Sign in to follow this  
Feedthewolf

Glenn Middleton to Rangers on a permanent deal... WTF?

Just come up on NCFC Twitter feed. One of our brightest prospects, a huge talent – really surprised at this.

Bit surprised by this, apparently he wanted 1st team football and we couldn''t sort that for him here, and possibly he wanted to return back home to Scotland.

I would assume, perhaps, the focus is now on Cantwell rather than Middleton.

No mention of fee, but would imagine it has a hefty sell on clause

Odd thing that he thinks he has more chances of first team football at Rangers than here. Shows the growing gap between English and Scottish football.

I''ve seen him play a few times for the kids, and he looked to have real flair and X-factor. I was really looking forward to seeing him break into the first team. What a shame.

This is a hard one to understand, very talented lad and always playing up a level for his age.Still had 18 months left on his contractAccording to reports he wanted first team football but why not a loan?Confused by this

I find this disappointing and hard to reconcile with our supposed strategy. Middleton was one of the youngsters I expected to see in and around the first team within the next couple of seasons and perhaps even getting a bit of a run out towards the end of this season if we have nothing to play for.

Must be something behind this move that we don;t know about (maybe he has pleaded to move back home) - hope we get an explanation.

So, what is the point of having an academy and nurturing players (any team) if they can just leave.We might as well cut out all the age categories and hoover up players in their late teens.As more teams cut out their academies, should we do the same thing and "steal" talent from others that put all the time, effort and money into developing?

It''s always tricky with youngsters - who would they break into the team ahead of? For their own development they will want to be playing ''proper'' football and it''s something we simply can''t offer; a loan might''ve made more sense but we don''t know the ins and outs, perhaps he himself wanted to go back. As to the quality of the SPL, and whether he''ll actually play, I guess that''s a different thing.

Gotta make way for those Liverpool / Huddersfield cast offs ,that Webber knows somehow... Pathetic decision.

[quote user="Mike "]Gotta make way for those Liverpool / Huddersfield cast offs ,that Webber knows somehow... Pathetic decision.[/quote]To be fair Adam Phillips has looked very good.

Very odd, presumably this power lad has moved ahead of him. It’s odd tho with the homegrown rule and the likes of cantwell loaned out.

If it was homesickness, surely a loan for a few months might solve that and he could readdress in summer after a bit of first team football. I doubt we’re paying him much so it’s a bit odd really unless we have just decided he isn’t good enough

This is an absolute disgrace, he is by far and away one of our best youngsters, loan yes transfer never 😡

I can''t see why they wouldn''t agree to a loan, or at least a buy back option for us if he steps up and does well.

Strange decision when he is apparently so highly rated

Guys on here talking about homesickness...but its stated his home town is Northampton?..anyway, with Middleton and Joe Crowe leaving today, its obviously the younger department today where City are having activity.Should not be totally surprised at this, young lads come and go just as much as the senior squad. Always wondered with our signing of Simon Power earlier this window wether 1 or 2 of our younger lads would be on their way. Middleton has bags of potential, wish him well at Rangers.

This decision seems like absolute insanity to me. Why on earth don''t you just loan him out to get first team football?! You can''t make this proposed model work properly if you''re selling your youth teams best prospects before they''ve even begun to reach their potential. This could be the equivalent of when we could have sold Maddison a couple of seasons back when that 300K bit came in. Thank goodness we didn''t take that eh? Besides he is a winger more than a number 10 isn''t he? We''ve only got 2 of those at the club, Murphy and Hernandez. (Watkins makes 3 if you count him as a winger, which I don''t. Oh and another clubs youngster with a potential attitude problem!). As a self sustaining club we can''t afford to make decisions like this, not giving good young players a chance, even to just reach their maximum potential market value.

Shame - looked like her had great potential and performed well for Scotland junior sides too.

It all suggests personal reasons rather than talent as to why he has left; either wanting to be in scotland, not liking / liked by the regime (personality clashes happen) or thinking he was unlikely to break through (although the coach does clearly give youth a chance) or just wanting to play.

Not all of these come to fruition. Next

I love threads like this, it just becomes a big opportunity for the usual suspects to bitch about the club without all of the facts. It''s always the nasty old Board''s fault, never the player!

Maybe they tried really hard to keep him but realised it wouldn''t work so letting him go was best for all parties?

Maybe the club suggested a loan but the player and other club wouldn''t take it?

Maybe there''s an issue we don''t know about him and him going is the best action?

Maybe the lads agent saw an opportunity to line his pocket and turned the lads head?

The fact is, we don''t know all the facts!!!!

It is very convenient for the Board that we don''t know all the supposed facts, isn''t it?

If they don''t communicate with fans they surely deserve all the opprobrium coming their way?

Had they taken the opportunity to be honest and open with fans then people might be more understanding; but "honest" and "Delia" rarely go in the same sentence.

[quote user="westcoastcanary"][quote user="lincoln canary aka Golden Coppel"]Carry on Football....Starring Stuart Webber[/quote] [:D] Right on cue! [/quote]I bet lincoln has never seen him play either, but any stick will do 😉

Reading between the lines you wonder if the new coaches and Webber did not rate him as highly as all the previous academy staff. I guess time will tell but I fear in a couple of years time we will be seeing him linked with decent moves and will have to console ourselves with the sell on fee.

[quote user="Big Vince"]It is very convenient for the Board that we don''t know all the supposed facts, isn''t it?

If they don''t communicate with fans they surely deserve all the opprobrium coming their way?

Had they taken the opportunity to be honest and open with fans then people might be more understanding; but "honest" and "Delia" rarely go in the same sentence.[/quote]