Sign in to follow this  
Feedthewolf

Glenn Middleton to Rangers on a permanent deal... WTF?

It will certainly be interesting to hear what Farke has to say about this on Friday, the club is happy to loan players for first team experience so I suspect there is more to this than at first glance, he''s a Rangers fan so it''s hardly shocking he''d be very keen to move permanently and he can leave in 18 months for nothing so best to get something now even if it is just a sell on clause or performance pay.

Perhaps, and this is a stretch here assuming that the people at the club know what htey are doing, thye decided he wasn''t going to get any first team action in the next 18 months and rather than lose him for nowt at the end of his contract following a couple of loans to lower leagues they thought this would be the best way to maximise value. IF he succeeds we get a healthy sell on percentage, if he doesn''t we''ve not lost anything. It is a shame considering the promise he has apparently shown (not seen him play myself) but if he isn''t happy and won''t get what he wants here then why would he sign a contract extension no matter how well he did out on loan?

Can''t see him playing for Rangers first team for a while so it could be a bad decision on his part

Too young to be expecting a regular first team place, sounds like the training didn''t agree with him.

Skilful but not as wonderful as some are making out which will mean extra pressure on him

What''s the point of paying him 18 months more wages when he''s going to do one - not very loyal to the club that has paid to develop him, so no great loss.

I honestly wouldn''t be surprised if Russell Martin has something of a hand in this, Middleton begin a long time fan of Ranger expresses his desire to move to Martin when his loan is confirmed (who undoubtedly knows all the U23 lads very well) and he puts in a good word for Middleton etc.

Here''s a question;

How many youth players have we let go/sold for a nominal fee and they''ve left us to have great careers and played at a higher level than we were at the time?

I''m struggling to think of any if i''m being honest, I remember the furore when people like Kris Renton left (fyi currently plying his trade for Alloa still only 27)

[quote user="The Walking Man "]Here''s a question;

How many youth players have we let go/sold for a nominal fee and they''ve left us to have great careers and played at a higher level than we were at the time?

I''m struggling to think of any if i''m being honest, I remember the furore when people like Kris Renton left (fyi currently plying his trade for Alloa still only 27)[/quote]

How about Dion Dublin? John Fashanu?

Where''s it all going to end

Middleton goes

Naismith stays on books

Yellows closed 6 days a week

and the hens aren''t laying

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/2167136/rangers-glenn-middleton-norwich-city-tweet/

Signing for their youth academy. Only a 2.5 year deal too, so I''m not convinced Rangers rate him that highly, or that he''ll see much more first team football there.

Looking at Toffolo''s tweet, clearly an issue somewhere. Webber I''d guess, obviously.

[quote user="Big Vince"][quote user="The Walking Man "]Here''s a question;

I''m struggling to think of any if i''m being honest, I remember the furore when people like Kris Renton left (fyi currently plying his trade for Alloa still only 27)[/quote]

How about Dion Dublin? John Fashanu?[/quote]Didn''t Chase sell them?

[quote user="Big Vince"][quote user="The Walking Man "]Here''s a question;

How about Dion Dublin? John Fashanu?[/quote]

You''ve just demonstrated the point perfectly, two examples there one 30 years ago, the other 35 years ago. Let''s say for the purposes of relevancy, can anyone think of anybody that is still currently playing?

Disclaimer: Arguably being a presenter on Cash in the Attic is a better career than being at Carrow Road this season! ;-)

[quote user="lincoln canary"]https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/2167136/rangers-glenn-middleton-norwich-city-tweet/

Signing for their youth academy. Only a 2.5 year deal too, so I''m not convinced Rangers rate him that highly, or that he''ll see much more first team football there.

Looking at Toffolo''s tweet, clearly an issue somewhere. Webber I''d guess, obviously.[/quote]Look at his latest tweet......

8m8 minutes ago

Harry Toffolo Retweeted Ant

Never.. I owe the club a lot and have the utmost respect for them. I’m wishing a friend all the best for the future!

I must say out of him and Crowe this was the most surprising.However I trust the club to now ''best'',Take a look at the FA Youth Cup winning squad - almost all who are now playing outside of the four divisions.We criticised the sale of Joe Lewis, Rudd and Steer. Have any of those sales proved wrong ?There is no ''closed door'' as both Lewis and Cantwell have proved.If Middleton wanted away it certainly disproves the belief that we can simply keep players irrespective of their viewsWe move on.

[quote user="KeiranShikari"][quote user="Mike "]Gotta make way for those Liverpool / Huddersfield cast offs ,that Webber knows somehow... Pathetic decision.[/quote]To be fair Adam Phillips has looked very good.[/quote]

Then send out Middleton on loan and like Phillips. If he steps up....

[quote user="Ginja"]I honestly wouldn''t be surprised if Russell Martin has something of a hand in this, Middleton begin a long time fan of Ranger expresses his desire to move to Martin when his loan is confirmed (who undoubtedly knows all the U23 lads very well) and he puts in a good word for Middleton etc.[/quote]You don''t think it''s that Rangers manager Graham Murty used to be our U-18 coach?

[quote user="AllTheReadingFansSoManyReadingFans"]https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/2167136/rangers-glenn-middleton-norwich-city-tweet/

Looking at Toffolo''s tweet, clearly an issue somewhere. Webber I''d guess, obviously.[/quote]
I doubt theres an ''issue''. More likely he''s probably just not rated that highly by Farke.

lincoln canary (& Golden Coppel)

Looking at Toffolo''s tweet, clearly an issue somewhere. Webber I''d guess, obviously.

It appears a lot of your posts are based on supposition and guesswork.

I saw the Toffolo tweet and it did come across quite bitter, virtually everybody who commented on it thought the same. Does seem there may be a few that weren’t particularly happy with their situations which may explain why some have gone on a free.

As for today, looking at West Ham with concern. They were obviously linked with Maddison this week, struggling to get any deals across the line, huge injury issues and selling Ayew to Swansea. If any club launch a last ditch bid for Maddison it will probably be them. Are they desperate enough to put in a huge bid that we can’t turn down?

I did post on a different topic that I hoped we weren''t going to become a club that just buys in or long term loans.

I think we have all assumed that we will be relying on on home grown to come through.

Was Lewis promoted out of necessity or was it progression?

The Middleton sale is disappointing. I only saw him play once, but he did look pretty good.

To be fair, Rangers look to have a greater potential for players. Their days of buying in (Woods, Drinkell, Gordon) look over for now and they have to bring in bargains.

They will finish in the top three in Scotland''s top league and perhaps reach the Europa League.

Our future looks a little less secure and if he can''t break through after the way we have performed at times this season, then the coach doesn''t really rate him I suppose.

[quote user="Rogue Baboon"]I saw the Toffolo tweet and it did come across quite bitter, virtually everybody who commented on it thought the same. Does seem there may be a few that weren’t particularly happy with their situations which may explain why some have gone on a free.

As for today, looking at West Ham with concern. They were obviously linked with Maddison this week, struggling to get any deals across the line, huge injury issues and selling Ayew to Swansea. If any club launch a last ditch bid for Maddison it will probably be them. Are they desperate enough to put in a huge bid that we can’t turn down?[/quote]

Nah, Hugill from Preston is his replacement.

youth players we got rid of that went on to make it big?

i went back 30 years (mostly looking at the youth team names in programmes).. could not find any, except for Dion Dublin.. and Angus Gunn..

obviously there are loads that came through the youth system that we let go as pros (usually for decent fees) that went on to more success..

Before i read this thread i was reading elsewhere on social media where somebody who does not post on here made reference to the thread claiming that it is being used as a stick to beat the club with. Therefore i was expecting carnage with page upon page of ridiculous comments so was very surprised indeed at the sensible responses from virtually everybody except the usual pair i found making ill founded comments.My take is having only seen the lad play a couple of times is that he does not fit in with Webber''s plans for the academy, it happens so i wish him well. Only time will tell whether City got this one wrong and if that is the case we most certainly will join many clubs in the same boat.

Well, we''ve seen with Marley Watkins and Marcus Edwards that Farke expects the flair/wide players to work extremely hard in training, and work hard without the ball. But as Alex Pritchard said, training at Spurs under Pochettino was even harder. So maybe the "not enjoying football" was down to the training regime.It''s a shame, because they''ve been talking about him being such a hot prospect for the last couple of years. But Cameron McGeehan forced a move, and at nearly 23, finds himself on loan to Scunthorpe.

Whilst I''m disappointed to see Glenn go it needs to be said that this is potentially a life changing move for a young lad. Perhaps he just wanted to go and the club decided not to stand in his way.

Glasgow Rangers are a massive football club. Whilst they don''t play in the most competitive league, the club has a unbelievable history, potentially regular silverware, European football and average attendances of almost 50,000 of some of the most fanatical fans in world football.

Compare that to playing for the Under 23''s of a mid table Championship club.... I''d make that move in a heartbeat!

Shame, cos from what i saw of the lad, 3 or 4games incl one ,when he was very young  say 15, he looked to me , a bit Gazza. Whether that is good or bad, in the new set up , i dont know. Best of luck to him though. Ok, i''ll say it. I don''t think this was wise. but, i don''t see these guys every day.

As far as I can see Rangers have only offered him a 15 month contract - hardly suggests he a nailed on world-beater or they would want to tie him up for far longer!

TIL 1010 wrote the following post at 31/01/2018 7:45 PM:

Before i read this thread i was reading elsewhere on social media where somebody who does not post on here made reference to the thread claiming that it is being used as a stick to beat the club with. Therefore i was expecting carnage with page upon page of ridiculous comments so was very surprised indeed at the sensible responses from virtually everybody except the usual pair i found making ill founded comments.

Tilly gets it.

Haven''t seen much of him but on these sorts of decisions you have to accept the managers view, presuming the manager had a say!

Always disappointing to see what we thought was a promising prospect moving on.