Sign in to follow this  
king canary

This Edwards Loan...

Obviously you don''t want to be negative before a player has even stepped on the pitch for us but I''m a bit baffled by what we''ve seen/heard so far.

As soon as he joins there is an article highlighting his work rate and attitude issues. He''s then injured for his first game with us and now Farke has already come out saying he needs to work harder and do more and is ''not ready'' to play yet despite being here longer than all our other new signings.

It really doesn''t look promising.

Seems to be all for the benefit of Spurs if you ask me. If we sort him out they get a player back with a markedly improved attitude and who we can;t afford to sign. Not sure whats really in it for us.

i would question the message both this and the Leitner signing send out in terms of our aspirations this season. I think both show that any claim we are making an attempt to make the playoffs are lip service. We have brought in 5 signings, one of which won;t join us til the summer, one of which was injured and now we are told isn;t ready for the squad, and another loanee who appears weeks away from featuring as well. Whilst they may be promising players these are not the signings of a club trying seriously to make up the gap between us and the top 6.

On reflectoon perhaps the Edwards loan is more about proving ourselves to spurs as a suitable loan location for their young players in the future.

Ravel Morrison springs to mind......the industry makes them megastars before they''ve even come close to realising their full potential.

You can''t blame them though! If you give someone the world overnight who has come from an unprivileged background their desires and motivations change instantly.

If you worked in Tesco and got paid a million quid to sit on the check out why would you ever put yourself up for the stress of a managers job.

I''d be dead if I was on the sort of money these young lads are on when I was 16/17, it''s obscene.

Maybe this has been taken the wrong way, Farke seemed to say he was very good with the ball, just not so good without it (defensively I would guess) so in that he''s not ready to fit into our heavily off the ball dependent system.

Doesn''t mean he won''t be any good, there''s a long way to go yet.

I think its more a case of us trying to prove to spurs that we can "sort him out" so they maybe chuck a few more loans our way in the future.

[quote user="AJ"]Maybe this has been taken the wrong way, Farke seemed to say he was very good with the ball, just not so good without it (defensively I would guess) so in that he''s not ready to fit into our heavily off the ball dependent system.

Doesn''t mean he won''t be any good, there''s a long way to go yet.[/quote]

Yes i think thats what he meant in which case its not great reporting by Archant as the article runs the risk of upsetting the player if you ask me.

[quote user="DDD In The Fine City"]We are paying nothing for him, no risk or financial loss, perfect for a skint club[/quote]

What sorting out other clubs problems? Give me strength....

I can''t say I''m a huge fan of having too many loan players.

I suppose in this case, if Edwards can get his head down and show a maturity and work ethic to compliment his reported skills then we could have a very useful player for the last few months of the season.

If not... he''s back to spurs with nothing lost on our part.

I despair at some of you.   The bottom line is that you would think any fan would want to get a talented player and want to see him in a yellow shirt. If Messi came here on loan for the rest of the season would you complain that he wasn''t worth getting because he was a loan player?  If Farke can get the lad straight and focussed and he gets on the pitch and delivers some stunning play, then what''s to worry about?  The whole point of getting young loan players in is to supplement and raise the level of the squad as a whole, even if they are only at the club for a short while  I even saw someone the other day wanting Maddison gone now because he will be gone by the summer anyway!!  The way of clubs like ours is to get young talent in and people need to get used to a more short term way of things - players are less likely to be at the club for years and years.  All credit to the ones that have stayed, but success for us is based on a different premise in the new way of things - it is based on young talent and quick turnover. Buy for less, supplement with quality loan players and we should see an exciting and vibrant brand of football.  Sell on for a profit and dothe same again.  If at some stage we get promoted we do a similar thing, we don''t go mad and spend all the money as McNally insisted we had to do, we just keep to the same plan and if we stay in the PL for a few seasons all well and good, but if we get relegated, we are not bothered by it financially or in any other way - we will just be the modern version of the yo yo club we always have been. Enjoy the talented players we get while they are here and then wish them well, regardless of their status.  That is the way of things, the way the club is evolving - and we need to get used to it!  

A friend of mine, who has been a Spurs scout, for many years, said that, as long as we can sort his (Edwards) head out, we will have cracking player on our hands.

Give him a month, if he still thinks he''s Billy Big BoL@*ks after that, shift him back. We have enough issues to sort out (Watkins, tough run of fixtures, new foreign players to bed in) without any other disruptive distractions.

[quote user="Rock The Boat"]If we can sort out this lad so that he fulfills his potential then nothing but good will come out of it.[/quote]

For Spurs, not us, what’s the point ?

I like watching talented players so if he plays and does well, whats the big problem? If he doesnt do well, he probably wont play.

Clutching at straws for a moan..

Maybe this is to show spurs we can do well with the little Messi so we can loan him next season when we could benefit more out of him

otherwise i can not see the point we are not going up and we are not going down by the looks of it

Loans are only any good if you are pushing to go up or trying not to go down to but to stay mid table i would have preferred one of our own youth or a cheap signing to bed in for next season