Sign in to follow this  
Weve (no longer) Got Angus

Super Marley Watkins

Club trying to flog another player.

Interesting how the Pinkun story calls him a winger in the title, and that a winger is about to complete a move to Norwich this week.

Hernandez isn’t adding to the squad, it’s a replacement for Marley.

Watkins hasn’t been given a fair run of games to establish himself.

Alternatively the fact that they have rejected this bid means the club believe he has plenty more to offer, as his Barnsley stats from last season would suggest. Presumably he was a ''Webber signing'' so find it hard to believe they would want shot of him after six months.

The lack of a fair run of games probably down to the attitude / effort issues we''ve learned of very recently. Hopefully he will now knuckle down and show his worth as we have seen flashes of what he can do.

Honesty or don’t believe we would turn down that much for a player we got on a free, has offered nothing and simply doesn’t seem to fit in any system that we play.

I mean, what even is his position?

he has a decent record and he has time to turn it around - if only we had cashed in on Iwan based on his first 6 months here.

More interested the almost post script part of the article on the homegrown disbalance being created; with Pinto, Zimmermann, Klose, Tettey, Trybull, Vrancic, Oliveira being part of our strongest XI where does that leave the new signings - and will we have to get used to having a bench of youngsters?

Clearly Raggett for Klose will help - but not much; time for our scouring of league 1 & 2 to pick up pace..

[quote user="Gordon Bennett"]Alternatively the fact that they have rejected this bid means the club believe he has plenty more to offer, as his Barnsley stats from last season would suggest. Presumably he was a ''Webber signing'' so find it hard to believe they would want shot of him after six months.

The lack of a fair run of games probably down to the attitude / effort issues we''ve learned of very recently. Hopefully he will now knuckle down and show his worth as we have seen flashes of what he can do.[/quote]

1. Pritchard bid rejected, news broke by Pinkun. Player soon sold.

2. Marcel Franke

Perhaps its just a case of rejecting the first offer that comes in and if they want him bad enough they will up their offer.

Pritchard a completely different case to Watkins, been here longer, moving up a division etc. If we wanted to sell him then that''s what agents are for, far better at getting the word around than a local rag.

Franke hasn''t been sold and potentially has a future here. Hopefully the same for Watkins, as others have said Iwan shows why it is dangerous to write players off after five minutes.

Maybe he will go, maybe he won''t but I don''t believe the club are trying to get rid.

Some players don''t fit in at certain clubs. It is still a bit of a lottery bringing in a player. His family might not like it for starters.

A move might well suit both parties.

[quote user="Gordon Bennett"]Pritchard a completely different case to Watkins, been here longer, moving up a division etc. If we wanted to sell him then that''s what agents are for, far better at getting the word around than a local rag.

Franke hasn''t been sold and potentially has a future here. Hopefully the same for Watkins, as others have said Iwan shows why it is dangerous to write players off after five minutes.

Maybe he will go, maybe he won''t but I don''t believe the club are trying to get rid.[/quote]

It wouldn''t have been a Pinkun head story if we didn''t want rid. I think it''s quite obvious Webber is using the local media to get information out into the public domain. Look at the Language, its identical to the Pritchard ''bid rejected'' story.

I''m not a Marley fan personally. He doesn''t seem to offer anything specific apart from a body on the pitch.That may be unfair, but the way he was billed on incoming I took to be an Elliott Bennett-style tireless runner with an eye for goal. That hasn''t quite panned out.If it''s true about the rejected bid, the only reason I could see that we would feasibly refuse it is that we think we can get more for the player.

Or that the management team believe they can get more out of him in the longer term. Perhaps they see his qualities and are prepared to work with him rather than offload at the first opportunity.

That said if he is desperate to go there is little point in trying to keep him here.

Sell as many as is possible so that it gives Farke a chance to build his own team.

It might work, it might not but we are committed so we need to go the whole hog.

Watkins is a weird one, looked good last season but since joining us really hasn''t done anything to suggest he deserves a place in the squad. Definitely a Webber signing, but I seem to think his pre-contract was announced well before Farke joined so he may not be someone the boss particularly wanted; more a decent-looking player available on a free who Webber moved to snap up before he went elsewhere.

I agree with rejecting the first offer; I''d hope if Bristol come back with somewhere north of £1.5m we send him on his way. With potentially 3 new players coming in, I''d rather see the likes of Cantwell get the last spot on the bench to be honest.

I watched him score an absolute belter in the pre-season friendly v Brighton and thought ''Oh hello...'', but he''s been a huge disappointment all season.

Definitely sounds like a Webber signing rather than one identified by Farke. He''s on the squad list as a forward, but I''ve never seen him lead the line or be a goal threat. One half v Sheff Wed is about all we''ve seen and then Farke calls him out in his press conference last week. Maybe he doesn''t fancy the 10-15k runs a day or hasn''t settled in the area.

I can see this coming, once we sign Srbeny & Hernandez, with Edmunds on loan and Farkes recent frustration with Watkins, this has to happen, it might just go a long way to cover the fees for the incoming players.

Wouldn’t be missed by most supporters and a player who will be quickly forgotten.

The club would get slaughtered if they accepted the first bid that came in, so if we’re interested in selling, I’m pleased we’re holding out for as much as possible.

On a side note, I would say a massive benefit from playing a strong team against Chelsea, and the positive result during 2 games of open play (not to mention Arsenal), was that we will surely have made ourselves more desirable to any potential transfer targets who watched on. Had we played an inexperienced side and got hammered then it’s possible we may not be seeing the 3 players that are predicted to be signing for us. They will surely have been impressed with what they saw. It can only have helped us in this transfer window I feel.

If we had applied the "he has done nothing.. sell he is rubbish" approach to Iwan we would have missed his best years. Last season had more assists & goals than Howson.

Farke quotes about him last week seemingly not fair according to Nick Mashiter.

All badly managed if you ask me...

[quote user="keelansgrandad"]Some players don''t fit in at certain clubs. It is still a bit of a lottery bringing in a player. His family might not like it for starters.

A move might well suit both parties.[/quote]

Is it just me seeing a bit of a common theme developing here? Watkins not rated - poor attitude. Wildschut not rated - farmed out on loan. Jerome - more than happy to jump ship with his bad back and immediately is fit to play. Oliveira - not even able to score in a brothel and at times looking rather disinterested. Naismith - injured for God knows how long (and on big wages) and starts to regularly play when he escapes. Just saying. Any ideas why this is?

Need to clear out the high earners & replace with cheap replacements. Only way you do that is to make life uncomfortable for those you want out.... Webber has 3 transfer windows & then we will know whether this massive gamble has worked. If not we will be heading back to the third tier where I guess our imports will feel comfortable.

Everything crossed.....

If someone offers us a seven figure sum for Watkins it would be tantamount to negligence not to sell. He has been useless and frankly getting anything for him would be a bonus.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]If someone offers us a seven figure sum for Watkins it would be tantamount to negligence not to sell. He has been useless and frankly getting anything for him would be a bonus.[/quote][Y]