Sign in to follow this  
Bill

Are we satisfied ?

No last minute ''panic buys'' and a few ''prospects signed. A lighter wage bill and quite a few million in the bank.As far as I can see the club knows where it is going, and more importantly how it it is going to get there.There seems to be a far higher level of expectation now, which may be easier to ''enforce'' with those ''on the way'' up as opposed to having players who felt they should be further up.For those who feel the season is over then I have to wonder whether it is solely success, or watching football that they are interested in. I think a few are going to be pleasantly surprised at the rest of the season.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]Can''t believe we turned down £2m for Watkins....[/quote]I guess it''s just the fact that he''s part of the first team squad and we didn''t have a replacement lined up, plus with the sale of Pritchard we didn''t need to generate any more cash this window. He has been pretty poor so far, but then again Vrancic took a good number of games to get up to speed and Watkins has only been playing bits and pieces. Hopefully he''ll have a stronger second half of the season and the decision will be vindicated.Overall I''m pleased - Martin, Naismith, Wildschut and Franke out on loan, and four younger players coming in. Got a feeling that Leitner could be a Trybull-esque revelation for us - good pedigree, a few bad decisions... maybe Farke can also get his career back on track?The squad is becoming more and more forged in Farke''s image - let''s hope we can finish this season strongly and give ourselves a platform to start next season strongly.

Yes

Whether we agree with the individuals brought in or sent out we cannot deny that action has been taken.

Still a bit concerned about strikers as we brought one in and let one go. It isn''t ideal and maybe the influx of more midfield types illustrates the coaches ideas and mentality.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]Can''t believe we turned down £2m for Watkins....[/quote]actually you appear to believe it

ps perhaps you could point out to us where this was announced officially

[quote user="Feedthewolf"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]Can''t believe we turned down £2m for Watkins....[/quote]I guess it''s just the fact that he''s part of the first team squad and we didn''t have a replacement lined up, plus with the sale of Pritchard we didn''t need to generate any more cash this window. [/quote]
We would be right on the edge of breaking the homegrown players rule if we sold him - we''d have to have a homegrown youth team player on the bench for every game as Marley counts towards the quota.
You can''t make an argument for rejecting any kind of sizeable offer for him on any other grounds so occam''s razor suggests that this was probably a significant factor.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]I can''t believe we would have turned down £2m

...so I''m slightly inclined to believe we weren''t offered that...[/quote]It was nothing more than some rag filling out space, as with Maddison to West Ham.

[quote user="Hercules"] quite a few million in the bank.

[/quote]

ahahahahahahahathose lolsahahahahahahahahaa few million in the bank and a div 3 football teamwonderful

Overall yes but time will tell re our signings. All will likely need time to adapt but if we can make a strong push towards the top 6, even though I’ll doubt we’ll actually get/finish there. It will be a relatively successful rebuild season. And a strong finish will help with recruitment in the summer.

I’m disappointed to see wild go. Despite probably being on too high wages, he was a good solid player, and if he could of cemented a spot in the squad for a few weeks I believe he would of shined. But I suppose the load was best for all involved.

Very satisfied we haven''t sold Maddison or Klose. The outgoings seem sensible, time will tell if the newbies are good enough for Championship football.Webber has now had two transfer windows, some on here said he needed three. The rest of this season will be important if only to help attract good quality players in the summer window and retain those we already have. Webber/Farke now have to start showing they are capable of delivering a promotion winning squad and promotion winning results. Not quite there yet me thinks.

Not really.

The total lack of football ambition, pushing for promotion etc has gone from the club by its current owners. It’s now just all business and no more, trying to survive and turn around a small profit.

Gone are the days of Crouch on loan and Huckerby swoop, fond memories. It’s all gone stale.

Delia Out

Well there''s a surprise.

Quite satisfied with the way they''ve gone about it. There seems to be more reason and sense to their buying and selling. No last minute panic buys, which have led us to buying expensive flops in the past. And getting rid of any tired remains from previous seasons.

Not bad, that was a long term, team building window and now just have to see how the new boys fair.

Satisfied? You must be joking. I wanted us to spend vast amounts of money we don''t have buying loads of overpriced players on ruinously expensive high-wage long-term contracts so the club would at the very least go into administration and with any luck get liquidated out of existence.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]Satisfied? You must be joking. I wanted us to spend vast amounts of money we don''t have buying loads of overpriced players on ruinously expensive high-wage long-term contracts so the club would at the very least go into administration and with any luck get liquidated out of existence.[/quote]and no doubt, ideally with a poor injury record, in their 30s and on a downward career strategy [:D]

Im just happy Webber and co laid out a plan to us all and have kept to it. At least it shows these signings are ones we''ve obviously watched for a while, particularly the German based ones.

It certainly feels far more pre planned, logical and sensible to other windows in the past.

Other than a wing /right back alternative for Pinto it seems to have been decent. Can only reserve judgement once we know what the players bring.

[quote user="hogesar"]Im just happy Webber and co laid out a plan to us all and have kept to it. At least it shows these signings are ones we''ve obviously watched for a while, particularly the German based ones.

It certainly feels far more pre planned, logical and sensible to other windows in the past.[/quote]Joking aside, I think that is true. This is the advantage of the sporting director system. But there is another good news/bad news factor which has helped this window. In the past the club has splashed out money, particularly in January, trying to fill perceived gaps in the squad in an attempt to get instant success, either by staying in the Premier League or getting straight back up there.The reality for this window was that we ignore the short-term and could plan for the future because it became obvious we were not getting relegated and probably not getting promoted either. Not the case in previous winter windows. So no need for expensive panic buying.

All transfer windows are an unknown until well after they''ve shut and this one even more so due to the nature of the players we''re bringing in.

I''m pleased we''ve bought in bodies in key positions and I''m keen to see how they work out- if Hernandez has the end product we''ve sorely lacked outside of Maddison and if Srebny can grab a few goals by the end of the season then great.

I remain confused about the Edwards loan signing (how do we benefit from having another clubs problem child with us for 6 months?) and why we loaned McClean back to Aberdeen. I''m also baffled by the Middleton situation- very little that makes sense there.

Agree, I''m satisfied in that we have brought in some ''options''. For the last few months we seem to have had little choices on the bench if things weren''t going our way at home, although it''s obviously a lottery how they turn out.

If Srbeny gets a fair few goals, and Hernandez gets a few goals/assists then it will have been a relatively successful window. If they look completely out of place then the window will be criticized.

Agree about Edwards, not really sure the point of the signing. It is clear he has attitude problems, both Pochettino and Farke have said so, and he has only played 6 minutes or so of senior football. Not exactly glowing for somebody so highly rated. I just hope we arent expected to play him for a minimum amount of games - didnt we have something similar under Roeder?

Also we just have to hope Pinto stays injury free. Its ok Reed doing the odd game here & there at right back, but would be a big ask if it is 4/5 games on the spin.

No - and I''m sure that will come as no surprise.

We''ve lost Pritchard, Jerome and Wildhsut, and replaced them with more risky overseas players, from a lower standard. How can anyone actually be satisfied with that?

Keeping Maddison was the only highlight of another disappointing transfer window, at least on paper anyway.

@Lincoln

Of those three only Pritchard was actually doing anything of note this season.

I believe it is perfectly possible that Hernandez and Srebny can be more productive than Jerome and Wildschut and on much less money.

[quote user="lincoln canary"]another disappointing transfer window....[/quote]You''d have been disappointed if you weren''t disappointed and I''d have been disappointed for you. But I''m happy knowing you''re disappointed and I know it makes you happy too. [:D]

Jerome and Wilschut were risky, poor championship standard players whose wages would do more harm to the club than the 3 new signings.

Zimmerman has turned out to be a great ‘cheaper’ option, Vrancic when played correctly has shown his worth and is improving as he gets to grips with the league and Trybull has been a steal at whatever miserly price we paid.

I’m excited by the new direction and am definitely satisfied.

[quote user="king canary"]@Lincoln

Of those three only Pritchard was actually doing anything of note this season.

I believe it is perfectly possible that Hernandez and Srebny can be more productive than Jerome and Wildschut and on much less money.[/quote]

I''d counter that and say Wildhshut was given very little chance, and the the chances he was given, he took them but was dropped?

As for Jerome, I partially agree, but usually he scores goals for fun at this level. As Oliveria did last season, so whats happened? Farke''s tactics and strategy? If so, are we happy to sacrifice a proven goalscorer at this level, for tactics and strategy currently seeing us to a mid table finish at best?

I also feel if we''re going to play a striker in a role that limits them to goal scoring opportunities, then Jerome would have been the better option when considered with Oliveria.