of the ball and then..., well, he has to smack it out for a throw in at best because there''s nobody to pass it too further up the pitch.

Leave one or two up there and force the opposition to keep more players back.

I quite like the idea someone posted above of leaving 3 up top. Leave a striker and two wingers up there. That''ll make things a bit more interesting! Back when I was playing, as a short attacker, I''d go and stand near the centre spot to keep their defence as far back as possible!

Anyone remember Leicester vs Norwich a couple of seasons back? Every time we won a corner I was bricking it! Leicester would have 3 players on the half way line in sprint position ready to counter-attack. Meaning we had to keep at least 4 players back defending.

@Swindon

That’s just it. I’m sure that nobody could put out a good positive reason for it. I certainly don’t feel we have been better defensively because of it

Totally inept tactic which I''m afraid is symptomatic of Farkes stifling tactics!

I''d like to see 4 4 1 or 4 4 2 formations with proper wide players cause I''m sure we''d be better!