Sign in to follow this  
Samwam27

Srneby or Oliviera

However you dress it up - the goals for column this season is woeful- and NO just is not justifying his wage. 2 goals in 17, one of which is a penalty, is frankly appalling for any striker. So out of form at best or totally mis-suited to our style of play.

Personally I hate lone strikers. I much prefer 2 up front as it brings out the best in each. But that isn''t how we are lining up and we need better options up front (which we cannot afford) as a matter of urgency.

[quote user="Ian"]MP, the lone striker is expected to do a hell of a lot for his pay cheque in addition to "just" scoring goals. [/quote]Think you''ve summed it up nicely by saying "in addition to just scoring goals"Yes that''s all fine if he was scoring goals but he isn''t.Surely that should be his main objective because that is what he is the team to do.

[quote user="Alex "][quote user="Making Plans"]All very well working hard etc etc but at the end of the day he''s a striker who didn''t score (again) and he really should have.[/quote]

Please tell me how many chances Nelson Oliveira was gifted on a plate today????, because I’m all ears.

I like the way DF has us playing now, but clearly goalscoring chances are at a premium.[/quote]Reed skimmed one across the box that was just begging to be tapped in - but goal scoring chances are at a premium at the moment and that isn''t really his fault.But his desperation to score is definitely affecting his decision making - there was another ''chance'' yesterday when he made a hopeless attempt to turn between two defenders and lost the ball immediately when he could have played the ball out to the right and given Murphy a clear run/shot at goal.Everybody makes mistakes of course, but for me that moment summed up Nelson''s form and I think its gone on for too long to just hope that he eventually bangs one in and it''s all good again.

I must have been watching a totally different game to the rest of you. He won the ball several times, held his defender off, then turned them and ran with the ball-5 or 6 times at least. Can''t remember if these were from Gunn''s clearances or from other balls played up to him but I think the underlying trend in the criticism is that he doesn''t put in the effort which is a total fallacy as far as I can see.

[quote user="STFU"]I must have been watching a totally different game to the rest of you. He won the ball several times, held his defender off, then turned them and ran with the ball-5 or 6 times at least. Can''t remember if these were from Gunn''s clearances or from other balls played up to him but I think the underlying trend in the criticism is that he doesn''t put in the effort which is a total fallacy as far as I can see.[/quote]He is putting in the effort now - the penny has dropped - but his decision making is still wayward and opportunities for the team go begging.

Well, whatever your opinion of Oliveira, I think everyone would agree that he was much improved yesterday?

I would love to have more than one striker too DCB, but all mobile ones. Love seeing teams like Man Utd and the way they flood attacking areas (Martial, Lukaku, Rashford, etc). It''s the intention not the resources I''m alluding to before someone suggests you cannot compare us. I think we should compare ourselves to the attacking styles of the best.

Let''s wait and see!

We know Oliveira''s preferred style of play, and many feel that it doesn''t fit well with the slower speed in movements initiated from the back. What we don''t have a clear idea about yet is the preferred, i.e. effective, style which suits Srneby''s style, or whether he can adapt.

From the few videos of goals scored by the German, he seems highly mobile, and like Oliveira has decent long shots, but I lack information on how good he is with lightning touches around goal, or with headers. His rate of scoring has been impressive this season, but I fear that if our approach is as slow as it has been at times he may not

be any more effective than Oliveira.

I don''t think the new lad can do any worse. Yes Oliveira was more committed yesterday, but he should show that same commitment every game and for 90 minutes, he is after all fairly well paid.

I personally would not lose any sleep if he was sold in this transfer window.

Yes he did work hard yesterday but appeared to tire come the second half. That in my eyes seems to be the time to sub him.

But can we afford to use a sub on a player who tires early in the second half?

To be fair to Oliveira, the way we play at times, I doubt having Harry Kane in the side would make an overwhelming difference.

We just are not a team, certainly at the moment, who support the main striker in numbers.

I think he''s more likely to feature in an U23s game before he starts ahead of Oliveira. The club need to take a look at him in action. In some respects I was surprised (pleasantly) to see him on the bench on Saturday.

If he''s in the first team squad he probably won''t feature for the U23''s, however, I agree, in this case it is likely he might get a bit of game time before being considered ahead of Oliveira. Plus, the added pressure on Oliveira to perform was evident at the weekend IMO, I acknowledge he didn''t score, but his workrate was excellent.

Leitner found out very quickly that the game is different from what they are used to abroad. They''ll be much more ready after a week on the training pitch though I''m sure.

[quote user="king canary"]So you want to throw out the formation that has worked so well of late? Why?

Wasn''t at the game but in the first half the radio commentators were complimenting how hard Nelson was working but suggested he tailed off in the second.[/quote]

The formation is NOT working at home!

[quote user="keelansgrandad"]To be fair to Oliveira, the way we play at times, I doubt having Harry Kane in the side would make an overwhelming difference.

We just are not a team, certainly at the moment, who support the main striker in numbers.[/quote]

I wonder if a change of deodorant would help. None of our players seem to want to go anywhere near him!

Constantly hiding - never runs near post for a cross, very rarely near penalty spot when wingers have ball, just stands on outskirts of area and blames winger when cross doesn’t find him. Can’t head a ball, fancy flicks often lose the ball - hold up play horrible!