Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

Srbeny better be good...

The problem this season is attack. We are toothless up front, failing to break teams down and put the ball in the net on a regular basis.

This leaves us dependent on a wonderkid to score wonder goals from midfield- when he performs we do well, if not it can be dire.

For years we just needed to add a decent CB to our team - but never did. Now we are crying out for an attacker who can play our system.

Here is hoping it is Srbeny- else the revival will have to be delayed till after the summer I fear.

There’s a slight issue with this.

“For years we just needed to add a decent CB to our team - but never did. Now we are crying out for an attacker who can play our system. “

We had this issue in the prem under lambert and some of Hughton. Hughton came in and sorted the def out but we lacked the attacking quality. It has switched back and forth since then with NA and AN and now Farke.

It seems simple doesn’t it. Once you’ve gotten one end sorted out, you fix the other. Both an unstoppable attack and unbreakable at the back. The issue there is the teams that have that have outrageous resources. The ones that can throw the money at both. I’ll concede there is a med line that can be reached, and that is likely the end game of this little project we’re in the baby steps of.

Maybe Srbeny is the answer we’re looking for. Maybe our answer won’t come for another 2 seasons or at all. But to expect all our issues to be fixed, within one season, isn’t reasonable. The club is paying for seasons of financial negligence. This is going to take time and people are going to need to be patient if they want to see the fruits of the current efforts being made.

Currently I think whoever we sign upfront will struggle in alot of fans eyes as the goals are unlikely to be free flowing and alot dont appreciate the other unselfish work being done if there''s no goals, hence the striker is deemed a failure. Farke has had to sort out the defence, which he has done, most successful teams get this sorted first, however next season i hope to see a more balanced approach to the rest of the matches.

I just don’t think this system suits a striker.

Away from home he can do a lot of hard work to link the play without ever getting a goal scoring opportunity, but a lot of people won’t see this.

At home he just gets swamped by defensive numbers meaning he simply can’t be effective. I would like to see us switch to a 3-5-2 with Murphy/Oliveira up top with Maddison just behind to try and split the defence

However good he maybe it will not take much to catch up with our previous strikers. One from open play from next 15 matches will put Dennis on the same productive output as current and recent strikers.

The problem hasn''t just been with Oliveira.  Imo the combination of Murphy and Oliveira just doesn''t work. They are both too greedy - or at least poor with their decision making.  You can afford one player in a team to sometimes be a bit selfish - but you can''t afford more than that in a team.  The times they both waste opportunities through their decision making, is frankly ridiculous.  Poor passing or crossing, holding on to the ball when they should be releasing it, shooting instead of passing etc etc.  It''s supposed to be a team game.

I’m hoping the recent influx from Germany are players who are going to be familiar with the system we are playing. It will take some time to adapt to the league though.

Looking forward to seeing how Dennis adapts. Think I read somewhere that we are a team that makes many chances but our conversion rate is very poor. Reminds me of Earnshaw.....he was in some ways not a complete striker or especially technical but he sure knew how to score. We need his type again.

I think we lack balance up front as we only play one winger. Now that we have three at the back (5 if you include the wing backs) we should be able to forsake one of the two holding midfielders for an attacking midfielder. At the moment we have 8 players on the field focusing on protecting our defence and 3 going forward. Little wonder we are not scorung too many goals.

LDC, I don''t think I''ve ever agreed with one of your posts as much as this!

The number of good ''opportunities'' yesterday that never materialised into actual chances was shocking. Better decision making and/or final ball and their keeper would''ve been a damn sight busier. As it happens, I don''t recall him making a save of note?

[quote user="Clint"]LDC, I don''t think I''ve ever agreed with one of your posts as much as this!

The number of good ''opportunities'' yesterday that never materialised into actual chances was shocking. Better decision making and/or final ball and their keeper would''ve been a damn sight busier. As it happens, I don''t recall him making a save of note?[/quote]

[Y]  I get that their first instinct is to try and score, it is just that their desire to do it takes over their mentality so much that they forget or neglect to think on a wider scale and make use of better options.  The result is even more frustration for them and for us.  Srbeny will hopefully score a few and put some pressure on Oliveira - and it would at least gives the manager the chance to give Oliveira some time out of the firing line.

I think we lack balance up front as we only play one winger. Now that we have three at the back (5 if you include the wing backs) we should be able to forsake one of the two holding midfielders for an attacking midfielder. At the moment we have 8 players on the field focusing on protecting our defence and 3 going forward. Little wonder we are not scorung too many goals.

I believe you are right for home matches. If the opposition come to Carrow Road knowing that there is a good possibility we won''t score more than one goal, no matter our selection, then they know scoring early against us puts us behind the proverbial eight ball most of the time.

I think we could perhaps go for it early at home and try to put the opposition off rather than letting them be comfortable so early on.

And that would entail one of the two defensive midfielders playing further up or being replacing by another striker.

[quote user="Kanadyan Kanary"] At the moment we have 8 players on the field focusing on protecting our defence and 3 going forward. Little wonder we are not scorung too many goals.[/quote] There should be 11 players focussing on defending when the opposition have the ball and are attacking. There should be 11 players focussing on mounting an effective attack when we have the ball and the situation is right. And there should be 11 players switched on and looking for the right moment (the right moment to mount a concerted attack, the right moment to shut the door).
As regards goals, it isn''t necessary to score "many", only one more than the opposition in any game. The best way to achieve that, home or away, is by keeping a clean sheet.