Sign in to follow this  
Crazy Eddie

AWOL supporters: Bow your heads in shame

Was at game today but some weren''t, it''s been a long time since I''ve seen empty seats at Carrow road (outside of the away allocation that is) and with attendance down to 91% today I think there are some fair weather fans out there who should buck their ideas up or else pass their tickets on to those deserving of them. Yes, it was still a good attendance, but the place should be packed to the rafters, as it was every game last season even though supporters more often than not were leaving dissappointed. I found it a disheartening sight today.

Anyway, on to the game itself. Great result, that''s the most important thing. First half better than the second. Knocked it around well in the first half, but in the second we got a little cocky and as a result gave the ball away a lot. It was interesting to see how much more varied and even our passing was without the option of Hucks, hope this continues once he returns (at the expense of Brennan, which will be rough on him). Greens distribution was better, the midfield actually looked strong (first half more so), and in defense the central pairing, for the main part, did a good job while the full backs ably supported the attack (welcome back Drury). I will say that Flemming still had a few dodgy moments (needs to jump higher) and although we kept a clean sheet we won''t against better opposition unless we improve still further in defense. We were lucky not to concede a couple of goals, they hit the woodwork and Green needed to be at his best on a number of occasions. That said, we could have had 4 ourselves, Ashton hit the wood and Lisbie scored but was rightly disallowed for off-side.

In such a welcome team display it is harsh to pick out individuals, but I shall do so anyway:

Safri - if he put a foot wrong I didn''t see it (aside from getting into argy-bargy with the opposition and then Green!)

Colin - if Louis-jean wants back in the team he''s going to have to work damn hard on the evidence of this performance. Colin is getting pulled put of position less and less and going forward he crossed for Ashton''s goal and weighed in with neat passes throughout.

McVeigh - I was happy to see him start and he did not disappoint. Linked up well with Ashton, inventive and gave us another dimension.

Ashton and Green - scored and kept clean sheet repectively, without which I wouldn''t be so happy.

More of the same please (only more of it, if that makes sense).

A 12.45 kick-off doesn''t help, some people probably have to work half days saturday and couldn''t make it. I don''t see how fair-weather fans could pass their tickets on when they didn''t buy them for the game in the first place

Ehh? If they don''t want to come, they don''t have to! Not like we can line them up and force them into Carrow Road is it? Besides, I''m sure some absences were down to the 1,000 tickets Plymouth returned just a week ago and the fact that the game was at 12.45pm - some people have to work the morning as a compromise for being allowed to leave for 3pm.

Agree with all your points about the game, except that I thought Safri made it easy to intercept three or four of his passes today, which is unusual.

I was refering to empty season ticket holders seats in the Jarrold (and a corner infill was empty). Fair point some may have been working, myself - I make time and if I can''t for any reason I have plenty of takers for my ticket. Perhaps though this was just a blip, time will tell I suppose. Hopefully we can carry on winning and this issue will never again come up. I''d welcome thoughts on the game itself.

Slightly off topic, but I was not impressed with the young "oik" sitting behind me (I guess he was Block O, Row G or H) who made loads of negative remarks about the players in the second half (pretty much what we hear on here occasionally), and then when people started leaving he made a chant of loyal supporters.

This is not on at all - I do not wish to drag up that big debate again, but I felt in the circumstances I have to because some of the people who were leaving when he said it were disabled who may feel it is best to leave slightly early to avoid causing hold-ups or get into difficulty....I obviously don''t know the correct reason for their departures, but even so that "chant" should be banished forever.

Crazy Eddie - I have a confession to make. I think I might be one of your ''fairweather fans''. I have a season ticket and one in the name of my nephew. He sometimes comes - but if not I usually take a friend or other relative. Unfortunately, my friend who usually comes couldn''t and I was away on business in Latvia all week so didn''t arrange for someone to come - so had an empty seat next to me. I feel very ashamed!!

However, I did cut my business trip short by a day, left the hotel at 2 a.m. this morning and traveled from Riga to be at the game. I guess your day was similar!!?!?!