Sign in to follow this  
SwindonCanary

home grown players

Not sure which part of the REPUBLIC OF IRELAND international would make you think that he was home grown?

He''s one of our own though, surely?

It''s not a person''s nationality that is the determining factor. If you have played for any English club for three years before you are 21 then you are home grown.

That probably explains why certain players are on the bench just to make up the home grown numbers. We have enough non home grown players to put out a reasonable side such as:

McGovern

Pinto, Zimmermann, Klose, Stiepermann

Trybul, Tettey

Hernandez, Vrancic, Hoolahan

Oliveira

"The Canaries cut those regulations rather fine during Saturday’s 1-0 win at Brentford, naming exactly the seven players who fit the EFL bill."
How exactly does making sure you meet the regulation constitute "cutting it fine"? There''s no obligation to include more than seven home grown players in the 18-man squad. 

[quote user="westcoastcanary"]"The Canaries cut those regulations rather fine during Saturday’s 1-0 win at Brentford, naming exactly the seven players who fit the EFL bill."
How exactly does making sure you meet the regulation constitute "cutting it fine"? There''s no obligation to include more than seven home grown players in the 18-man squad. 
[/quote]I guess he just means that we''re on the cusp of having our options limited because of it. For example, if Pinto and Hoolahan are fit for the Middlesbrough game then they will have to replace other non-home-grown players in the squad.

You just need the players registered, not in the squad. - Correct? Didnt Watford have a starting 11 of foreign loans when last in the champs?

May be I am wrong.

At present, Section 5 of the EFL’s Rules and Regulations (“EFL Rules and Regulations”) requires each EFL club to nominate 6 home grown players on their team sheet for each league match (which includes Play-Off matches) (Rule 33.7).

Better be careful for next year.

Following the EFL’s recent announcement, EFL clubs have agreed to increase that number to 7 for the 2018-19 season.

Forget players for a moment, what if a regulation was introduced re coaches/ managers, such as 50% of coaches and managers with a gross income of £x have to be British. Now that could be interesting and could improve the quality of home based coaches, etc.

@Feedthewolf
"I guess he just means that we''re on the cusp of having our options limited because of it. For example, if Pinto and Hoolahan are fit for the Middlesbrough game then they will have to replace other non-home-grown players in the squad."
Whatever he meant, I''d expect a journalist writing something specifically to highlight an issue, to be able, firstly, to get his facts straight (as has been pointed out, the current requirement is 6 not 7 homegrown players in the match day squad), and, secondly, to set the issue out clearly. The sentence about Saturday''s win at Brentford contributed to neither; it was gratuitous, misinformed and misleading.

Leaving any journalistic errors aside, this is bound to be a factor in our transfer dealings in the summer, as Webber and Farke continue to work on getting the squad they want. Especially if the preferred option is German/overseas players from the German leagues. That will have to be balanced with an adequate number of home-grown players.

@purple

You''d imagine a reasonable number of those would come from the youth teams. So next season we replace McGovern and Tettey with Matthews and Godfrey giving us two more homegrown players.

[quote user="king canary"]@purple

You''d imagine a reasonable number of those would come from the youth teams. So next season we replace McGovern and Tettey with Matthews and Godfrey giving us two more homegrown players.[/quote]And Phillips and Cantwell might well come into the equation.

[quote user="westcoastcanary"]@Feedthewolf
"I guess he just means that we''re on the cusp of having our options limited because of it. For example, if Pinto and Hoolahan are fit for the Middlesbrough game then they will have to replace other non-home-grown players in the squad."
Whatever he meant, I''d expect a journalist writing something specifically to highlight an issue, to be able, firstly, to get his facts straight (as has been pointed out, the current requirement is 6 not 7 homegrown players in the match day squad), and, secondly, to set the issue out clearly. The sentence about Saturday''s win at Brentford contributed to neither; it was gratuitous, misinformed and misleading.
[/quote]

Thought I read it was seven next season

Not sure where you are getting those quotes from Rolf, but they are outdated. The EFL changed the rule to make it 7 Home Grown players from 2017/2018 last April (https://www.efl.com/news/2017/april/efl-clubs-to-increase-opportunities-for-young-players/).

Can’t see any inaccuracies in the article on the Pink’Un homepage. I would say having the bare minimum number of homegrown players in the 18 against Brentford is ‘cutting it fine’ especially when Pinto will come back into the squad when fit. It means that someone will lose a place based on the fact they aren’t homegrown rather than a tactical decision from Farke.

"Whatever he meant, I''d expect a journalist writing something specifically to highlight an issue, to be able, firstly, to get his facts straight."

Based on my research, he did.

But why let the facts get in the wa of a good story, we''re not used to that on here!!

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]Leaving any journalistic errors aside, this is bound to be a factor in our transfer dealings in the summer, as Webber and Farke continue to work on getting the squad they want. Especially if the preferred option is German/overseas players from the German leagues. That will have to be balanced with an adequate number of home-grown players.[/quote]In that case mea culpa,[:$] because I did think it was already seven this season, so Freezer was right, but then found what looked like an authoritative piece that said it was six this season and seven next, and went on that.

At present, Section 5 of the EFL’s Rules and Regulations (“EFL Rules and Regulations”)

requires each EFL club to nominate 6 home grown players on their team

sheet for each league match (which includes Play-Off matches) (Rule 33.7). Following the EFL’s recent announcement, EFL clubs have agreed to increase that number to 7 for the 2018-19 season.

[quote user="Ray"]EFL site, section 5, 33.8, says 7[/quote]It does, Ray. I see that. My point was only that there is what looks like authoritative stuff out there, such as I quoted, that erroneously gives the number for this season as 6, leading me, for one, into error.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Not sure where you are getting those quotes from Rolf, but they are outdated. The EFL changed the rule to make it 7 Home Grown players from 2017/2018 last April (https://www.efl.com/news/2017/april/efl-clubs-to-increase-opportunities-for-young-players/).

Can’t see any inaccuracies in the article on the Pink’Un homepage. I would say having the bare minimum number of homegrown players in the 18 against Brentford is ‘cutting it fine’ especially when Pinto will come back into the squad when fit. It means that someone will lose a place based on the fact they aren’t homegrown rather than a tactical decision from Farke.[/quote] I apologise unreservedly re. the factual inaccuracy; my belief was based on an authoritative summary from a global law firm! Should have known better [;)].
As regards "cutting it fine", I stand by what I said. There was no issue at all in respect of last Saturday''s selection; what DF was writing about was something that might well be an issue on another occasion -- as your point about Pinto demonstrates.

So, realistically, am I right that we''ll always have to have 7 of these 10 players in the squad:

Gunn, Hanley, Lewis, Reed, Maddison, Murphy + at least 1 from Raggett, Husband, Edwards & Watkins? (excluding Jarvis and Thomson while injured).

Hopefully this will mean more of the academy boys are given a chance. The rise that Lewis has made should be a massive incentive for any of the U23s - maybe Abrahams is next to get some bench time and maybe a few minutes here and there.

If not then as said, McGovern could be replaced on the bench by Oxborough if its just for the quota