Sign in to follow this  
Rogue Baboon

Deadline Day

Are we expecting anything to happen tomorrow? And do we think the club is prepared if it does?

I have a horrible feeling that ''something'' will happen in terms of a transfer request or head turning bid for one of our starting 11. I can quite easily see Oliveira not being a Norwich player tomorrow night - weren''t Wolves looking for a striker earlier in the window?

I get that quite a lot of people wouldn''t be bothered if it happened, but that would leave Srbeny as the only recognized striker in the squad. Would we let Oliveria go and have somebody lined up? Marriott maybe?

Hopefully nothing will happen, but the only ones possible for me are Klose, Oliveira and, God forbid, Maddison. Or a sneaky outside one - Murphy to go join his brother. Surely the only way we''d sell Oliveira is if we have a ready made replacement who would go straight in to the starting eleven.

@Woodman

I can see a situation where Maddison is sold, but any deal would surely involve a loan back regardless so wouldn''t be much difference between that and selling him in the summer in my opinion

I believe Wolves were looking to bring Afobe back on loan. As much as I would like to see Oliveira go I cannot see any club being interested based on his performances this season.

" so wouldn''t be much difference between that and selling him in the summer in my opinion"

I wouldn''t be so sure. My Uncle and cousin are Coventry season ticket holders and they said that after signing for us and being loaned back, he became a shadow of the player he was prior to the deal.

Klose seems happy enough here, Oliveira won''t be going anywhere as our only experience striker, and I remain to what I''ve said in other threads, Maddison won''t be going in this window.

I expect nothing to happen tbh

Pretty much agree with that, especially after reeds performance last time out.

I still think if tettey is ever injured we look vulnerable but I don’t really see the worth in bringing in a replacement/back up when we have Godfrey coming back in summer who has shown how good he could be and not forgetting Thompson who has a bit of bite as well.

Add to that the 3 at the back system and we are pretty solid. Hopefully these bundesliga lads can help sort out our scoring problems.

Don’t think any of the big guns will leave now, never know tho.

[quote user="hampton canary"]I believe Wolves were looking to bring Afobe back on loan. As much as I would like to see Oliveira go I cannot see any club being interested based on his performances this season.[/quote]

Didn''t stop Derby coming in Jerome!

don''t expect anymore signings, hoping we don''t sell Madders ... If the price were right ... Oliveira can go , but only with a back-up lined up.

Quiet evening I think, not a lot happening

[quote user="Feedthewolf"][quote user="Alfie54"]Didn''t stop Derby coming in Jerome![/quote][:|][/quote]
Wow. Didn''t realise they saw him as such an exciting signing.

[quote user="hampton canary"]I believe Wolves were looking to bring Afobe back on loan. As much as I would like to see Oliveira go I cannot see any club being interested based on his performances this season.[/quote]

I wouldn’t be so sure. As a footballer he has very good pedigree, and other clubs are bright enough to see that he’s in a system that, I think it’s fair to say, is hardly one that creates many chances for the most forward player on the pitch.

That said, no complaints from me regarding the system, sure I’d like to see more goals, but I also like this German George Graham approach where we’ve tightened up the defence considerably. The rest will come, I have no doubt.

Can only see Palmer coming in if we lose Madders, so we’ll see.

I wonder if we might bring in a RB on loan, but that seems unlikely - Reed did a good job there and I suppose we could shuffle our CBs around to cope if we need to.

I hope that we don''t sell anyone - surely we''ve earned enough already not to be tempted?

Webber''s always talked about getting business done early (3 in one day on 25th Jan isn''t that early I suppose) so I hope that means no last minute surprises.

Re Oliveira, have to agree with Lincoln. Yeah he may not be in form, but in a Wolves style system where he gets chances put on a plate he would score a lot more.

Plus his agent is Mendes, who is in charge of transfers at Wolves? If Wolves decide they want a striker tomorrow it seems Oliveira would be an obvious choice & I dont think there is much we could do about it

That would leave Srbeny, Watkins and Abrahams as are only recognised forwards?

So a completely untried new foreign player, a guy out of favour who playing centrally isn''t his forte and an untried youth player?

You could put murphy central I suppose.

I can''t Oliveira going, not unless another forward comes in which seems unlikely.

[quote user="Rogue Baboon"]Re Oliveira, have to agree with Lincoln. Yeah he may not be in form, but in a Wolves style system where he gets chances put on a plate he would score a lot more.

Plus his agent is Mendes, who is in charge of transfers at Wolves? If Wolves decide they want a striker tomorrow it seems Oliveira would be an obvious choice & I dont think there is much we could do about it[/quote]

Don’t think it was Lincoln that said that, Rogue 😉

Re the right back position, didn’t we sign a young lad in the last couple of weeks from Huddersfield who’s been playing for their U23’s this season? I didn’t see official confirmation but the player confirmed he’d signed on his Twitter I believe.

[quote user="Rogue Baboon"]Re Oliveira, have to agree with Lincoln. Yeah he may not be in form, but in a Wolves style system where he gets chances put on a plate he would score a lot more.

Plus his agent is Mendes, who is in charge of transfers at Wolves? If Wolves decide they want a striker tomorrow it seems Oliveira would be an obvious choice & I dont think there is much we could do about it[/quote]

You make it sound like we have no choice over whether one of our players leaves? We absolutely have control over the situation. Whether or not a bid is big enough for us to accept is a different question but if we want him to stay then he stays. He looked happier/better on saturday than he has for some time. i don;t expect Nelson to be sold and over the remainder of the season I hope he finds form and disproves some of the lazy narrative/stereotyping there has been about him this season.

[quote user="Alex "][quote user="Rogue Baboon"]Re Oliveira, have to agree with Lincoln. Yeah he may not be in form, but in a Wolves style system where he gets chances put on a plate he would score a lot more.

Don’t think it was Lincoln that said that, Rogue 😉

Re the right back position, didn’t we sign a young lad in the last couple of weeks from Huddersfield who’s been playing for their U23’s this season? I didn’t see official confirmation but the player confirmed he’d signed on his Twitter I believe.[/quote]

Ah yes, Jordan Thomas - I''d forgotten about that - so, he could provide cover if needed, therefore, let''s close the window now :)

Ha! Apologies Alex!

Re not having a choice if Nelson leaves, well of course we can stop him. But if he gets a call from his agent, who just happens to pretty much have full control at Wolves, saying that Wolves are interested in signing him and to hand in a transfer request, what is the point of fighting it?

On the basis that Wolves are pretty much guaranteed to be playing Prem football next season, I doubt they''d be looking for someone like Oliveira now. Even with all their riches, I can''t imagine they''d spend £6-8m on Oliveira - I would imagine they''ll wait and then buy a £15-20m striker in the summer.

[quote user="Feedthewolf"][quote user="Alfie54"]Didn''t stop Derby coming in Jerome![/quote][:|][/quote]

For Jerome

I wouldn''t be surprised if Bristol came in again for Watkins and this time we sold him.

I would happily sell Oliveira to Wolves if it means we sign Marriott from Peterborough. Can we have their Maddison as well?

"On the basis that Wolves are pretty much guaranteed to be playing Prem football next season, I doubt they''d be looking for someone like Oliveira now. Even with all their riches, I can''t imagine they''d spend £6-8m on Oliveira - I would imagine they''ll wait and then buy a £15-20m striker in the summer."

No need to wait - I''m sure we''d be happy to sell them Oliveira now for 15-20 million... :-)

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

You make it sound like we have no choice over whether one of our players leaves? We absolutely have control over the situation. Whether or not a bid is big enough for us to accept is a different question but if we want him to stay then he stays. He looked happier/better on saturday than he has for some time. i don;t expect Nelson to be sold and over the remainder of the season I hope he finds form and disproves some of the lazy narrative/stereotyping there has been about him this season.[/quote]Not true as that doesn''t take in to the possibility of a release clause.If a player has been offered a considerable increase in his wages by moving elsewhere then we will not have a settled or committed player by blocking that move.It would not sit well with future signings s they would be wary of joining us knowing that we might block any future move for them as well.