Sign in to follow this  
Samwam27

Srneby or Oliviera

For those at today''s game how did NO perform?

Is that now 2 goals (one a penalty) in 17 for NO?

Is it time to see the new hotshot given a run ahead of NO?

If it''s a confidence thing, we need to get him playing whilst he''s still ticking hot, so hopefully we''ll blood Srneby soon.

Personally would like to see a 4-4-2 with both NO & Srneby up front together, but doubt that

So you want to throw out the formation that has worked so well of late? Why?

Wasn''t at the game but in the first half the radio commentators were complimenting how hard Nelson was working but suggested he tailed off in the second.

KC didn''t say I want to throw out our formation. A personal opinon that NO will thrive, and plays better, off another striker, that''s all.

And you''d have to change to a formation that Farke isn''t going to drop.

Think NO is a great striker, but this formation/style doesn''t suit him, so how many more games do you give someone who''s not scoring?

You said you''d like to see 4-4-2- how is that not getting rid of the formation that has worked so well?

I don''t really know how long you give Nelson- the new lad is still adjusting and I think Nelson remains a better option that Watkins or Murphy upfront so I''d stick with him for now.

NO flatters to deceive.

How many headers does he win?

How many times does he shoot when he''s got a decent chance - & how many times does he shoot when there''s very little chance?

And what on earth was that all about at the end of the first half when he tried to roll the ball past the keeper from the edge of the box? It was a really weak effort when presented with a clear sight of goal.

He''s clearly big, strong & talented. But he''s operating nowhere near the level he should be.

NO worked very hard, competed well in the air, some good turns and runs-he swapped with Josh a few times which seemed to work well, just needed a pass to come off and one or the other would have had a goal. I’d carry on with NO starting for now.

Watkins was pretty rubbish-the only time he win the ball in the air was when none of the players knew where it was and it hit him on the back.

Oliviera did ok today - linked up well with Maddison in first half - Murphy however was disappointing - one of those days where he seemed to lack confidence and he added very little - very inconsistent this season - think he may be one that is in danger of losing his place to one of the new recruits.

Didn’t help that Josh went down twice under challenges when on the edge of the box but didn’t get a foul-not sure that they were fouls, but very soon after the second one a Brentford player went down on the edge of our box to a similar challenge and the ref-who didn’t get a lot right-gave a free kick in a dangerous area.

Not a NO fan by any stretch, but thought he was very decent indeed today. Worked hard, much better hold up play, just needs a bit more confidence in front of goal.

[quote user="Ian"]Not a NO fan by any stretch, but thought he was very decent indeed today. Worked hard, much better hold up play, just needs a bit more confidence in front of goal.[/quote] I''m afraid cynicism gets the better of me when it comes to NO. Was it just coincidence that the performance improved with Sbreny''s arrival on the bench? Much like when it happens to be a "shop window" match with the TV cameras present. 

He''s lacking confidence and so is over-trying when the chances come, we''ve all been there, regardless of level.

I think some time on the bench might do him some good.

Nelson is currently playing as an interchangeable 1 in an attacking trio, where he isn''t necessarily the main man for goals. I can see this as being a factor in his perceived strop for the last few weeks as a striker like him wants to be the goal threat; he will be coming in for criticism from fans + management alike for a lacking in effort and linkup with few chances to do what he values.I saw a lot more from NO today which I think most can determine comes from Srbeny arriving, who is a target man with an eye for goal but, more importantly, an eye for an assist as well. He''s purpose-built for the role. But if it gets Oliveira firing top gun at the threat of not being the best striker at the club, it''s more than worth the fee we packed off to Germany.

Did okay today but disapointed with his body language - If a ball doesn''t come to his feet, he seems to give the ''WTF! look'' to team mates - his lack of challenging for headers is another concern for a number 9

Give the new guy a run ASAP

According to the radio he played well first half , "certainly looks up for it", they said. But if he is looking for a move away, today was his last chance to impress so that might explain the extra effort. You can''t possibly choose between Olive and Srbeny having not seen Dennis play. If Dennis thrives on lots of crosses and balls into the box then he could well find it difficult, at first.

Thought Nelson worked hard today but his decision making was poor and has for a while looked as though he couldn''t buy a goal.Very frustrating because he clearly has ability but still not convinced he is ever going to be the striker we need, and certainly he isn''t at the moment so I''d give new guys a try and let''s see what they can do.Don''t think we have too much to lose at the moment.

MP, the lone striker is expected to do a hell of a lot for his pay cheque in addition to "just" scoring goals.

Got to give him credit, I thought his performance was much more committed today. He''s never going to be the 20 goal a season man playing in this role.

[quote user="Taylor324"]Did okay today but disapointed with his body language - If a ball doesn''t come to his feet, he seems to give the ''WTF! look'' to team mates - his lack of challenging for headers is another concern for a number 9

Give the new guy a run ASAP[/quote]

He certainly challenged for-and won-a number of headers today.

I thought he did Ok today, just needs, as the cliche goes  '''' to have one go in, even if its off his arris'''', then i think we''d see him back on it. There''s no doubt he''s a bit of a hot head. Imagine how angry he is with himself that he isnt scoring.That can''t help.

As others have stated, Oliveira''s commitment was there today but his decision-making is off. The desperation for a goal seems to be stopping him from passing to team-mates at times when they are better-placed to score.

There''s a lot required of him in the system that Farke prefers, which includes setting others up. We can''t keep relying on a young lad in his first full season with us to keep scoring wonder goals.

Agree with pretty much everyone else. Had certainly been good against Chelsea and again today. Seems to be discovering a bit of workmanship. Having competition will help both perform better, it''ll certainly be interesting to see what Srneby offers as I have no idea of his playing style. I''ll assume he''s more an out and out striker whereas Oliveira is more of a ball player.

Agree with comments about his poor decision making, but that comes down to confidence. If he was banging them in we wouldn''t be complaining but all of the front 3 need to weigh in with goals, both Murphy and Oliveira have been light in that area lately and neither looked like scoring either.

Thank God for Madison!

He''s never been shy at having an attempt at goal when others might have passed but I thought he played more passes than normal when in the final third today.

Problem is despite the effort in the first half, second half you began to saw signs of his petulance.

Thats before you take into account he wins 0.8 aerial battles per game. For comparison, Jerome wins 3.7.

For further comparison, he was winning more last season but less than I thought, at only 1.0.

Also interesting is he is having more shots per game this season than last. 2.3 last season and 3.2 this season.

Smeby or Oliveira or Jerome

Not even considering the review from today, the stats speak for themselves, and I can''t believe the NO support on here.

If this was Jerome they''d be calling foe his head 10 games ago. NO offers nothing 90% of the time. The stats aren''t even striker stats. Drives me mad for every game he plays :-(

I would rather play some U17 striker. Zero risk vs no goals anyway.

He offers potential because he possesses a lot of skill and technique. Unfortunately he wins no headers, comes out of position to collect the ball, has no crosses to feed off and it seems like every single game he goes missing for parts of second halves.

Like someone else said - if Jerome had been in this form he''d have been ripped a new one. If we had have had any other striker available we would have changed him. I was a very big fan of Jerome because although he wasn''t scoring much he generally played well, if not better than Oliviera does when hes not scoring.

I very much expect Dennis to be starting next week and then hopefully Oliviera can come on fresh in the second half.

Attack is considered a form of defence, Every single goal kick by Gunn was met by the Brentford Defenders and immediately the opposition was again on the attack,

Not once in the entire match did Olivera collect a Gunn clearance and most times he did not even try. His contribution to the team was very low.

Come the substitution he was replaced by a player whose passed record was in many ways similar,

Why in heavens name did the manager not throw on the new man who has been brought into the club to improve of goal tally,

[quote user="Making Plans"]All very well working hard etc etc but at the end of the day he''s a striker who didn''t score (again) and he really should have.[/quote]

Please tell me how many chances Nelson Oliveira was gifted on a plate today????, because I’m all ears.

I like the way DF has us playing now, but clearly goalscoring chances are at a premium.